I hate prop driven pusher jets

Captain Jay

Elite member
I get that a propeller driven JET plane is more efficient and flight times are longer. But I just gotta say, I really hate them. Why go through all the effort of making a jet, just to put a propeller on it???? Really, WHY??? Lets get some of these plans reverted for actual EDFs and make some real jets here...
Sorry if I offend some of you....

Last edited:

remzak

Reasons I can think of off the top of my head:
  1. A normal outrunner propeller combination is cheaper, more widely available, and more useful for other designs.
  2. A propeller-driven plane is simpler and doesn't require you to consider ducts, air intakes, and similar issues.
  3. A propeller will give SIGNIFICANTLY more thrust at a similar wattage, allowing different flight characteristics and easier launches.
If you're so excited about making more EDF plans available, give converting some plans a shot. I'd love to see what you can come up with.

Captain Jay

Elite member
I'll try... I don't have auto cad or designing software. Is there other software or programs I could look into. I'd love to work on it...
Check my picture. That's a Learjet 70 I designed from a simple picture. Took a few measures and built it...

Last edited:

Kbat11700

I'll try... I don't have auto cad or designing software. Is there other software or programs I could look into. I'd love to work on it...
Check my picture. That's a Learjet 70 I designed from a simple picture. Took a few measures and built it...

Sweet, I look forward to seeing what else you can come up with. That Lear looks great!

Personally I have both EDF and prop driven jets. For most people, I think a pusher gives them what they want without something to complicated, expensive, and is similar to other things they fly.

The viggen has an EDF option if you didn't know by the way. :)

Captain Jay

Elite member
I also made the Super Bandit 50mm edf.
The Vigger looks cool too...
IMG_20190607_1728080.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i think the issue with EDF's and FT is the cost and complexity as mentioned above.

i love my EDF's but frankly they are more expensive. they require bigger ESC's, bigger batteries, provide less flight time, and usually provide a lot less thrust off launch making them much more likely to crash . this makes them very new pilot unfriendly. FT is all about doing it cheap and easy. EDF's just don't fit that.

i personally am still waiting for the BIG! A-10 plans to be released. i liked the idea of the 4 motors hid in the pods.

me :cool:

Captain Jay

Elite member
I saw that video. Crazy big A-10. That was cool. Cheap and inexpensive is probably the main reason, available parts and everyone has extra motors/props laying around to make a pusher. I get it... I guess I just wish there were more plans out there for edf builders...
I have some EDFs I plan to use in builds soon.
1 x 64mm 11 blade edf
2 x 40mm 8 blade edfs
2 x 50mm 11 blade edfs
I'm currently scouring the internet for interesting planes.
I'm leaning towards a SU-37 (twin edf), an F15 (twin edf), the Honda HA-420 (twin edf) and maybe I'll take a stab at the L39 for the 64mm (single edf).
Any suggestions for interesting planes???
I'm a scratch builder so pictures is all I go off and I start working it out...

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
trust me, i would like more as well. my problem is i have WAY to many planes and not enough room or time.

i have one of the pre-flite fest versions of Ben's F-16 Viper just sitting waiting to be built. it was the plane that @Rasterize used to make the skins for all of them. if i had to guess i have 5 diff EDF's waiting to be built.

i recently built a twin 43mm, thrust diff, version of my delta wing. thing did crazy pancake spins. was lot's of fun until one of the EDF's ate itself in flight and it came down in a spectacular fashion!

20190503_173308.jpg

2 members at the club have also mounted a a 69mm and 70mm single EDF using same plans and both fly awesome. i have .stl file for all the 3D printed parts for all of them. if interested let me know. i i have plans for the pusher version wing which you can easily modify to the EDF.

laters,

me :cool:

L Edge

Master member
I saw that video. Crazy big A-10. That was cool. Cheap and inexpensive is probably the main reason, available parts and everyone has extra motors/props laying around to make a pusher. I get it... I guess I just wish there were more plans out there for edf builders...
1 x 64mm 11 blade edf
2 x 40mm 8 blade edfs
2 x 50mm 11 blade edfs
I'm leaning towards a SU-37 (twin edf), an F15 (twin edf), the Honda HA-420 (twin edf) and maybe I'll take a stab at the L39 for the 64mm (single edf).

Being a scratch builder like you, how about a design of your own of the X-29 swept wing?
How about a YC-14 for a dual?
How about a EDF STOL?
or X-47 B with no vertical fins?
Even have built a trainer using a 64mm EDF so that one can learn how to fly and lands at a snail pace.

P1010032.JPG

Have you explored the use of thrust vectoring?
Actually, if you take any model and design light and right, it will fly with an EDF. As far as cost, if you are not after high speed, a 2,3, 4 (s) system is really not that expensive and keeps the weight down for building that model.

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
1 x 64mm 11 blade edf
2 x 40mm 8 blade edfs
2 x 50mm 11 blade edfs
I made an L-39, but it uses a 50mm EDF, maybe you could use it for a bit of inspiration.

Captain Jay

Elite member
Being a scratch builder like you, how about a design of your own of the X-29 swept wing?
How about a YC-14 for a dual?
How about a EDF STOL?
or X-47 B with no vertical fins?
Even have built a trainer using a 64mm EDF so that one can learn how to fly and lands at a snail pace.

View attachment 135525

Have you explored the use of thrust vectoring?
Actually, if you take any model and design light and right, it will fly with an EDF. As far as cost, if you are not after high speed, a 2,3, 4 (s) system is really not that expensive and keeps the weight down for building that model.
The YC-14 STOL is an interesting plane. Never saw it before. So agile. Can land in under 400 feet. Even when loaded with tanks and equipment...

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I think there is an argument for both sides but edf builds aren’t necessarily always complicated. Just look at Grifflyers edf builds, I’ve done a few of them with a 50mm edf and they took just as long and just as many supplies that all my other scratch builds took. The main downside is that for the same budget you will end up with a smaller plane, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not as fun. So it really depends on what kind of experience you want.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I think there is an argument for both sides but edf builds aren’t necessarily always complicated. Just look at Grifflyers edf builds, I’ve done a few of them with a 50mm edf and they took just as long and just as many supplies that all my other scratch builds took. The main downside is that for the same budget you will end up with a smaller plane, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not as fun. So it really depends on what kind of experience you want.
I second this. Both have ups and downs. In some respects, I agree somewhat when it comes to scale models of actual jets, they look a lot more and fly a bit more scale with EDF setups. I do, however, like messing with "jet shaped" styles that are designed from the ground up to be an electric, prop driven craft, and not a scale model of actual jets. Whatever the plane is, most of the noticeable handling characteristics don't come from the motor, but the aerodynamics and control setup, so an otherwise scale mode jet with a pusher prop will still fly very scale except for some differences in throttle, torque,and static thrust.

L Edge

Master member
Here is a video with what thrust vectoring can do and a cheap 64. Can you fly yours in an 80 x 160 area?
Grant it, as BS mentioned, it really depends on what experience you are looking for. I've look for "things that are different". I've done a EDF trainer, STOL, adding TV to models, foward swept wing and done jet transports.
Point to Captain Jay, if you design it properly, it will fly.

Brett_N

EDF Spear using the motor box out of the Viggen (70mm fan.)

Flies great. Couldn't find a post-build picture though.

Attachments

• 20180604_221309.jpg
    20180604_221309.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0