I hate my glue gun :( what makes a good glue gun?

northPOW

Hi,

i bought

s-l1600.jpg

This glue gun is not able to make long glue lines (wings e.g.).

If you use a new stick every thing works okay. not very good but it works. but when you need a new stick bad things starting.
The new stick bents with the old so there is no forward motion. And when i glue the new stick to the old there is also not much forward motion. I hear much scratching noise when i push. Because the mechanism slips on the glue stick.

Okay first thing i found out for me: I need a 4 finger gun.

I have problems with my hands a 4 finger gun would be nice. Has some heard of rapid 280?

Desktop__42CEA3532E04DB0ED30176505CB56132__440__ra_5000426-63b8c7e4a5740fed00180424c123f30e.png
http://www.rapid.com/en-gw/products/glue-guns---accessories/diy/rapid-eg280-glue-gun_5000426/
Its about 41 Dollar.

But whats makes a good glue gun?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I had similar problems with both of my glue guns, one small and one standard size. When the ambient temperature was high the glue sticks would get very flexible and bend in the gun so I tried refrigerating them prior to use but with limited success.

The problem was fixed when I tried using a pencil instead of a new stick to get the last bit out of an old stick, (I was in the middle of a build and forgot where I put the sticks I had just purchased:rolleyes:. That was on the small gun and later I found a scrap of dowel which I use in the standard size gun.

I also found that the guns would waste a large amount of each stick when the gun was placed upon its stand, it just leaked out when hot. Now I just lay my guns on their side and the leakage has been reduced greatly and my guns seem a little bit hotter as well.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have a Dewalt glue gun (I happened to be at Home Depot and saw it; I had no idea they made one!) and picked it up for much less than what it would have cost for the Adtech gun that they use at FT. It has its pros and cons, though. For example, I like the folding metal stand at the front of the gun. When folded, it sits flush with the front of the gun, allowing for clearance in much tighter areas (say, if you want to run a bead of glue on the insides of the FT Duster fuselage to give it added strength, before you glue the top piece on), but it's also kind of a pain to get it unfolded (I've had to catch it on the corner of my table to unfold it while holding the fuselage or wing or whatever I'm gluing together).

It will run a nice bead of glue, it's a hi-temp gun, and it feels solid. For the price (I think I paid $15 for it?) it was pretty good, but in retrospect, I wouldn't mind a different gun. It's difficult to find a different gun where I am, though, because the full size guns and glue sticks aren't that popular - everyone seems to want the mini glue guns!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I like the mini glue guns too - but I keep two of them plugged in at the same time. When one starts to get cool, I drop it and grab the hot one and keep running the glue bead.

RedOak84

For most of my builds I have used my Aleene's ultimate glue gun with an oval tipped nozzle. It has a good flow rate and flow duration. Now that I am moving into larger builds, I did purchase an ad tech pro 200. At 410° vs my Aleene's ~360°, I will have a little more working time. It is funny how ever since I got into this hobby, I always stop to inspect glue guns in stores.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I just have the cheap $10 adtech from walmart and have been using it for over 3 years with no complaints. Well...it does take awhile to warm up when first plugged in. But once hot it holds heat well and has never left me unable to finish a long glue line.

I may have just lucked out though and got a "winner". When they're that cheap I don't expect them all to be equal :D

jaredstrees

I also have the Dewalt, and it works pretty good. I'm finding that the more I build the less I go to hot glue now. I've been using more gorilla and other foam safe glues to try and lighten things up. Makes the process a bit longer, but I don't have to worry about the high heat in Florida melting my builds!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I loved my Adtech Pro 100. Ran for 3 years before it gave up on me. Now I can't find it anywhere. Seems Adtech replaced the 100 with the Pro 80. I bought one and I'm not that happy with it. The extra 20 watts of the Pro 100 made a big difference. Might need to bite the bullet and get a Pro 200.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I have had a generic glue gun for a while and the only time it couldn't produce anymore glue was on the guinea pings wing. So most glue guns will do the job but at flite fest I got the ad-tech 200 and its amazing. I just built a 8 foot giant wing for a plane with no issues and I highly recommend it.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I just have the cheap $10 adtech from walmart and have been using it for over 3 years with no complaints. Well...it does take awhile to warm up when first plugged in. But once hot it holds heat well and has never left me unable to finish a long glue line.

I may have just lucked out though and got a "winner". When they're that cheap I don't expect them all to be equal :D

I'll say that not all of them are created the same with the cheap ones. My dad had one of the $10 Adtechs from Walmart; he used it to build his Simple Cub, and said it was constantly cooling off and didn't give him enough work time to lay a long line. Apparently, it wouldn't get hot enough to keep the glue at a "liquid" state for longer than 30 seconds, meaning he had to RUSH to get the wing folded once the bead of glue was started.

This weekend, he went and bought another glue gun at Jo-Ann Fabrics, another Adtech, but this is the Pro 80, which he said works MUCH better.