Solved I am after a cheap head cam any recommendations.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am planning to do a lot more videos this year, assuming I can acually get back to flying at my club. I am also buying a Morbius so I can get some decent footage from the planes I fly.
In the mean time I was thinking of buying a cheap sport/head cam. Something basic that will give me clear footage of my flights. I want it for enjoyment to watch back later, or to analyse when things are not going well. That way I can make more informed decisions, when making changes to my planes rather than working off memory of what happened on the day.
Any and all recommendations will be considered and please remmember I did say CHEAP ;)(y)

slowjo

Master member
I am planning to do a lot more videos this year, assuming I can acually get back to flying at my club. I am also buying a Morbius so I can get some decent footage from the planes I fly.
In the mean time I was thinking of buying a cheap sport/head cam. Something basic that will give me clear footage of my flights. I want it for enjoyment to watch back later, or to analyse when things are not going well. That way I can make more informed decisions, when making changes to my planes rather than working off memory of what happened on the day.
Any and all recommendations will be considered and please remmember I did say CHEAP ;)(y)
Ian, u can see my videos on you tube, SlowJo at dutchlove, I've been using the cheap SQ12 cameras, about $20 on amazon, there you can see what they can do, they are light enough to stick accouple on

mdcerdan

Elite member
For onboard footage I use a SQ13 camera with wifi. It only weights 28g and is a 30mm cube. For headcam I use an old GoPro Hero2.

I simply fasten the SQ13 to a popsicle with tape and put it between the wing and fuselage.
20210118_173720.jpg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I bought one of those last year, when it finally arrived from China via Ebay it didn't work, wouldn't hold a charge. I eventually got a full refund so it put me off getting another to be honest.

mdcerdan

Elite member
I bought one of those last year, when it finally arrived from China via Ebay it didn't work, wouldn't hold a charge. I eventually got a full refund so it put me off getting another to be honest.
Bad luck, at least you have your money back.
Maybe you can find an old Gopro Session 4 for little money.

Last edited:

mdcerdan

Elite member
theres usually 5-10 different manufactures dont get the cheap ones
Indeed, there are a lot counterfeit cameras around, even mine is fake, but is ok for me. The only thing that bothers me is the black spot in the middle of the sun.

vlcsnap-2021-01-18-18h21m59s247.png

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Found one on Banggood placed it in my basket, its my birthday next month so that might make a good present from my wife (y)
No use asking my son. He's just bought a German Sheperd with his partner, so has no cash to spend on his old dad for his birthday.

Last edited:

mastermalpass

Elite member
I built a mount that holds my phone on my hat:

20210118_220319.jpg

This is a 'newer' model that has also been modded to house my ginormous Samsung Galaxy S10+. Annoyingly I put a little too much lean-forward on it (to compensate for the brim pointing up a bit) so when the weight makes it drop, my plane flies off the top of the shot.

20210118_220332.jpg

In 2019 and earlier though, all my vids were shot on a Galaxy S6 in a mount that I just made from cardboard (from a Budweiser crate) and tape. I maybe got lucky with it, but it was bang on! I never struggled to keep the plane in shot... Then I lost it... Then I found it again and threw it away 'cause now I have a fancy foamboard one, but didn't realise at that point that it wasn't as good. :/

Last edited:

GliderFlyer

Elite member
My camera came with a clip attachment that I can clip on to the strap on the back of my hat while wearing the hat backwards.
But sometimes I just clip it onto a rubber band that goes around my head, remembering that you said CHEAP, you could even tape a camera on your head if you needed to.