I like the Boobys

Keno

My best friend used to live in gualala, spent lots of time over there. I'm over in Lake county myself.
Great county my friend, excellent wine country and ranching , as is Humboldt for its redwoods, fir forests and fishing. You had me on Gualala and had to do some research. Its just above the Sonoma and Mendocino county line, travel HWY 1 many times entering from the Russian river high way . On the building side I have use your inspiration to work on another project. This one is going to take some time for me but it will be a great project for the winter. Wife and self now live in Central WA and it gets a bit cold here but this new project will keep me occupied. I thank you for the post on the Booby. Happy flying

Seahunter

All fascinating and motivating. I spent many long hours on isolated duty on Kure island Hawaii with the Coast Guard. Lots of blue footed boobies and a few orange footed ones out there. may I suggest a study of the great Albatross or Gooney Bird as we called them. They spend months gliding around over the ocean, slope soaring off the waves seldom even flap their wings. Nice work Guys!! :D

Last edited:

Keno

Wow too funny.. Im living in rohnert park right now. I work at bodega bay. The slope flying is real over here.
My family has a small street in Cotati name after them. Grandfather owned the local store and barber shop on the east side of 101 going back to the early 30's, none left now that I am aware. I left there in 46.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I brought my alula with me to Fort Bragg but the wind was only kind of strong enough maybe 7 miles an hour in the middle of the day and we were doing other stuff.

jpot1

Elite member
Still trying to get video from my club mate that took it but in the interim. Plans I build from if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• booby.pdf
    3.8 KB · Views: 0

thenated0g

Mentor
Thanks for the plans. I have done kfm off and on over the years but haven't yet done the fold over method to get that nice leading edge. Are you removing any of the foam or beveling anywhere to get that?

Also fyi to anybody else, if you import the pdf into inkscape and than hit Ungroup (ctrl+shift+g) you can break the plans apart into individual pieces for editing.

jpot1

Elite member
Thanks for the plans. I have done kfm off and on over the years but haven't yet done the fold over method to get that nice leading edge. Are you removing any of the foam or beveling anywhere to get that?

Also fyi to anybody else, if you import the pdf into inkscape and than hit Ungroup (ctrl+shift+g) you can break the plans apart into individual pieces for editing.

Yes, the PDF is structured so that each piece can be split apart if that helps for tiling/printing.

Regarding the fold over - I put a piece of packing tape on the outside, centered over the middle score cut. That cut is double beveled like a typical FT wing. Each of the other score cuts just get run through with a bbq skewer a couple of times. This gives enough flexibility to do the fold over. Go slow, and do it a couple of times to compress the foam and you will be all set.

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
Nice job on the build and the plans jpot1!! I built your LongEZ (used your plan but made it 47 " span) and it flew great. Going to build this one because it is something different.

thenated0g

Mentor
Yes, the PDF is structured so that each piece can be split apart if that helps for tiling/printing.

Regarding the fold over - I put a piece of packing tape on the outside, centered over the middle score cut. That cut is double beveled like a typical FT wing. Each of the other score cuts just get run through with a bbq skewer a couple of times. This gives enough flexibility to do the fold over. Go slow, and do it a couple of times to compress the foam and you will be all set.
I had actually thrown together some quick plans to do a kfm foamboard version of the Jart im working on, but after seeing your build it reminded me that you could do that, so going to try it out.

thenated0g

Mentor
This thread reminds me of when we were kids and we would always say the vacuum sucked cause our mom hated that word, so that was like an excuse to say it lol.

jpot1

Elite member
Nice job on the build and the plans jpot1!! I built your LongEZ (used your plan but made it 47 " span) and it flew great. Going to build this one because it is something different.

Thanks @CMS_1961 - love it when I hear people building my designs - throw a pic up on the build thread if you get a chance.
Just realized I didn't include the notch in the body piece where it is cut out for the lower portion of the KFM. Will update that later and update the post with plans, so don't print yet!

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
Jpot1---Here is the Long EZ ~47inch span. It is a great flyer!!
IMG_5384.jpeg

Keno

Jpot1 - Got it, thanks for the plans. Working on something that always intrigued me and the Booby reminded me of it. I'll be busy this winter as it will take me sometime to design and build. It will probably take many builds to confirm the design as will it fly and can it be reproduced. I'll probably be Dollar Tree and our local waste disposal company's best customer.

donalson

ok I see an elevator and ailerons... do the ailerons just get setup as ailerons or and elevons and mixed with the elevator?

looks like a very interesting build... I like.

jpot1

Elite member
Yep just regular aileron/elevator setup. Caught my attention since it was different - a wing but not with elevon controls. Flew great too!