I coudnt help myself...A big step up from a coaxilal

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
100_0237.JPG I went into my local hobby store to pick up a prop for my tech one venus 3D and came out with this 100_0241.JPG 100_0241.JPG 100_0239.JPG 100_0238.JPG
It has 3800kv brushless motor and a 35amp esc
Just need 4 micro servos and a head lock gyro and i am good to go....I will come back to this thread because I will need a hand to program my turnigy 9x for a heli

Last edited:

fred0000

welcome to CP heli's, like colorex said don't expect to do well with it right away, I recomend training gear for sure, you may not need it that long (I used it for maybe 5 flights) but it does help.
I skipped coax heli's all together, I had a 450 (and hovered it) before getting an MSr, I sold the MSr once I could hover it well and continued on the 450 with learning to hover and now i'm flying.

thats a pretty nice kit what did you pay for it if you don't mind sharing? kinda cool that it included an ESC and motor.

Last edited:

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
I know they are tricky to learn and i expect a few mishaps at the start. I have flown loads of coaxials and in the early days they had no gyros and took a little while to master. I paid £39.99 for it witch in the uk i couldnt get the motor and esc for that...and i will make myself a training kit for sure...I have sourced the 4 micro servers and a gyro in the uk and they come out at £22.00 witch is a little more expensive than HK but I will get them the next day....I will do a video on the installation of the servos and gyro and then one on the trimming and set up...then the crashes.....keep flying

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Congratulations. It's not the rudder that you'll have the most trouble with, it's the instant response and the fact that you have to keep flying it every micro second because all the self leveling capabilities stayed with the coaxials. CP is a whole different game. I wish you much success, hopefully you'll pick it up faster than I did and save the repair bills.

dezertdog

A few tips:

- Get training gear.
- Ignore idle up, you don't need it.
- Learn where the skids get light while keeping the tail pointed at you, we're not taking off yet. Just throttle up, get it light, set it down.
- Do this about 5-10 batteries till you can predict when it's light on the skids every time. Start to tilt the cyclic while light to learn how it reacts, do that for another 5-10 batteries.
- Only once you absolutely can predict where the skids are light, can keep the tail pointed at you, and can reasonably push it around with the cyclic without dumping it (remember we're still on the ground), move the throttle just a hair more and leave the ground. Then immediate sit back down.
- This is the point where you learn that when you leave the ground all hell breaks loose and all sorts of input is needed just to stay in one piece. Rudder to counteract throttle, cyclic to counter gyroscopic procession. Just get it light, come off the ground, and set it back down easy right away. Easy, don't dump the throttle.
- You need to program your hands to automatically apply "lift off" inputs. This probably won't make sense for a while, but it will with practice. You will come to learn that every time you lift off after getting light, there are rudder and cyclic inputs that you need to do while you transition into a hover. It won't just go from light to hover without a fight.
- From here progress at your own pace, don't even try nose in hover or anything else really till you can lift off, get 1.5 blade lengths off the ground and keep it at the same altitude, rudder pointed at you, and stay inside a 6' radius reliably.
- Some people tape off a "jail" and every time they leave it, force themselves to land and start over from the center. They say it makes you learn faster because there are consequences.
- Oh and get some spare parts now, you'll need them... Feathering shafts, swash links, rotors... You might also consider a heavier main rotor if you can get one that fits. The heavier the rotor, the more stable in a hover. carbon fiber is not your friend here. You won't be in forwards flight for a bit anyway, and it makes the transition much easier.

Anyway, that was way more than I intended to type, have fun!

Last edited:

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Thanks Dezertdog.... that sounds like sound advice and i imagine its from your experiences with helis yourself , so I will take heed and follow these steps ...the only other experience i have with a single rotor heli was about two years ago my cousin bought one and we set it down in the kitchen and because were men and we are clever we decided to plug it in and try it without taking much notice of the instructions it was 35mhz technology and we plugged it in without turning on the transmitter......yep you guessed it it took off like a wild banshee and chased us out the kitchen before hitting the door frame and smashing the rotor....I laugh now but at the time it was scary...keep flying

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
On the same subject in the above video it says its flying the stock motor and esc but with carbon 325 blades...i take it that the 325 mentioned is the size of the blades in mm.......... y/n

RCLEE

Brian,
If you are looking for spare for that model i have a friend in Bristol with the same kit, that he doesn't want. He offered it to me. I looked for spares and had problems, so this may be a great option to keep you in the air. Let me know and i'll hook you up.

fred0000

spare parts is a MUST, I keep an unopened HK450V2 kit on hand at all times, as soon as I open it I order it's replacment. it's alot of fun, since you have some previous heli expieriance (be it coax) you should pick it up fairly fast, i'm also assuming you've flown CP helis on flight sims before too.
I cant wait to see some final assembly and flight pics. this is exciting!

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Hello RCLEE Thanks for the thought, getting the spares would be a great idea.....see your mate and see what he wants for it and if its feasible we can hook up......I will keep in touch on this thread and if it comes to anything we can swap details etc etc...thanks again

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Congrats at joining the brotherhood of blade breakers. Its a slippery slope from here.

There's some good advice in here. Id like to add my two bits too.

-if you don't already have one, get a flight sim. They will save you hundreds in broken parts. Practice, practice, and more practice on it until you can easily hover on it. Generally speaking the larger the heli the more stable it will be so pick a big one to fly. On Phoenix the raptor 30 is awesome to learn on. The same as real life.
-Make sure you checked every screw for loctite before your first flight. RTF stands for ready to fix, not fly.
-I don't recommend carbon blades at first. You will be trashing a lot of blades and you can buy a half dozen wood sets to one cheap carbon. You can get glass fibre blades cheap too. You won't know the difference in performance anyway.
-when you are spooling up and getting light on the skids make sure you are on a smooth surface. Grass will catch skids and tip you over quick. I learned in a parking lot.

The biggest thing is don't get discouraged. It took me months before I flew a whole day without crashing. I still auger my helis in once and a while. I crashed just the other day due to dumb thumbs. I lost orientation in a turn and gave the wrong input and then splat! Broken gear,and a frame side on my trex. The worst part was I trashed a set of $40.00 edge blades that were only five flights old.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Yes the 325 is blade length in mm. It's standard 450 size, as long as the grips fit, sometimes you have to shim the blades if they are thinner than the grips.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Well I have ordered 4 micro servos and a HK401b gyro this morning (Friday) so they will be with me on saturday or monday.
I have a new HD camera so i should be able to post a nice bit of video on the build

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Mike oxbig.......what hot glue mod????
I know the gyro should be fixed with double sided foam tape to absorb vibration but i know of no hot glue mod.
Could you please enlighten me when you get the time....thanks