I have a need.......

cyclone3350

Master member
I have always wanted to try this method, but haven't had the need for a small spoke wheel.
I did this version for my 1/10th scale pup. Unfortunately, I am unable to find the video or the forum that I used to to make these. I took two 1/8th balsa and rough cut a circle. Then I sanded to true round using a Dremel and a sanding block. For strength, they R glued together cross grained. The tire is auto vacuum line tubing. I angle cut the ends and used CA to glue them together and to the balsa. For the covers, they R made from poster board in a circle to form a shallow cone. I assumed that the 32 spoke English wheels would only show 8 spokes on each side as the other 8 were offset to the inside. I made 8 evenly spaced fold lines. looking back, I should have made 16. To water proof and prepare for paint, I sprayed the poster board with Kyrlon satin clear. The back side is flat with and additional cardboard circle. They R a little heavy due to the tubing, but I needed the weight. These are 2.65" dia and so far, holding up well.

Attachments

• IMG_4837.JPG
    IMG_4837.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4838.JPG
    IMG_4838.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4839.JPG
    IMG_4839.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
I have always wanted to try this method, but haven't had the need for a small spoke wheel.
I did this version for my 1/10th scale pup. Unfortunately, I am unable to find the video or the forum that I used to to make these. I took two 1/8th balsa and rough cut a circle. Then I sanded to true round using a Dremel and a sanding block. For strength, they R glued together cross grained. The tire is auto vacuum line tubing. I angle cut the ends and used CA to glue them together and to the balsa. For the covers, they R made from poster board in a circle to form a shallow cone. I assumed that the 32 spoke English wheels would only show 8 spokes on each side as the other 8 were offset to the inside. I made 8 evenly spaced fold lines. looking back, I should have made 16. To water proof and prepare for paint, I sprayed the poster board with Kyrlon satin clear. The back side is flat with and additional cardboard circle. They R a little heavy due to the tubing, but I needed the weight. These are 2.65" dia and so far, holding up well.

Very nice!

(y)

kilroy07

Legendary member
That first design was based on the photo first posted in this thread.

If anyone has some good quality design pics/plans of historical examples (you spoke counters out there) then I can take another crack at the design. Or if you have any constructive criticism I'm all ears.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

If anyone has some good quality design pics/plans of historical examples (you spoke counters out there) then I can take another crack at the design. Or if you have any constructive criticism I'm all ears.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 102520-2132.jpg
    102520-2132.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
  • p19a.jpg
    p19a.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 0
  • Yw66433.jpg
    Yw66433.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 0
  • wheels-019.jpg
    wheels-019.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 0
  • images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    5 KB · Views: 0
  • 455490-middle.png
    455490-middle.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 0

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

Attachments

• images (2).jpg
    images (2).jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 338e39868877efe2b1d52f50e5084e8a.jpg
    338e39868877efe2b1d52f50e5084e8a.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1
  • wheels-of-a-plane-in-muddy-field-ww1-DRHYJ0.jpg
    wheels-of-a-plane-in-muddy-field-ww1-DRHYJ0.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 1
  • p19a.jpg
    p19a.jpg