Solved I have a question about my motor

Headbang

Master member
I can’t figure out how much amps this motor pulls and I was wondering if there is a way to calculate your motors amp rating from the kv rating because some manufacturers don’t tell you.
Also is it okay to use a motor on a plane that was meant for drones? because this is what hobby town sold me and I found out that is is for drones later. https://www.rc-wing.com/emax-eco-se...6s-brushless-motor-for-fpv-racing-drones.html
In this case you have a lot of data. There is no way to calculate amps from kv. Every motor has a max wattage rating which is based on the windings. Exceeding that will likely cause excessive heat. In this case you have a table for 6s. Max wattage of 860ish. Most of us have an inline amp meter and a ton of props on hand when working with an unknown motor. We swap props until we hit the max wattage rating or the motor gets too hot. What you can use for a prop will change depending how many cells you are running on. This being a 2207 35amps is usually the ball park for max amps. And it has that on the spec sheet for your motor. Hope this helps.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You can get some kind of idea of amp rating by looking at motors of similar size. Just to be clear when a manufacturer says a motor is rated for 30 amps, that’s a number not to exceed. If the prop you are using causes the amp draw to exceed the max, you will burnout the motor. If you use a smaller prop, the amp draw will go down.

The only way to know the amp draw is to measure it with a watt meter.

Last edited:

Azariah

Thank you all so much.
I’m wondering the amp draw because I’m looking for a ESC and the prop it recommends is a 5.55 I don’t know if I should just guess it’s a 35 amp and look for a 45 amp esc or should I just get a amp meter and learn how to use it

Headbang

Master member
Thank you all so much.
I’m wondering the amp draw because I’m looking for a ESC and the prop it recommends is a 5.55 I don’t know if I should just guess it’s a 35 amp and look for a 45 amp esc or should I just get a amp meter and learn how to use it
Spec sheet says 35amp max. So at max load of 35amp you need a 40amp esc to be safe. I run my 2207 2400kv motors on 4s with a 50amp esc, max amp draw is around 37amps with my setup, but I have limited airflow over the esc.