I can't BELIEVE I'm actually trying this!! Baby Blender SCRATCHBUILD! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

PoorManRC

Master member
Well, the few who know me and the fewer still talking to me know why this is a stretch for me....

I got BLOWED UP in Kuwait in 1991. My Legs, Back, Knees and Feet are in real sorry shape.
My Hands though, are Arthritic Gorilla Hands! ๐Ÿ˜ž
Pretty much why I've been bugging you guys for pre cut Planes an such..... ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜ฃ

WELL - I'm undertaking my first real Scratchbuild, from Plans, with nothing but my messed up Fingers, not enough Tools, and barely enough Blades! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

I got this!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I hope.

I got the Plans from @jpot1 because I don't even have a working Printer - OR Computer! I'm worse than some assume... But very determined.

This Plan intrigued me becaus. @jpot1 had stretched out the Fuse. I always have trouble with short coupled Aircraft.
So thanks jpot1!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Here goes nothing........
Carmine โœˆ๐Ÿš‚๐Ÿš™

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Here's the humble start...
IMG_20191113_201903.jpg

No turning back!! ๐Ÿ˜œ
IMG_20191112_132724.jpg
IMG_20191112_133241.jpg
IMG_20191112_133743.jpg

I've seen a few older FT Videos, where Mr. Josh Bixler is quoted as saying "I always like to keep my Servos and Control Arms near the CENTER of the Surface whenever possible"
WHAT? That was back around 2012-13...
IMG_20191113_200703.jpg

SO.... I trimmed off 3/4" of the Paper, and SANDED the Bevel!!
IMG_20191112_132956.jpg
IMG_20191113_201125.jpg
IMG_20191113_201509.jpg

Especially the Hinges, for a little extra Strength! ๐Ÿ˜Š
More Pics coming....

But, if you DO know me, don't expect this to be a fast build. ๐Ÿ˜‰

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Does minwax help in rigidity?I've never tried it before I have heard it mentioned as being a base coat for painting.
If anything the minwax takes out some of the sponginess from the FB. Breaks and damages tend to break cleaner and not mash up around the actual break, easier to fix.
Thanks so much!! I plan on making a few more changes before I'm done...

Like the Upper Wing is going to be 3" longer than the Lower Wing. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Good on you taking on the Baby Blender, but man I will be concerned that you will have a closet full of planes that are half built or complete but haven't flown yet. I appreciate the fact that you love building, that's awesome but the only flight attempt I have seen was your Cub. I don't mean to offend, just call it as I see it, but have you gone stick shy my friend. If I had your weather my charger would be a revolving door, a Gatlin gun of batteries firing off the cables. How can we help you get in the air? Your a U.S. air-force pilot, once an airman always an airman right?!

I did the BB with an extended fuse which, if you got the plans from @jpot1, was what inspired me to do mine and It flew awesome. So stable with the longer tail. I do have a whole thread on it if you want to check it out here. Might inspire some ideas. I don't think you need two servos for the ailerons, unless you are gonna 2 channel the ailerons. Mine had just one and never had any issues with roll authority. Here is a vid where you can see all the control surfaces at work:

If you haven' subscribed to my channel yet please do, I have a plan to put out a few more vids throughout the next week or so. Stay tuned and stay connected buddy. I look forward to see how this turns out

PoorManRC

Master member
If anything the minwax takes out some of the sponginess from the FB. Breaks and damages tend to break cleaner and not mash up around the actual break, easier to fix.

Good on you taking on the Baby Blender, but man I will be concerned that you will have a closet full of planes that are half built or complete but haven't flown yet. I appreciate the fact that you love building, that's awesome but the only flight attempt I have seen was your Cub. I don't mean to offend, just call it as I see it, but have you gone stick shy my friend. If I had your weather my charger would be a revolving door, a Gatlin gun of batteries firing off the cables. How can we help you get in the air? Your a U.S. air-force pilot, once an airman always an airman right?!

I did the BB with an extended fuse which, if you got the plans from @jpot1, was what inspired me to do mine and It flew awesome. So stable with the longer tail. I do have a whole thread on it if you want to check it out here. Might inspire some ideas. I don't think you need two servos for the ailerons, unless you are gonna 2 channel the ailerons. Mine had just one and never had any issues with roll authority. Here is a vid where you can see all the control surfaces at work:

If you haven' subscribed to my channel yet please do, I have a plan to put out a few more vids throughout the next week or so. Stay tuned and stay connected buddy. I look forward to see how this turns out
Actually..... I've flown a couple of Planes. Not everything goes on Video. ๐Ÿ˜‰
But yeah, the Cub has made me a bit Stick Shy. Especially in a Forum where nearly everyone can crank out 5-10 Planes per month, and ALWAYS have money for everything they need.

I've gotten a bit of Stick time on my Mini Sportster... But who wants to see an old Fart putting around in a 3 Channel Mini?

