I hate prop driven pusher jets

JennyC6

Elite member
Yaeh I'm not fond of them either. I have a goal, which is to ICE power as many FT kits as I can...and I'm just skipping over the pusher prop powered jets. Not even going to bother with them. It just ain't right, efficiencies/simplicity/whatever be damned.

But hey, I ain't gonna tell anyone else they can't fly them. That's not in the spirit of the hobby or of FT. I just know I won't be flying any of my own.

i think the issue with EDF's and FT is the cost and complexity as mentioned above.

i love my EDF's but frankly they are more expensive. they require bigger ESC's, bigger batteries, provide less flight time, and usually provide a lot less thrust off launch making them much more likely to crash . this makes them very new pilot unfriendly. FT is all about doing it cheap and easy. EDF's just don't fit that.

i personally am still waiting for the BIG! A-10 plans to be released. i liked the idea of the 4 motors hid in the pods.

me :cool:

Pfft, when I get around to building the big A-10, I'm going for actual turbine engines. Not gonna use Electric Ducted Fan. Not gonna use Glow Ducted Fan. Not gonna have props twirling around in there. Be an actual jet engine in each nacelle!

People have done it to EPP/EPO foamie EDFs in the 70-90mm range, so it's not like it's overly difficult to keep the heat where it needs to be and avoid torching the foamboard, and a pair of 60 or 70mm turbines in those nacelles ought to be plenty for a DTFB A-10 to fly in a very scale manner.

Last edited:

Captain Jay

Elite member
Yaeh I'm not fond of them either. I have a goal, which is to ICE power as many FT kits as I can...and I'm just skipping over the pusher prop powered jets. Not even going to bother with them. It just ain't right, efficiencies/simplicity/whatever be damned.

But hey, I ain't gonna tell anyone else they can't fly them. That's not in the spirit of the hobby or of FT. I just know I won't be flying any of my own.

Pfft, when I get around to building the big A-10, I'm going for actual turbine engines. Not gonna use Electric Ducted Fan. Not gonna use Glow Ducted Fan. Not gonna have props twirling around in there. Be an actual jet engine in each nacelle!

People have done it to EPP/EPO foamie EDFs in the 70-90mm range, so it's not like it's overly difficult to keep the heat where it needs to be and avoid torching the foamboard, and a pair of 60 or 70mm turbines in those nacelles ought to be plenty for a DTFB A-10 to fly in a very scale manner.
Real turbines in a big A-10 would be cool. I would only worry about torching the tail... there is a lot of hot flaming power coming out if the back of real turbines. Be careful... hahaha

Captain Jay

Elite member
There has been a lot of mentions on this thread about FT being "cost effective and efficiency" as to why flyers build pusher jets with props. You know flight test has their own motors, servos, etc bla bla bla. So, in reality, wouldn't you think FT should have a cost effective EDF or motors or different series/sizes of fans and replacement fans/motors for them. Maybe they aren't on the ball or there yet for providing the EDF parts etc in there catalog.
That being said, if they were to offer the "cost effective" Edf and parts and different sizes, would that change flyers mind into working and building with EDFs more???
Maybe this is more on FT to get up to speed with EDFs and parts we need in a cost effective why... hmmmm

JennyC6

Elite member
Real turbines in a big A-10 would be cool. I would only worry about torching the tail... there is a lot of hot flaming power coming out if the back of real turbines. Be careful... hahaha
I think an aluminum foil 'covering' on the tail feathers would serve fine as a heat shield as long as I could get it to lay down flat and smooth. But hell, if people can turbine convert EPP/EPO EDF fighters I'm sure I can figure out turbine converting an FT A-10.

Ahh, but that's for long in the future. Engines alone cost something like 1500 a piece. For the smol ones. And they just released the MS P-47, which I'm planning on fitting with an OS FS-52 Surpass and a 10-6 4-blade prop. And that isn't gonna be a cheap build either...

Captain Jay

Elite member
Ready for paint. Will be white with red and blue markings of some kind. This is a scratch build. I just look at pictures and make it happen. Sorry no plans... but I think I'll have a buddy video the maiden flight and post it here.
F-20 Tigershark ready for a maiden flight...
Ah ya, total build time was about 12 hours. So 3 evenings at 4 hours per night...
IMG_20190713_1317063.jpg
IMG_20190713_1317567.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Jay

Elite member
Ok, maiden flight was good. I had to much control surfaces happening so it was sketchy at first and hard to handle, due to elevator to much action. But it flew great 2nd, 3rd and 4th time tonight... I'll have to shorten the video, it was to large to upload. The best I can do I create a link to the video. In it the launch is great and you can see how the plane is "over reacting"
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qi4vipLJMQgigRAH7

Last edited: