I appear to have made a thing

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Made from the depron under pizzas from the supermarket and a broken toy quad.
IMG_20181125_215215347.jpg IMG_20181125_215235444.jpg IMG_20181125_215208058.jpg
Seems to have enough power to maintain height, will have to wait for calm weather or the club indoor event in December to find out if it's at all steerable!!!
Still, it was a fun hour of building
:)

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Cool! Did the toy quad have a flight controller? Wondering if you have some advice to give to @Clement on his B-52 build where he is also using two motors from a quad to power his plane.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very neat little build! Does it glide OK? It looks like it might be very sensitive to CG placement, but the motors should be in the right spot to give you decent altitude and yaw control :D

Now I want to find some little styrofoam plates too... :unsure:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Very neat little build! Does it glide OK? It looks like it might be very sensitive to CG placement, but the motors should be in the right spot to give you decent altitude and yaw control :D

Now I want to find some little styrofoam plates too... :unsure:
It glides okay, I taped the various bits back and forward whilst doing test glides until it was looking ok. Only then did I stick the bits down. Tried turning the plane last night and its going to have to be quick nudges left or right or the plane rolls over and dives! Challenging to fly :)

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
You could try putting more dihedral into the wing whilst weather is horrible, that might help the stability. Extending the tail plane up and over the wing might help too.
It looks like a paper aeroplane!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
You could try putting more dihedral into the wing whilst weather is horrible, that might help the stability. Extending the tail plane up and over the wing might help too.
It looks like a paper aeroplane!
The paper aeroplane was the aesthetic I was going for!. novel and fun way of using scrap foam bits and a semi broken toy whoop sized quad ;)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Would winglets help? If I am thinking correctly they help with that whole dropping a wing thing.

Also maybe adjust your end points so when turning or banking one side throws less then the other. I believe the low side of the turn gets less throw.