I can fly circles around most - in a REAL Plane...
And I'm really good at RC Ground. I've won Competitions! ๐Ÿ†

But I'm feeling SO far behind all of you, and being in my RIDICULOUS financial situation isn't helping my self confidence....

So I'm going back to basics. Taking MY journey starting from FliteTest's earlier days. Maybe I'll learn something!! I'm at least good at learning.

You all will see me Fly. Even if I'm not quite ready.
But my over confidence and over exuberance with the Cub - and finding out that it acts NOTHING like a real Plane....
Well, I have to just reassess.
And without the resources to do it the way I'd prefer.

PoorManRC

Master member
Looking good! The normal one flew exceptionally. I got good spins and scale aerobatics
Thanks!! ๐Ÿ˜Š
I'm not at the point of Acrobatics yet... And at 55, with bad EVERYTHING and no $$$ to fix smashed Planes, I'm trying to use my knowledge of Aerodynamics, to try to make the ones I actually WANT to Fly, a bit more docile....
Always subject to change though! ๐Ÿ˜‰

PoorManRC

Master member
NOW the SCARY part - and the part I've been dreading...

IMG_20191113_233245.jpg
IMG_20191113_233551.jpg

๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Actually, it took me a painfully long time... But it didn't Suck!! ๐Ÿ˜‹
I've seen better, but I've seen MUCH worse. ๐Ÿ˜–
IMG_20191113_234036.jpg

I KNEW if I could get through that, it's all downhill from here!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Don't laugh! I know this is one of the EASIEST of the FT Aircraft....
Baby Steps. (Pun possibly intended!!) ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜„

Now my Fingers are in incredible pain. ๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜ญ Putting my Toys away and chilling with YouTube.
@BATTLEAXE. I'll check out your Channel. Maybe reciprocate? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Oh, on the Ailerons, I explained above... and I'm cutting them about an inch away from the Wing Root. ๐Ÿ˜‰
COOL Vid Dude! ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ‘‹

IMG_20191113_234409.jpg
IMG_20191113_234802.jpg

THIS was a Show Winner ๐Ÿ†
Goodnight Kids!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I've gotten a bit of Stick time on my Mini Sportster
Oh man I am sorry I didn't realize you are flying, You never mention it. How do yo like the Mini Sportster? That is a little plane that deserves ailerons for sure. You have seen my big Sportster haven't you? Great design if you ask me. Like the pick up truck of the skies, solid airframe. Should have built one a long time ago
@BATTLEAXE. I'll check out your Channel. Maybe reciprocate? ๐Ÿ˜‰
I will definitely reciprocate, for sure. I've been on the YT and noticed someone subbed an hour ago, was it you?
@BATTLEAXE - WHERE did you get that Punisher Decal??
I just print them off google images and trim them down and packing tape over them to the plane, for that one anyway. Lately since I have been painting planes I will still print them off google images, but I spray adhesive them to the plane and clear coat over them to seal them in. Works really good.

PoorManRC

Master member
Oh man I am sorry I didn't realize you are flying, You never mention it. How do yo like the Mini Sportster? That is a little plane that deserves ailerons for sure. You have seen my big Sportster haven't you? Great design if you ask me. Like the pick up truck of the skies, solid airframe. Should have built one a long time ago

I will definitely reciprocate, for sure. I've been on the YT and noticed someone subbed an hour ago, was it you?

I just print them off google images and trim them down and packing tape over them to the plane, for that one anyway. Lately since I have been painting planes I will still print them off google images, but I spray adhesive them to the plane and clear coat over them to seal them in. Works really good.
I'll have to find someone to Print them for me. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Yes that was me! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Commented on one of your Videos too.

I really like the Mini Sportster... but really want the big one. For me, always easier said than done....

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'll have to find someone to Print them for me. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Yes that was me! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Commented on one of your Videos too.

I really like the Mini Sportster... but really want the big one. For me, always easier said than done....
What's your handle on YT, which vid did you comment on?

PoorManRC

Master member
TODAY'S PROGRESS...
(I mentioned that I'm not fast!!)

IMG_20191115_000310.jpg
IMG_20191115_000520.jpg
IMG_20191115_000930.jpg

I LIKE Fat Fuselages! Besides it now means that I can add TRIPLERS to the sides!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Be a Badass like the Bloody Baron.
IMG_20191115_001224.jpg
IMG_20191115_001522.jpg
IMG_20191115_001834.jpg

Medical Tape is considerably cheaper than Hinge Tape, flexible and quite Strong!!
IMG_20191115_002157.jpg

This ONLY really works on the plain white Adams RediBoard...
IMG_20191115_002418.jpg

I'm brushing on Acrylics...
I do have a nice Airbrush. If I get anything FINISHED, I may break it out!!!
IMG_20191115_002615.jpg
IMG_20191115_002834.jpg

Please, if you have any comments or questions, don't hesitate!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Last edited: