Help! I BOUGHT A TRANSMITTER!!!!.... now what??

Prowla

HEY FAM WAHTS GOOD!!! hope all is well. so heres my question i have a dx5e transmitter dsmx and what not. 5 channels but not computerized. i intend to used it for my simple cub and maybe some simulators. is that transmitter suitable for quads or tri's or should i go invest in a bigger trans befor i get into that?? (i want a gramlin, and to design some)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Do you have this transmitter

download.jpg

or this one?
dx5e-glamour.png

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Ok, so the DX5E runs on the DSM2 protocol and the reciever that FT uses for the gremlins https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM4648 runs on the DSM2 protocol so with that reciever you'll be fine, but some of spectrums recievers may only run on the DSMX protocol. So if you want to get your feet wet and see if you like the quad stuff you'll be fine with the gremlin and maybe some others, but you may eventually need a stronger transmitter.

Hope this helps.

Prowla

thats exactly what i wanted to hear. i picked this one up for 40 bucks from an old guy at a local flying club. i knew it would work for flxed wing but everyone i see with a multirotor is useing some type of computerized unit. i personaly have been looking at the qx7 or the s. but that may have to happen after i get out of school. but knowing i can fly a gremlin and other quad systems is great

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
You MIGHT be ok with it, but most quads want you to run 6 channels - Throttle, rudder, elevator, aileron, plus one for flight modes and one for throttle cutoff.

You might be able to get away without the flight modes, but the throttle cutoff is essential - it'll stop your props from spinning so you can pick it up without turning your hand into mincemeat if you get it in the path of the props.

Prowla

mhmm i see what your saying. could you set it to fly only acro? mhmm or i dont care about warranty could i mod my transmitter for an extra channel ?? lol well worst case onterio i'm planing to get another anyways perhaps my buddy can track down a used one at a hobby shop.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Having a flight mode switch isn't terribly important, and if the one that is available is a 3 position, you can combine arming and flight modes, ie: pos 1 is disarmed, pos 2 is armed with horizon, pos 3 is armed with acro.

sprzout

Mentor
Having a flight mode switch isn't terribly important, and if the one that is available is a 3 position, you can combine arming and flight modes, ie: pos 1 is disarmed, pos 2 is armed with horizon, pos 3 is armed with acro.

It's not critical, no...But the throttle cut, I'd say that one is.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
It's not critical, no...But the throttle cut, I'd say that one is.

Betaflight boards have no need of a throttle cut, they have to be armed before they will do anything. When disarmed, they are safe. Combining arming with flight modes on the same channel is simple with a 3 position switch if more than 1 flight mode is required.

sprzout

Mentor
Betaflight boards have no need of a throttle cut, they have to be armed before they will do anything. When disarmed, they are safe. Combining arming with flight modes on the same channel is simple with a 3 position switch if more than 1 flight mode is required.

Yeah, but can you do that with the non-computerized transmitters like the Dx5e? Are you doing it through the Betaflight software? If so, I wasn't aware you could do that! :)

Having a throttle cut so you can kill power midair if your drone starts tearing off out of control, it's saved me more than once.

Prowla

i was thinking of that after my last post. the 5th channel switch is a three. so if i could have a safe, armed horizon, armed acro that would be kool. i'm still learning the booklet of how to bind and set it up.

Prowla

also the transmitter has a rate switch for high and low. i wonder could that be used for arming?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Yeah, but can you do that with the non-computerized transmitters like the Dx5e? Are you doing it through the Betaflight software? If so, I wasn't aware you could do that! :)

Yes, all of the modes are set up in Betaflight and assigned to an aux channel. Multiple modes can use the same channel.

Having a throttle cut so you can kill power midair if your drone starts tearing off out of control, it's saved me more than once.

Throttle cut on a multirotor is redundant, as disarming has the exact same effect and is actually safer as the FC won't re-arm unless certain conditions are met (zero throttle, level(ish) etc). If just using a throttle cut, if you leave it armed and then hit the throttle cut switch with the throttle up it will eat your face (potentially ;))

Throttle cut on a fixed wing is another matter, I use it on all my models - safety first :)

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
also the transmitter has a rate switch for high and low. i wonder could that be used for arming?

Unfortunately no, you only have 5 channels - 4 for the sticks and one switch. The rate switch will just cut the maximum values sent to the receiver by some value in the low setting. For multirotors you want to leave that set on high and set up your rates and expo in Betaflight.

Prowla

yeah i read after that it will cut it to 70% but good to know that all that can be done throw betaflight.

jamboree1

The 5 series is fine for a beginner fixed wing but the more aircraft you incur the quicker you'll hate having to bind every model and that particular models settings. I still have my Dx5e and use it for maiden flights on fixed wing as it's easy to set up. Afterwards I program it into the DX6

Prowla

yeah i figgured as much right now i just have the one model that i'm trying to part together so i'm not to worried hopefully by next summer i'll have the means to upgrade