I didn't even know this world existed!

Grandfatman

Hi guys!

I didn't even know this world existed.

Back when I was a kid, all i wanted was an RC plane! Never flew one for more than a minute. 15 years later, i'm finally pulling the trigger and buying my own plane!

I just ordered a Bix 3 after extensive research and (as it's summer) Availability, I decided on the Bix.

I found this community in such a random way. I was looking into 3d printing a couple weeks ago, and came across a guy 3d printing and flying his own plane. That re-ignited my passion for aviation and the want to get back up in the air. I watched (without even knowing it was flite test) Josh flying a 3d printed plane, then i found their beginner series. Then i found the rest of the videos! For the past week i've just been watching flite test videos. Learning, researching, absorbing information. I'm going to be joining a local club and learn how to stay up in the air! I've even got myself quite a few hours in a simulator. And i'd feel fairly confident that i'm not going to totally "bin" the bix 3 on it's maiden, but i might. I'll take photos if i do!

I hope to become a proactive member of this community.

I am Dave.

Hello.

:)

Gazoo

Hello Dave. I am not the official welcomer to the forums, but welcome! I hope that you find it fun and exciting. You will find a lot of knowledge and support here.

Grandfatman

Thank you :)

It's always great to find a passionate community. I don't think ANY of my social circle even know model planes exist let alone fly them!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hello Dave and welcome to Flite test mate. You have stumbled across the rejuvenation of the RC world that began here at FT as many before you. Even I was drug kicking and screaming :)rolleyes: likely) back to the hobby after bingeing as many Flite Test videos as I could stand.

In any case good to have another convert come to the family. Here all we require is many pictures and videos as possible to document your journey in return for all of us to act as enablers and spur you deeper down the rabbit hole. Feel free to post any thoughts or questions as this is what powers the community here.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Woohoo!! It's always great to hear when someone finds their hobby passion and their new second home (the forums).

Glad to have you here! :)

And Gazoo - if you post a welcome, you are an official welcomer. If you post the welcome first, you're an excellent welcomer deserving of high marks and smooth landings. :)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello Dave and thank you for an excellent introduction. I like your choice in aircraft. My son bought me my first RC aircraft with a very similar style as the Bix. It will do most everything well, is one of the easier planes to fly, and it can take a beating. I like having the prop in a place where it doesn't break with every nosed-in landing.

Have you flown anything before? Have you anyone that knows how to fly that will be there when you fly?

I'm confident you will find this forum a valuable resource.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Welcome! I found this community much the same way about 2 years ago and have had a similar experience! I promise that you won't find a more welcoming group of individuals who will care about your experience, will help you pick up the pieces after a mistake, and will enthusiastically rejoice in your success.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Well, sometimes we roll on the ground laughing for a few minutes first, but then we'll help you put all the pieces into a trash bag to take home for repairs - promise! :p

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
DAVE!!
WELCOME my good man! We are happy to have you a part of the FT FORUM FAMILY! You will NOT be disappointed you stumbled upon these WONDERFUL people!! ;)

Can't wait to see what comes from it my friend! ENJOY THAT BIX!!

Blessings,
Stefan

Grandfatman

Wow!

Thanks for the response guys!

PsyBorg: Yes, I will indeed get as many photo's and videos as I can! And yes, I plan on going quite far down the rabbit hole! End goal = Warbird Gassers! (In years to come!)

JimCR120 : I haven't flown anything really apart from toys for more than a few seconds. But I have countless hours in Sims, and i'm also joining a local club, who not only will guide me through the basics, but they will help me setup and even trim my plane. Oh, and that was one of the selling points for me, the fact it's a pusher so if I dig her nose into the ground I may save a few quid on props! not only that, spare parts are easily available on hobby king!

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Update on the Bix = DELIVERY TOMORROW! Woo! Not only that, i'm going up to the local flying club in the morning to informally meet everyone and have my first every "training flight!"

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Welcome fron another Dave! Same here, this website has fueled my hobby passion. I have 6 operational planes now (including a Bix 3), 1 on the build table and 2 in the box stored for building (balsa kits). I just got started in September and love to build and fly. This is a great website and source for knowledge!

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Welcome to the forum Dave! Sounds like you've got everything lined up for a successful flight! Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. I love the end goal as well, warbirds are an addiction on their own :D.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yeah, I was focused on warbirds for a while - but then I fell into the "Golden Age" aviation era between WWI and WWII. So many awesome designs in that era - including some that were then used in military duty at the beginning of WWII.

Check it out... you might find a new obsession too :)

Grandfatman

I'm "HOPING" it will be successful! Who knows ;)

The idea in my mind, is if I smash it to an unrepairable state, i'll print off some plans from the FT website, and use all the electronics to power a scratch build!

