I coudnt help myself...A big step up from a coaxilal

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
That's it. Some guys use goop, some hot glue, silicone, whatever. Basically it secures the board and helps isolate it from vibes too.

I had a 401b for a while and it did drift once and a while and the hot glue mod fixed it. It still couldn't hold the tail in a strong wind as well a a genuine 401 or a spartan quark but for $15.00 it was worth it.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Well less than 24 hours after ordering the servos and gyro they fell through the letterbox this morning it is the HK401b gyro so the first thing will be the hot glue mod 100_0242.JPG

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
After my Blade 400 threw a main rotor past my head while hovering in idle up......I got a Blade 450 from Horizon as a replacement.....flew it 20-30 times and sold it. I am not saying that I won't own more heli's, cuz i do like flying them and being able to do some mild aerobatics with them.......I just HATE working on them.....they are constantly needing adjusted. you breathe on the flybar and its bent, or bump the head in the car and then tracking is off. its just painful. LOL Hopefully your experience is awesome! Mine wasn't terrible really.....but when you fly on a monday and it is great, then put it on the shelf only to fly tuesday and your blade tracking is off or something is vibrating....its just a tidbit frustrating.

I love multi-rotors for this reason.......unless you wreck, there is really nothing to work on.....just fly. I think am just gonna learn to do aerobatics on a tri and/or a quad. looks pretty fun from what I have seen on youtube. ;)

Just thought I would comment.

Off to bed! Gotta shoot Flitetest tomorrow.

Cheers!

Eric

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3780293263947
Ok so the beast is built....now I am Knackered as i dont no how to set it up that well and could realy use some help.....so i have my tx set up for a 6 channel heli...i fly mode two(throttle on the left) and i have an 8 channel reciever I am sure i Have left and right cyclic sorted and the fore and aft looks good ....throttle works with collective........so where does the gyro plug in???????? all help gratefully recieved...and needed

Last edited:

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3780867398300[/VIDEO
OK so if anybody could help me out there on the tx rx setup i would appreciate it

Hi,

I think this should help a little: http://rctech.blogspot.com/2011/03/turnigy-imax-9x-tx-hk-450-setup.html
The gyro should be in the RX with one connector on the yaw channel, the other connector(with one cable) goes into ch5 I think(following this manual), the tail servo goes into the other cable from the gyro.
I think you cant connect the aileron with a y cable.
When you push elevator to the front, the swash should move to the front, in your case it moves to the front and to the left.
I don't have a 9X with stock firmware, so I cant check if this manual makes any sense.

KoekieMonster

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Can't see your vids on my iPad but as far as gyro setup its fairly easy and identical to a real gy401.

First set up your tail without the gyro. Plug your servo into your rudder channel and put the arm on so it is centered. Attach it to your linkage and adjust until your tail pitch slider is centered.

Unplug the servo and plug in the three wire connector into your rudder channel, the other into your channel assigned to gyro rate. On Jr radios it's channel 7, spektrum is 5, for turnigy Im not sure. If in doubt you can use any spare channel and use your atv endpoint adjustment to set rates. Don't plug in your servo yet. Mount the gyro.

If your servo is digital you need to set the micro switch to it, set the delay dial to zero and power up. The red lamp should blink and depending on where your rate switch is it will either go solid or go out, solid is head hold, out is rate. You want rate for now.

Plug in your servo and see if it activates. If it does not or it gets hot, try analog. If it does work then move on. Turn the helis tail and the slider should move in the opposite direction. If not then change the reverse micro switch. Move your rudder stick in one direction, The slider should move in the opposite direction. If not switch your reverse on your transmitter. then hold the rudder stick over and turn the limit dial until the slider almost bottoms out. Try the other direction and see if you are close on that side. Adjust your linkage if there's a difference in travel length on each side until both sides are even and as much travel as possible without binding.

Your adjustment on the limit dial should be as close to 100 as possible, they say 80-120 is ok too. If you are over that you need to move your linkage ball out on the servo arm, under you need to move it in.

Now you are ready to start flying. Generally most people only use heading hold so I recommend learning in hh. You need to set up the gain and this best done in the air. If you have a friend that is experienced in helis this would be a good time to enlist their help.

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
You can get the gyro close on the ground but the drag from the skids can cause you to set the gain too high. Basically start with a low number for rate and increase until the tail twitches back and forth rapidly and then decrease a few points until it stops.

If you find that the tail does not stop cleanly you may have to adjust delay. Basically delay is for slower servos. If the servo is slow enough the gyro can over correct before the servo can act. Delay retards the gyro's output. Generally if your delay is too low the tail will stop and then bounce back in the direction of the turn. If your delay is too high the tail will wag very slowly all the time. Not to be confused with the gain being too high.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Almost there gents...one more question on the tx do i select heli 3-1 or heli 3-2 If i am running the gyro...the heli has 3 servos on the swash plate and 1 on the tail rotor...I have done an initial set up and the swash plate is nice and square, with the gyro plugged in it is spinning like mad and when i correct it just spins in the other direction....unplugged it is stable and i have it set on heli 3-1 ...is this the reason????I have been busy today so i havent been able to film any of my awful videos but tommorow i will do a vid of it spinning up....havent set the blades cos i am awaitin an inclinometer but i reckon i am gonna get this bird in the air without the predicted smashes ....we will see

Last edited:

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Your gyro is reversed. Change the micro switch on the gyro. You'll have to reverse your tx to or else your controls will be backwards

fred0000

I tried setting up a 450 with a TG9ee on the tail and it was not worth the time, I never got it flying.

neat set of videos, that heli has an interesting belt drive setup, it makes alot of sence, I like it.