I Can't Get My Quadcopter to Start

SeanDuffy

Tonight I received the last of the parts for my micro quadcopter build, and after flashing the KK Control Board, reprogramming my ESCs and connecting up my ESCs and rx, I went through the standard procedure for starting up the quadcopter, shown in the Flite Test video. I powered on my tx and set the throttle to full, then connected power to my quadcopter. Nothing happened and none of the controls have any effect at all, no beeps or anything, the only thing I noticed was the red light on my rx was lit up. I didn't have any idea what the problem could be so I decided to disconnect the control board and see if each ESC on its own would do anything. So for each ESC I tried plugging them into channel 4 on my rx, powering on my transmitter and plugging in my battery. What I got from this was about two seconds of silence followed by constant beeping, and every ESC/motor did this the same. I'm pretty disappointed and I have no idea what could be wrong. These are the ESCs I'm using: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21246

I'll be very grateful to anyone who can offer me their assistance, thanks in advance!

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
When you say after turning your tx on with it at full throttle,then you connect the quad,did you then put it down to minimum wait for some beeps?

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Also need to arm the board. Full left (or was it right?) rudder at low throttle.

SeanDuffy

Yeah, I've tried doing both the things you guys have said but neither of them have caused any beeps or anything to happen at all. :(

EDIT: I've also had a go at connecting the ESCs individually to the rx and turning them on with 0 throttle, and I'm getting all kinds of crazy beeps and tones, so I think they're probably going into programming mode for some reason.

Also, to make sure that the software on my KK board wasn't just corrupted I've just tried to flash it again with the kkMulticopter Flash Tool and I'm getting "Error during writing flash" and I don't see the LED on my KK board lighting up. Sadly it's beginning to look like my control board is just defective.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
EDIT: I've also had a go at connecting the ESCs individually to the rx and turning them on with 0 throttle, and I'm getting all kinds of crazy beeps and tones, so I think they're probably going into programming mode for some reason.

Maybe your throttle channel is reversed? Change that and try arming again with low throttle and full left or full right rudder for 3 seconds.

If your board blinks once wen you plug in the battery, then it should be fine.

SeanDuffy

I just tried flashing the board once more, only with a different firmware, and now it works fine! It must have just not liked that particular firmware I was using for some reason. Thanks for all your help guys! Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to get my props to fit on the 2mm shafts on my motors, which are too thick.

dezertdog

All ESC's beeping endlessly tells me you probably did not set your throttle end points.

Props off, set the Yaw POT all the way to zero, throttle to full, Tx power on, connect battery, wait for startup/battery beep, then two beeps, move throttle to zero, disconnect battery. Set the Yaw POT back to 50% and turn on as normal.

Last edited: