I can't find a good battery and ESC that work together

Belgian

I'm new to the RC hobby and i wanna build a simple RC plane to start off and i can't spend more than 120€. I searched through hobby king and found almost everything except a ESC with BEC and LVC and a battery. I didn't wanna buy something that doesn't work so i'm asking you guys for suggestions sorry if its in the wrong section.

Here is my battery (it has a low output C because i heard in another post that 10C is "the best" because you can fly longer)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-high-capacity-3s-3000mah-multi-rotor-lipo-pack.html

and here is my ESC. (It has BEC not sure if it has a LVC because it doesn't say anywhere)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-plush-10amp-9gram-speed-controller.html

So my question is is the ESC gonna get burned out if yes then what is a better alternative

and this is my motor just in case someon needs it for something
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hextronik-24gram-brushless-outrunner-1300kv.html

this is a screenshot of my cart in hobbyking https://gyazo.com/214b6c2089f6f47b2b7297f2b998793b

EDIT: And i need a good connector i heard XT60's are good or is there anything better i can buy. I'm fine with soldering

Last edited:

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
The esc will fit. The lipo depends on the plane you want to build. The lipo you choose seems to be to big. For that motor and esc the planes which will fit a 1000mah to 1800 mah will be better. The c rating has nothing to do with flight time. In your example means for a 3000 mah lipo with 10c you can pull 30A from the lipo. Your motor pulls Max 7.4 A so the ESC is fine. A 1000 mah lipo should have minimum 10c, better minimum 20c

Belgian

The esc will fit. The lipo depends on the plane you want to build. The lipo you choose seems to be to big. For that motor and esc the planes which will fit a 1000mah to 1800 mah will be better. The c rating has nothing to do with flight time. In your example means for a 3000 mah lipo with 10c you can pull 30A from the lipo. Your motor pulls Max 7.4 A so the ESC is fine. A 1000 mah lipo should have minimum 10c, better minimum 20c

I don't know about the C rating but this is a qoute from this thread
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?437-Understanding-Batteries-101

"I'm not convinced that a 30C battery is really any better than a 10 or 20C battery. Sure a higher C rating means it can discharge faster. But at the same time a battery discharged at 20C continuously will be empty in 3 minutes. Do you really only want to use the battery for 3 minutes? I love having burst power in helicopters and boats, but in almost all other applications actually running a battery at or above 20C is useless to me. I prefer to run batteries at 8-10 C and have a little headroom if I need it."

Ricci

Well it says exactly the same what i say. C rating is a characteristic of the lipo how much current you can pull max. So follow my calculating example.

Belgian

What do you think about this power system 1800 mAh battery and the ESC is it a good combination because im ready to buy this and it wil cost me about 140€ (including the remote control and everything else for a rc airplane)

Battery - Spec.
Minimum Capacity: 1800mAh
Configuration: 2S1P / 7.4v / 2Cell
Constant Discharge: 30C
Peak Discharge (10sec): 40C
Pack Weight: 100g
Pack Size: 104 x 33 x 14mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: XT60

ESC - Spec (I went with a bigger ESC just too be safe)
Cont Current: 18A
Burst Current: 22A
BEC Mode: Linear
BEC : 5v / 2A
Lipo Cells: 2-4
NiMH : 5-12
Weight: 19g
Size: 24x45x11mm

9f4c4249614f64dfedc816a6243b60f5.png

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Granted you don't really need a high C rated battery for small light airplanes. Here's the rub. We ALL have been flying and gotten in the moment and flown past the time we should have. What will happen with such a small 10 c rating is when you happen to do that you will lose all power and all control because the end of the pack will fall off like a brick. I would say go minimum 20c on any thing that fly's unless you are running separate power from another battery for the flight controls.

Yes you can set all the timers you want and have people kick you in the shins if you don't land but its that one time you don't or cant for some reason land and you will want that little bit of extra to at least keep your radio talking after the motor quits so you can do a controlled crash and glide it in easy.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello Belgian,
You have already tapped into 2 excellent forum members who are giving you sound information to consider. I think it would be helpful to know what you would like to build. To echo what Ricci said, I still do not own any 3000mAh LiPo's. The higher the man the more capacity but it also means more weight/less efficient. If I want more flight time I usually prefer to get more batteries. That way, after a 7-10 minute flight I can give the plane a short rest & a check over while I swap out batteries. The sooner the used LiPo comes out and cools down the sooner I can get it on the charger for another run. Meanwhile I have a couple other batteries keeping me flight happy.:cool:

Since you are new to the forum, how about you tell us a bit about yourself like where you fly, and how you got into the hobby.

Welcome to the forum Belgian.
—Jim

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
You might want to do some more reading and also check out ecalc. It took me a year to figure out all this stuff, but this is a good place to get questions answered. https://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php

General rules of thumb are to go with an esc that is 20% higher than your motor is rated to draw and watch your c rating for your batteries, it is important. THere is a formula out there...

"For a 2000 mAh battery with a 15C rating, the continuous current that may be drawn out of the battery is 2000 mAh x 15 = 30000 mA, or 30 Amps (A) (divide by 1000). There is also another rating that is applicable to a battery known as peak or "burst" current discharge rating."