Rockyboy: I used to be obsessed with "ice pilots" on the discovery channel, and i'd love a gas powered DC- 3 ... maybe a fews years down the line where I won't completely destroy it on it's maiden! Although, Being from the UK, everyone want's a spitfire! But, I hear from the community they can be a pain in the rear to fly. I grew up living 10 minutes away from one of only 2 lancaster bombers still in working order. That would be cool too. Not sure how feasible my dreams are, but we can all have them!

Grandfatman

DAVE!!
WELCOME my good man! We are happy to have you a part of the FT FORUM FAMILY! You will NOT be disappointed you stumbled upon these WONDERFUL people!! ;)

Can't wait to see what comes from it my friend! ENJOY THAT BIX!!

Blessings,
Stefan

Thanks Stefan! It seems that you guys actually really care about your viewers and the community. And that's rare!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm "HOPING" it will be successful! Who knows ;)

The idea in my mind, is if I smash it to an unrepairable state, i'll print off some plans from the FT website, and use all the electronics to power a scratch build!

Rockyboy: I used to be obsessed with "ice pilots" on the discovery channel, and i'd love a gas powered DC- 3 ... maybe a fews years down the line where I won't completely destroy it on it's maiden! Although, Being from the UK, everyone want's a spitfire! But, I hear from the community they can be a pain in the rear to fly. I grew up living 10 minutes away from one of only 2 lancaster bombers still in working order. That would be cool too. Not sure how feasible my dreams are, but we can all have them!

Those are all feasible dreams my friend! It's just a matter of scaling them to the resources - maybe starting with some foam board versions of those models while you're working up to balsa and gas :)

You'll love checking out this (slightly old) thread on a forum member designing and building a DC-3 from foamboard. And the reference pictures he found of float plane DC-3 conversions look really cool. He's left downloadable plans in the thread, but we don't know how his test flights turned out. You could be the one to get it flying and let us all know how it works though!
:applause: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?9261-DTFB-DC-3-C-47-AC-47

And while Spits have a reputation of some nasty stall characteristics, by all accounts the FT Spitfire is a really sweet flyer (for a second or third plane) while keeping the classic styling and curves.

There are also a couple great threads on foam board Lancaster's too - I'd personally try unrauv's plans as he's very active here on the forums to answer questions too.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?18227-Avro-Lancaster-Build-Pictures
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?14039-Foam-board-Lancaster-build
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?4374-foam-board-Lancaster-bomber

Last edited:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Agree, those would all be great starts towards the end goal. Maybe start off with the foamboard FT models for learning, then transition to the molded foam electric models, and then move into the big guys. On a side note, I have the Hobbyking 1300mm Lancaster, and the Durafly 1100mm Spitfire Mk1A. Both are excellent intermediate models, and they are incredibly detailed for their size. And yeah, I've switched between eras/models as well, still have mostly WWII airplanes, but the EDFs and scale helis have been keeping me occupied recently.

Grandfatman

Those are all feasible dreams my friend! It's just a matter of scaling them to the resources - maybe starting with some foam board versions of those models while you're working up to balsa and gas :)

You'll love checking out this (slightly old) thread on a forum member designing and building a DC-3 from foamboard. And the reference pictures he found of float plane DC-3 conversions look really cool. He's left downloadable plans in the thread, but we don't know how his test flights turned out. You could be the one to get it flying and let us all know how it works though!
:applause: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?9261-DTFB-DC-3-C-47-AC-47

And while Spits have a reputation of some nasty stall characteristics, by all accounts the FT Spitfire is a really sweet flyer (for a second or third plane) while keeping the classic styling and curves.

There are also a couple great threads on foam board Lancaster's too - I'd personally try unrauv's plans as he's very active here on the forums to answer questions too.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?18227-Avro-Lancaster-Build-Pictures
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?14039-Foam-board-Lancaster-build
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?4374-foam-board-Lancaster-bomber

Well, This thread is definatley going in my bookmarks for reference in a year or so when i come to wanting a new plane! When I have a bit more experience. I think i'm going about things the right way. I'm not expecting to be a great pilot from the get go. I'm not expecting to be doing aerobatics and fancy turns. I'm patient enough to want to learn and do it the right way. That being said, my favorite part of a flight has always been the landing. I'm a sucker for a smooth landing. I enjoy performing them (in the simulator) more than any other aerobatic move. I think it's something about the grace and skill it takes to perform a nice landing. I love it!

Oh, and that DC-3 Float conversion is a monster! Love it! Not seen one before.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Excellent approach! I think you're on the right track with plenty of simulator time, and then a high-wing foam plane to 'get your RC wings' before diving into the deep end.

But come on in when you're ready - or a little before even - the water's fine :)