I appear to have made a thing

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If you have an OpenTx or DeviationTX capable radio you can get a multi-protocol radio module that will bind to those toys so you can use a much better transmitter :D

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
If you have an OpenTx or DeviationTX capable radio you can get a multi-protocol radio module that will bind to those toys so you can use a much better transmitter :D
Yeah,well typically, this is one of those awkward cheap toys that won't bind to the multiprotocol in my Jumper T8SG V2 :(
It's a fun toy, an hour's divertion of building fun - I'm not putting big effort into it.

GMalatrasi

Yeah,well typically, this is one of those awkward cheap toys that won't bind to the multiprotocol in my Jumper T8SG V2 :(
It's a fun toy, an hour's divertion of building fun - I'm not putting big effort into it.
I had my Eachine E010 and E011 bound to my Jumper.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would think if the jumper bound to one eachine model it should bind to them all and work as intended.

Maybe the issue is in the bind process of that particular fc.

I would serarch out binding methods for it on you tube university and see who had and solved the same issue.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I haven't been following this thread but the symptoms you describe remind me of the original research done for the "Gossamer Albatross" man powered aircraft. In their case the airspeed was slow low that any turn or corrective control input caused the inside wing to stall such was their low speed.

For their final project design they dispensed with conventional control setups and redesigned the control systems in light of their research.

Could it be that when using the differential thrust the speed differential between the wings gets so great, (it doesn't take much), that the slower wing looses all lift, (Stalls), and the craft is then rolling and diving to the ground?

Just a recollection of the issues inherent in low speed flight control systems!

Have fun!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I haven't been following this thread but the symptoms you describe remind me of the original research done for the "Gossamer Albatross" man powered aircraft. In their case the airspeed was slow low that any turn or corrective control input caused the inside wing to stall such was their low speed.

For their final project design they dispensed with conventional control setups and redesigned the control systems in light of their research.

Could it be that when using the differential thrust the speed differential between the wings gets so great, (it doesn't take much), that the slower wing looses all lift, (Stalls), and the craft is then rolling and diving to the ground?

Just a recollection of the issues inherent in low speed flight control systems!

Have fun!
It was my first indoor meet and it was lots of fun. Managed to snap a motor shaft on my UK65 tiny whoop quad too. Replacement motor on order :)
Was unsure about taking the 205 and 210mm quads but will next time.
It could very well be the plane wing stalling but I will rebuild and give it another go for sure!!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It was my first indoor meet and it was lots of fun. Managed to snap a motor shaft on my UK65 tiny whoop quad too. Replacement motor on order :)
Was unsure about taking the 205 and 210mm quads but will next time.
It could very well be the plane wing stalling but I will rebuild and give it another go for sure!!!
If you have ailerons fitted you might try a little reverse aileron could provide a minor increase in the lift of the inside wing and hence delay the stall BUT it will only work for minor differential inputs!

Have fun!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
If you have ailerons fitted you might try a little reverse aileron could provide a minor increase in the lift of the inside wing and hence delay the stall BUT it will only work for minor differential inputs!

Have fun!
This is power differential only, no control surfaces at all .... Super basic, just for fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Pity. Is there a way to use the differential thrust such that the advancing motor increases in thrust while maintaining the existing level of thrust on the inside motor. In other words make the advancing wing speed up and maintain the speed of the inside wing at the same time.

The normal reduction of the thrust on the inside motor is causing a reduction of airflow speed under the inside wing and it is slowing at the same time and possibly stalling. In other words have the differential supply extra power to one side without any reduction in thrust to the other?

It would be a little more stable in the turns for you!

Have fun!

Vimana89

Legendary member
It flew, it was stable but only properly in a straight line. Using the banking control it would take a very slow turn, using the yaw immediately caused it to spin and dive, breaking it's motor mounts :(
Totally different type of craft, but my tandem wing scratch build plane did almost the same exact thing when I tried to yaw, it rolled to the side and dove down into the ground. Its a 3ch yaw-and-yank so rudder is a necessity,no ailerons and no elevons, just a big elevator and rudder.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Also, I'm a noob so take this with a grain of salt, but your bird has a delta wing, and I don't see many delta wing builds with a rudder, most are yank-and-bank. If there's a way to make that rudder useful on a delta build, somebody more experienced than I will tell you, but from where I'm standing, you might want to consider going without a rudder, and maybe trying to get the banking to respond to a bit faster to a turn and still be stable. How you would go about doing that, I can't say 100%. I'll take a closer look at your build and see if anything comes to mind, or if I overlooked something. Like I said though, somebody with more experience and knowledge could probably clarify this issue better and give you a solid solution.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Next indoor flying event is Saturday so time for 'Mk 2'.
Motors mounted a little bit further forward to help eliminate the need for nose ballast. Also mounted closer to centre line to hopefully decrease the torque effect of the differential thrust.
And because I have myself a 3D printer, I designed in tinkercad a little motor mount.
Hoping the plane will fly a tiny bit better come Saturday. Fingers crossed!!
IMG_20181219_182342164.jpg