I hate to ask but...

kdobson83

OK thanks guys,I think I will order a FlySky FS6i next payday from Ebay, Now I have to find some 9gm servos, Are the ones FT sell on there store good? I would like to support them somehow.

Casey
Yes, those emax servos they sell are great and reliable. They are a tad expensive at +$5 each tho. Making it +$20 for a 4 channel plane. Heres a link to some good servos at half the price that come from a local shop in Ohio I think. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ADAAegQIAxAE&usg=AOvVaw18AhbLK8bXASHLUOZZDquk

Not trying to keep you from supporting FT as their servos are strong/reliable, just giving you a cheaper option. There are some metal gear servos, MG90 I think, on eBay and Amazon that work great too.
Anyway, if you don't mind spending a little extra, those FT servos will work great!

earthquake

Yes, those emax servos they sell are great and reliable. They are a tad expensive at +$5 each tho. Making it +$20 for a 4 channel plane. Heres a link to some good servos at half the price that come from a local shop in Ohio I think. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ADAAegQIAxAE&usg=AOvVaw18AhbLK8bXASHLUOZZDquk

Not trying to keep you from supporting FT as their servos are strong/reliable, just giving you a cheaper option. There are some metal gear servos, MG90 I think, on eBay and Amazon that work great too.
Anyway, if you don't mind spending a little extra, those FT servos will work great!

kdobson83 Thanks for posting the link.
I am thinking about ordering the "A" power pack from FT and it comes with 4 servos, I don't know if its a good deal but its what they recommend for the tiny trainer. I don't know much about electric flying yet so I am going with there recommendation for now. Since I don't make a lot of money I may look into there Affirm plan and make payments, I am going to need batteries and a charger too so it would get me flying sooner.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I would not recommend the Tower Pro servos. bought 12 of them once, 2 failed on the bench and another 2 failed just after being installed into a plane.

FDS

Elite member
I have had zero servo failures from 9g $2 plastic gear ones off eBay. My TT has two of those in the body and two 5g ones on the wings. I have smashed the poor thing so many times, those servos just keep running.
Power packs are nice if you want everything bundled up. I couldn’t afford the ones sold here. My electronics cost-
Esc $15
Servos-$10
Wires-$10 (lead extensions and Y’s)
Motor $5 (on sale)
Prop $2
Plugs $8 approx.
Total= $50

Wildthing

Legendary member
I have had zero servo failures from 9g $2 plastic gear ones off eBay. My TT has two of those in the body and two 5g ones on the wings. I have smashed the poor thing so many times, those servos just keep running.
Power packs are nice if you want everything bundled up. I couldn’t afford the ones sold here. My electronics cost-
Esc $15
Servos-$10
Wires-$10 (lead extensions and Y’s)
Motor $5 (on sale)
Prop $2
Plugs $8 approx.
Total= $50
Oh I buy a lot of Chinese parts , I support my local hobby store as much as possible but when prices are triple even after shipping what is a person suppose to do. Nice thing with the hobby store they do stock orders once a week so I never pay for shipping there.
The Tower Pro servos were just bad for me , I think some even have a hard time centering so I won't buy them ever again. I mainly use the HXT900 and TG9 plastic gear servos from HK and for metal gear I go to the Emax ones, forget their model number.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I think your choice of transmitter will serve you well.

I recommend you take your time choosing a charger. Two items will impact every model you own, your radio and your charger.

Choose these two items carefully as they are personal choices based on how, when, where and what you fly.

I don't know much about electric flying yet

If you are not yet familiar with lipo batteries, I recommend you learn before you charge one or fly with one. Learning about the power plant will vastly assist with your future model choices and save you a truck load of cash.

I found this on lipos. If you read nothing else, read about C ratings and safety BEFORE you fly. :)
http://learningrc.com/lipo-battery/

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I think your choice of transmitter will serve you well.

I recommend you take your time choosing a charger. Two items will impact every model you own, your radio and your charger.

Choose these two items carefully as they are personal choices based on how, when, where and what you fly.

If you are not yet familiar with lipo batteries, I recommend you learn before you charge one or fly with one. Learning about the power plant will vastly assist with your future model choices and save you a truck load of cash.

I found this on lipos. If you read nothing else, read about C ratings and safety BEFORE you fly. :)
http://learningrc.com/lipo-battery/

DEFINITELY agree with that. Lipos, incorrectly charged and not monitored, can and will burn down a house. I know at least two members in two different clubs that have had fire damage to their homes or lost their homes due to a lipo battery that went up while being charged.

Here's a great example:

(Now, this is kind of their way to test the BatSafe, and they were cranking the amperage up much higher than it should have been to make the battery explode for demonstration purposes, but know that this happens to a LOT of people - you don't necessarily need the BatSafe, but it works REALLY well at containing a lipo fire)

Here's another FT vid discussing Batteries and Safety that will probably answer a lot of your questions, too:

earthquake

OK so I bought a FLYSKY FS-I6Xoff of Ebay, I paid a few extra bucks to get the 10 channel rx. I hope there is a better instruction manual online for then the one that came with it, the one I got pretty much say "This is a Transmitter", nothing about the Rx at all.
It came with a FS-IA10B Rx, It is only marked channels 1 -10, with channel one also being marked PPM/CH1. is that for throttle? there is also a port marked "B/VCC", that is for binding the Rx to the Tx right? Is there something to tell which port # does what or do I have to assign each port a function? I hate asking so many questions but last time I hooked up a rx it only had 2 ports.

Casey

daxian

Elite member
fsi6 tx/rx follow the channel 's as 1. aileron 2. elevator 3. throttle 4. rudder 5. gear or aux1 6.flaps or aux2 ...with the others you will need to program them for what you want ...b/vcc is for binding or battery if you do not have an esc with bec to power the rx and servo's (6volt )...hope that helps...as for the manual ....well i hope you have good chinglish skills.. there is a few helpfull posts on rc groups for the fsi6 ...

FDS

Elite member
Channels match the default channel order, so if you had TAER it would be channel 1= Throttle, 2= Aileron, 3= Elevator, 4= Rudder.
Flysky is AETR so 1=Aileron, 2 =Elevator, 3= Throttle, 4= Rudder
There’s lots of good YouTube videos on setting up Flysky radios, they are popular so plenty of people have had the same problems!
There’s some more set up info and a video linked here.

L Edge

Master member
Yes, I remember Circus hobbies. They had the orginal JR radios. Did you know that JR stood for japanese radios?

earthquake

Yes, I remember Circus hobbies. They had the orginal JR radios. Did you know that JR stood for japanese radios?

L Edge
I had it [radio] set up in a Dynaflite "Piece of Cake" powered glider with a .049 COX engine, it had a 72" poly-dihedral wing, I don't know how many 6x3 wood "Master Airscrew" props I fed the gophers. It did not like windy days and it blows in Vegas most of the time, I don't remember how many times I patched it up with clear packing tape it would always fly again, pretty tough for a balsa plane.
It was cool having Circus Hobbies in town, they had a nice store.

Casey