I like the Boobys

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
@bracesport i show the silicone hinges in that video, but ill try and do a quick phone video on some scrap showing how i did it. There is probably lots of different types of silicone out their and some may not work ??

headlessagain

Interesting build Nathan. I managed to pick up a used 48" Wowings Skua a few years back. It's another rare one as they are not cutting any models at the moment. Just had to replace a dodgy servo so this gave me an excuse to recover the top. Nothing as exotic as bagging but I might laminate.

Attachments

• IMG_20190828_141708_0.jpg
    IMG_20190828_141708_0.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0

thenated0g

Mentor
Interesting build Nathan. I managed to pick up a used 48" Wowings Skua a few years back. It's another rare one as they are not cutting any models at the moment. Just had to replace a dodgy servo so this gave me an excuse to recover the top. Nothing as exotic as bagging but I might laminate.
Thats awesome. The skua and booby were some of the very first slopers that caught my imagination years ago before i even tried slope soaring. Was pretty disappointed to find out that by the time i wanted one they were gone. I put in a couple requests in rc groups but nobody wants to sell. I don't think you want to fiberglass epp as its squishy. Laminate is the way to go. On my epp slopers i do the filament packing tape across the entire thing and than iron laminate.

I have been in love with wings/planks since the versa wing. I still have a few on my list to get.
Bluto:
1567006995578.png

Pluto, which i have already done a copy of myself in eps, my favorite flyer right now
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/planky-2-0-diy-hot-cut-sloper-soarer.58334/
1567007037146.png
And Bat1 and Bat 2 from windrider.com.hk
1567007123565.png
1567007130093.png

thenated0g

Mentor
How did I miss this thread for so long?
That's a great weird unique looking aircraft you got there. I'll be watching with interest...
I have another complete set of blue cores on the shelf and will be doing a full carbon fiber version of these in the future.

headlessagain

I have the German copy of the Bluto named the "Pluto" which I believe is based on the original single fin, elevon only version
http://epp-modelle.com/product/pluto-epp/ They also sell a copy of the DF Weasel and SAS Cobra. Have they no shame :D
Mines awaiting repairs following some of the 375g of ballast slugs having successfully escaped from the end of the internal tube :eek::(
I'm having a blast flying my 60" Phoenix Models Rampage so the poor Pluto will have to wait

Attachments

• Pluto.PNG
    Pluto.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

thenated0g

Mentor
yes the pluto is the one i posted above. I don't know what is going on with the epp-modelle guy. I actually put in an order for the pluto and 2 of his jets and than a week later he cancelled my order and has not responded to any email about why.

headlessagain

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
jpot1

In fairness to you, it was not your design that was the issue. It was all my own fault. I took your design and built it a little bigger and my pod was not exactly the one you made either. I had trouble getting the CG in also because I was trying to use an 1800mah battery at first--no go!! I switched to a 2200mah battery and did several test glides until I got the CG. It was very sensitive to CG--there was one sweet spot and about 1/8 to 1/4 fore and aft movement of the battery and the thing would not want to fly---too pitchy!! Not used to this tight of a CG on a wing, but then I have many wings but no power pods attached--just reflex in the elevons for compensation. Anyway, I also made it a pure KFM airfoil (not a big fan of them) because it was quick to build /prototype it that way. I am going to build a real airfoil version a little larger as well because I believe it will fly even better!!

I have built your some of your other designs and they are all great flyers!!

headlessagain

I found my Pluto to be very sensitive to c of g and throws. I had to add cocktail sticks to the top of my balancing rig for more precision. I also had to swap the control horns for taller ones and use the top hole to gain more resolution. Even then I only need 25% throws on pitch but it'll take max on roll

thenated0g

Mentor
Had fun trying to get 5 things connected to a 4 channel RX. Got it working by sharing the positive and negative between the power switch and the lost model alarm. Got it all tidied up and cover put back on. Also installed one of the vertical stabilizers.
IMG_20190830_204225.jpg IMG_20190831_164506.jpg IMG_20190831_172533.jpg IMG_20190831_172542.jpg IMG_20190831_172156.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Around 600g at the moment with everything in. But still need to add lead for cg, which is about an inch behind where it needs to be at the moment.
IMG_20190902_112507.jpg

headlessagain

Nearly there Nathan. Peter Loftus of Wowings commented on my Skua post over on the "Slope Soaring And Dynamic Soaring" FB group
"A friend and I have cut some Skua blue foam cores and we are going to bag it, if it is successful who knows which one we do next, the Booby would be good I reckon" Seems like great minds think alike

thenated0g

Mentor
Nearly there Nathan. Peter Loftus of Wowings commented on my Skua post over on the "Slope Soaring And Dynamic Soaring" FB group
"A friend and I have cut some Skua blue foam cores and we are going to bag it, if it is successful who knows which one we do next, the Booby would be good I reckon" Seems like great minds think alike
sweet, i will go check it out. thanks