I inherited a drone!

VCEngineering

Hello everyone, my name is Zach. Quick backstory: I became the president of an engineering club on my college campus and with it came a completed drone. I wasn't a part of the building phase of the drone so I'm only minimally familiar with it. This semester, its been my goal to do something cool and useful with the drone and it eventually led me here to this forum.

So, the drone is pretty bare bones right now. Its flight ready and it uses a NAZA M v2 flight controller with six rotors and a pretty basic and generic handheld controller. My intent is to get it to fly autonomously and I'm not sure where to start. I have very little knowledge in the way of coding or circuits or any of it but I'm willing to learn. I've partnered with the Coding Club on my campus to hopefully make some headway.

I've done some research and found a few things like Pixhawk and Keil for programming but again, we're still at a lost, which is why we're reaching out. Im not sure where to start or how to get to where I wanna go with this project.

So we have this working drone but I don't think its yet capable of programmed flight. What hardware/ software should I look into first? Where can I go to learn more? And how advanced can I get this? Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer the best I can.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I think that with that flight controller you are limited to whatever firmware DJI makes available. Definitely look into the Arducopter firmware and the FC's it will run on, it is probably the most advanced for what you are looking to do.