i have a bunch of questions

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...but i can't use the 30a esc. 😥 are there any other not 30a esc i could use? 20a?
Why not?
Not sure about a 20a ESC, others who are more familiar with the setup will need to weigh in. But a 40a will work.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
so a 40a will work and hopefully not explode?
Correct, the amp rating for ECS’s is a do not exceed number.
All amp ratings in the RC world are do not exceed. It perfectly fine to use less amps than than what it is rated for.

Start with the motor, pick a prop that will not cause the motor to pull more amps than the motor is rated for. Next pick an ESC that can supply more amps than the motor is drawing. It’s good to have a bit of overhead, the servos & Rx also draw a few amps. Finally pick a battery that can supply the amp needed.

With batteries the amp capacity is calculated. The formula is mAh/1000 x C = A
Example a 2,000 mAh 20C battery can supply 40 amps. (2,000/1,000 x 20 = 40)
Sometimes a battery will have 2 C ratings, the higher one is a burst rate, what the battery can do for a short burst, 10-15 seconds. The lower one is what you want to use, it’s a continuous use rate.

If you exceed the amp rating of any component, you risk burning it out.

quorneng

Master member
f-35lover
You can see from Merv's reply how important it is is to actually know what level of Amps are being used.
The best way of doing this is to use a Watt meter. It is a test instrument and intended to go between the battery and the ESC. It measures the amps in real time so you can see at full power if the amps are exceeding any of the components specified limits you simply stop before anything gets damaged.
Obviously running a plane at full power held on the ground needs care and attention, a prop can can cause serious injury, but if you know the amps are within limits it is much less likely to fail in the air. A crash can damage many components.

f-35lover

my new electronics combo is a 2200mah 3s 35c batt, a 40a preadator esc, and a A2217 1100KV motor. will it be a healthy setup or a bad one? checked out the watt meter, and will purchase it!

Crazed Scout Pilot

hi, I assembled my first plane the ft scout but I have run into some problems... you see my prop adapter is a collet style adapter but I have no idea on how it should work! do I have to glue the collet to the motor shaft? the adapter came with the motor. the motor is a HBJ 2200kv brushless motor. my second question is can a 2200kv motor swing a 10x4.5 slow prop? and my third question is do I have to power my receiver with a battery or does it use the power from the main battery? and my forth is can a plane use only the rudder and elevator to fly? my dad who studied aerospace engineering told me that it would take a long time to turn if I used the 3channal setup. and do I need wheels? at my local hobby shop a 2.75 wheel costs about 20bucks! can I just make my own wheels out of foam board ? and can I just use servo extentions with out a buckle could I just tape them or glue it? my apologies if these questions are a bit long, answers would really help out. thanks!
I really like your questions. I read through the whole chat and let me see if I can help at all. It sounds like you have the prop spinner problem figured out. Next is if you are a beginner pilot I highly recommend using landing gear, fora couple of reasons: 1 your taking off from the ground so if somethings wrong you have less damage when you crash. Sometimes when you first build an airplane the trim is all out of wack and it will turn sharply to the right or left. If you throw it and it is like that, it is almost certain to crash but if you taxi you will notice that and then fix it. If you don't want to buy wheels I'll be happy to make you some foam ons and mail them to you. Another thing I noticed is that you plan to use a 2200 mph that is a real big battery I suggest using something more like a 1000 3 cell mph. I personally use forms Simple Souut an 3cell 800 mph. It depends upon how hard you are going to fly. for me I just cruise at half throttle and the 800 is lighter and lasts 10 minutes. If you have questions about how to charge let me know because it can be a bit complicated. If you don't have an 800 3cell mph I have an extra one with a jst connector and I can mail it to you. Also I noticed from your pictures something very critical. You have to angle the motor slightly to the right. what that does is it counter acts the torque. If you don't do that it will fly sharply to the left and likely crash. Here are som pics of my Spitfire power pod so that you can see what it looks like.
IMG_8287.JPG
IMG_8285.JPG

I hope this helps. you have picked a good plane to start out with. I just built a couple for my self.

IMG_8277.JPG

IMG_8280.JPG
IMG_8278.JPG

Happy Flying. Please keep me posted if you able to get in to the air.

Shurik-1960

I will add a little: if the model with the right-hand drive flies smoothly but sharply gains altitude, it is necessary to put a couple of washers under the upper leg of the engine to mow the motor down. Thus, by putting washers under the paws of the engine, we achieve a straight flight of the model and enjoy!!

Crazed Scout Pilot

hi, I assembled my first plane the ft scout but I have run into some problems... you see my prop adapter is a collet style adapter but I have no idea on how it should work! do I have to glue the collet to the motor shaft? the adapter came with the motor. the motor is a HBJ 2200kv brushless motor. my second question is can a 2200kv motor swing a 10x4.5 slow prop? and my third question is do I have to power my receiver with a battery or does it use the power from the main battery? and my forth is can a plane use only the rudder and elevator to fly? my dad who studied aerospace engineering told me that it would take a long time to turn if I used the 3channal setup. and do I need wheels? at my local hobby shop a 2.75 wheel costs about 20bucks! can I just make my own wheels out of foam board ? and can I just use servo extentions with out a buckle could I just tape them or glue it? my apologies if these questions are a bit long, answers would really help out. thanks!
I forgot to say this but a rudder on the Simple Scout will be fine you will have no turn problems. I do suggest setting up dual rates. One with a weight of 30 and the other with a weight of 60. That way when you take off you use the low rate and then in the air if you need to turn sharper you ca use the higher rate.