Check out this thread on C ratings. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1608752-A-simple-way-to-estimate-the-true-C-rating-of-a-LiPo-battery

Belgian

Hello Belgian,
You have already tapped into 2 excellent forum members who are giving you sound information to consider. I think it would be helpful to know what you would like to build. To echo what Ricci said, I still do not own any 3000mAh LiPo's. The higher the man the more capacity but it also means more weight/less efficient. If I want more flight time I usually prefer to get more batteries. That way, after a 7-10 minute flight I can give the plane a short rest & a check over while I swap out batteries. The sooner the used LiPo comes out and cools down the sooner I can get it on the charger for another run. Meanwhile I have a couple other batteries keeping me flight happy.:cool:

Since you are new to the forum, how about you tell us a bit about yourself like where you fly, and how you got into the hobby.

Welcome to the forum Belgian.
—Jim
First off sorry for being annoying i watched alot of videos and read alot of stuff and its hard to remember all that information. So i asked my biggest problem's here on this forum i don't have any experience in building planes the only thing i did build was a drone frame out off foam board so thats why i'm going around asking stuff. Stuff thats probably obvious to you guys but not to me.

But thanks alot for all the answer's i now know how to calculate the C rating (which was very confusing to me) and i'm now gonna buy all the electronic's i need i'l post a pic of my first airplane when i build it. Over approx. 4-11 day's depends on when the electronic's get here.

EDIT: Just posting the electronic's im gonna be using if someon is interested
https://gyazo.com/ce32f7eeb8ff444e6a4b359a42d6ee4e

Last edited:

Andrew

G'day Mate
First off sorry for being annoying i watched alot of videos and read alot of stuff and its hard to remember all that information. So i asked my biggest problem's here on this forum i don't have any experience in building planes the only thing i did build was a drone frame out off foam board so thats why i'm going around asking stuff. Stuff thats probably obvious to you guys but not to me.

But thanks alot for all the answer's i now know how to calculate the C rating (which was very confusing to me) and i'm now gonna buy all the electronic's i need i'l post a pic of my first airplane when i build it. Over approx. 4-11 day's depends on when the electronic's get here.

EDIT: Just posting the electronic's im gonna be using if someon is interested
https://gyazo.com/ce32f7ee b8ff444e6a4b359a42d6ee4e
Hi Belgian,
In your latest electronics list, you need a different battery to the one you have in your cart now (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-1s-15c-round-cell.html) is very unusual shape and there are many better options out there for battery sizes(cell count and shape). Buy the size best suited for the for the model you intend on building.
The esc and motor that you picked are OK but you can get cheaper and better equipment options by using "multi rotor" prop, esc and motor options in that size range if your on a budget , the down side to going this way is they don't have prop savers on the motor and you'll need a lipo alarm and bec.
What ever way you go PLEASE get a different battery, a proper one.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I must correct you

You are not being annoying, not even a little bit, not yet anyway.;)

Would I be correct in supposing you are from Belgium. If so, you might be interested to know we have others on the forum also from Belgium.

I agree with Andrew on the LiPo. Have you decided on which plane you would like to build. If you could share with us your thoughts on what you would like to build we can help you better with the battery selection.

Ricci

Would also suggest to select first the plane you want to build and than the electronic. That will be easier.

Belgian

Would also suggest to select first the plane you want to build and than the electronic. That will be easier.

I just wanna build a simple beginner plane from a foamboard like the ones you see in the flitetest beginner series they just put the electronic's on a simple frame you can cut with a saw or something.

Hi Belgian,
In your latest electronics list, you need a different battery to the one you have in your cart now (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-1s-15c-round-cell.html) is very unusual shape and there are many better options out there for battery sizes(cell count and shape). Buy the size best suited for the for the model you intend on building.
The esc and motor that you picked are OK but you can get cheaper and better equipment options by using "multi rotor" prop, esc and motor options in that size range if your on a budget , the down side to going this way is they don't have prop savers on the motor and you'll need a lipo alarm and bec.
What ever way you go PLEASE get a different battery, a proper one.

I'm already bought the battery i even bought a second one (oops) it was the only battery that had 1200 mAh and 15 C which is very rare on the website (and it had the battery in Europe alot of batteries are usually in hong kong or UK). But will the battery function like all other batteries it is a Lipo after all.

520824756b6b3944519547168f3bdd4b.png
e4cc9c42a32db0b5be03941a0a582b09.png

Last edited:

mjmccarron

First off, don't get too hung up on c rating at this point. The C rating is just the rate at which you can safely discharge the battery. 15C means that you can safely discharge the battery at 15 times the rated amp hour capacity. Discharging faster than that will cause damage to the cells. In your case, as in the case of most beginners, this is not a significant factor. As you progress, it will be more important. It will in no way effect your ESC or motor. Your issue appears to be timing. I agree, put a prop on and see if the problem goes away. If not, try the different timing settings in the ESC. You are close. Don't give up!

Mike

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
For little flyers like those I would stay below 1000mAH. I have a sailplane that is larger than those and I can get 10-12 minutes on a 500mAH 3S using careful throttle management. The lighter the battery the easier the load on the motor.

Here is one LiPo I would suggest. There are others that are a bit smaller and less expensive but they have the other JST connector on them and depending on what you choose for a power connector that might or might not be preferred. I like XT60.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1000mah-3s-25-50c-lipo-pack.html

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 10.01.10 PM.png