I blame CarolineTyler...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
...for this purchase. :)

She was going on about how she had some new planes she found at a swap meet, and, well, it made me want to go out and buy a plane.

I was at the hobby store, and saw this:

IMG_6045.jpg

It's a winged quadcopter. :) Takes off vertically, flies fairly level, and I can chase the cats around the apartment with it. :) It's actually really fun, even if I can't fly it inverted or barrel roll or loop with it, and it's VERY easy to fly.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

She was going on about how she had some new planes she found at a swap meet, and, well, it made me want to go out and buy a plane.

View attachment 127610

It's a winged quadcopter. :) Takes off vertically, flies fairly level, and I can chase the cats around the apartment with it. :) It's actually really fun, even if I can't fly it inverted or barrel roll or loop with it, and it's VERY easy to fly.
When I bought my 'lil helicopter they also had one of those in the store.....I was torn!!! ;)

sprzout

Mentor
I'll tell you that the Switch Air is fun to fly. The only downside is that they kept the JST 1.0 connector on it, which fails after 20-30 uses. I'm going to perform "surgery" on it this weekend and swap it out to a JST 2.0 connector like I have on my NewBeeDrone Acrobee.and modded Inductrix Pro. It makes for a MUCH more solid connection, and I'm not limited to flying on the little 150 mAh battery that came with it.

mayan

Legendary member

View attachment 127610

The FT team reviewed this product recently looks awesome. For how much did you get it?

I only narrowly avoided a switch Air as well. Now when we buy planes we didn’t need we can say just it was Caroline’s fault!
Totally great thread. Any plane purchase you make blame it on @CarolineTyler :). We love you Caroline :).

sprzout

Mentor
Well...I got a "club discount" on it (Thanks John!), so I got it for a little less than the MSRP, which is $50.

It's not the best thing in wind, but it flies nicely outdoors! :)

kilroy07

Legendary member
Be careful, a replacement wing is $20!! (Nearly Half the cost of the WHOLE THING!!)

Cat finally caught ours.... 😔
It still flies without the wing..... but it’s just the idea.....
(Honesty a little put off from that)

It was wicked fun to putter around the living room though, we’ll try to figure something out....

IanSR

I narrowly avoided buying something similar last night, it was only the lack of an additional fiver and fear of divorce that stopped me, I think I have enough, pretty soon I'm gonna have to start storing them in my son's room too...

mayan

Legendary member
I narrowly avoided buying something similar last night, it was only the lack of an additional fiver and fear of divorce that stopped me, I think I have enough, pretty soon I'm gonna have to start storing them in my son's room too...
Lol

sprzout

Mentor
Be careful, a replacement wing is $20!! (Nearly Half the cost of the WHOLE THING!!)

Cat finally caught ours.... 😔
It still flies without the wing..... but it’s just the idea.....
(Honesty a little put off from that)

It was wicked fun to putter around the living room though, we’ll try to figure something out....

I figure if the wing gets killed, I'll turn it into one of the FT Hovercraft. :)

slembcke

Hah! I visited my Dad this weekend to finish building the FT Sea duck that a friend of mine got for us.

He handed me one of these Inductrix contaptions (and also some cut out foam bits for a “Blue Wonder” that his club had made a dozen of? Need to look that one up yet.)

I’m curious to see how this flies when I get home.