I am building my first FT speedbuild Kit! Need help on what electronics I should get.

FDS

Elite member
Another vote for the tiny trainer. Mine runs an 1806 2300kv motor on 2s and a 6x4 prop, it flies fast and stable. I get 6-8 min flight time off 500mah packs, you barely need more than 1/2 throttle to cruise round.
I added a little incidence to the leading edge of the wing as suggested by Hai-Lee which has improved the sport wings glide characteristics. I found it needed very low aileron rates and 50% expo for me to get used to the sport wing. If you like speed it will go full vertical and aerobatic and you can go nuts on a 3s motor if you want to risk folding the wing, but it will really scream on a 6x3 prop and 3s, I have yet to dare a full flight on that set up.
I have crashed my TT a few times and it’s been easy to repair. As noted above the modular nature is a great help. The pop off wings have been a major bonus too, they really do stop the wing from getting smashed.
Just be sure to have spare firewalls and power pods built so you just move the motor across. The power pod takes most of the impact in crashes or bad landings. I have made undercarriage for my TT as well, plus it runs an SQ11 belly camera for cheap aerial video.
My experience with it is documented here in my TT thread.

Last edited:

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Because it a very forgiving plane. Because it’s easy to control and it’s electronics are some what cheaper. Think of it as a car if you buy a big car it costs more than a smaller one. It’s also great for beigners because it allows you to go from 2 channel glider to 4 channel aerobatic plane. I personally started of with the Simple Cub and didn’t manage to get it to fly. I was bumped but didn’t give up then tried the Tiny Trainer and had started to see some success. I started with a 2 channel setup and practiced basic elevator and rudder control. Then went to 3 channels and was able to get some air time. When I realized that I can use up a whole batttery without crashing I went to a 4 channel setup. Today I feel comfortable trying new models including the Simple Cub. But I know now many things that I wouldn’t have learned if I would have kept fighting to get the Simple Cub in the air. Others might have even gave up completely. I recently tried to fly the Simple Cub again and still had limited success with it. It seems like and easy plane to fly but it’s not that easy. Another thought about the tiny trainer is that it is easy to repair and would also cost less to repair because you would need less foam in the first place. If you place your parts smartly on the foam board you will only need 1.5 sheets of foam to build the plane. You can read more about my ongoing experience here: Hobby Newbie Learning Diary; Family Included!

Great information!

A couple things though, If I get a mini plane than I would have to buy 5g servos and a motor, If I got the simple cub, I would only have to buy an ESC. I already have 9g servos and a motor that would work.

mayan

Legendary member
Great information!

A couple things though, If I get a mini plane than I would have to buy 5g servos and a motor, If I got the simple cub, I would only have to buy an ESC. I already have 9g servos and a motor that would work.
Not really I have my TT fly with 9g servos. Just cause I broke all my 5g servos. It still flies great.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
I highly recommend the cub and cannot say any bad things about it. It has great characteristics and is a blast with 4 channels.
Another vote for the tiny trainer. Mine runs an 1806 2300kv motor on 2s and a 6x4 prop, it flies fast and stable. I get 6-8 min flight time off 500mah packs, you barely need more than 1/2 throttle to cruise round.
I added a little incidence to the leading edge of the wing as suggested by Hai-Lee which has improved the sport wings glide characteristics. I found it needed very low aileron rates and 50% expo for me to get used to the sport wing. If you like speed it will go full vertical and aerobatic and you can go nuts on a 3s motor if you want to risk folding the wing, but it will really scream on a 6x3 prop and 3s, I have yet to dare a full flight on that set up.
I have crashed my TT a few times and it’s been easy to repair. As noted above the modular nature is a great help. The pop off wings have been a major bonus too, they really do stop the wing from getting smashed.
Just be sure to have spare firewalls and power pods built so you just move the motor across. The power pod takes most of the impact in crashes or bad landings. I have made undercarriage for my TT as well, plus it runs an SQ11 belly camera for cheap aerial video.
My experience with it is documented here in my TT thread.

Thats a pretty good plane!

I really want something a little bigger, I heard small planes are hard to track.

mayan

Legendary member
You could paint it to track it better. Any how my recommendation is and will stay the TT, but as you know we are all just recommending and it’s your sole decision what to do with our inputs.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
You could paint it to track it better. Any how my recommendation is and will stay the TT, but as you know we are all just recommending and it’s your sole decision what to do with our inputs.

Yeah, The only thing I don't like about the TT is that it is a glider, I don't really want to get in to gliders yet.

mayan

Legendary member
Yeah, The only thing I don't like about the TT is that it is a glider, I don't really want to get in to gliders yet.
I am sorry to have to correct you it can be a glider or a sports plane. I recently turned my TT into a warbird: SpiTTT.
Matter of fact I am building a new one right now.
A065B03D-53D7-46C0-9F81-487DB2210004.jpeg

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Flight time depends entirely on battery size, motor and air temperature.
There’s an interesting post here about flying the full size guinea as a first plane. Most of that aside from its size will apply to the mini.
If you haven’t bought anything it will still cost you more to build than a TT or simple Cub.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Flight time depends entirely on battery size, motor and air temperature.
There’s an interesting post here about flying the full size guinea as a first plane. Most of that aside from its size will apply to the mini.
If you haven’t bought anything it will still cost you more to build than a TT or simple Cub.

Ok thanks!

Is it more because I would have to buy 2 ESCs and 2 motors?

Tjhochha

I was pretty happy with the Simple Cub on 3 channels with a B-pack, I still fly it every once in a while. I added lights and fly it at night now. It is pretty stable and does nice loops, I would not recommend inverted flight with 3 channels. It doesn't have enough power to pull up out of an inverted flight so you have to loop down. I have not added the aileron channels to this plane.
I also have a 150% FT Corsair that flies pretty nice when the CG is pushed to the forward point recommended in the plans. The 150% corsair power pod is the same outer dimensions as the standard power pack for the simple cub so I can switch the pod back and forth.
I have scratch built all 3 of my planes from printed plans so far and probably spent $20 on foam board. I still probably have 10 sheets left, I was just tired of going to the dollar store for more foam board. My 3rd plane is a 60" wingspan P2V Neptune (an old torpedo/radar plane that was converted to a firefighting plane.