I like the Boobys

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
****EDIT: I started my build finally. It begins on page 3

Slope wings guys, sheesh come on, grow up :LOL:
So a few years ago i came across the wowings Booby slope wing. It has this crazy shape. That could never fly, you might say.
1539100441214.png

Oh really?
1539100396521.png

It was made by wowings: http://www.wowings.com/products.php?product=Wowings-Booby

At first glance you may think that it is a flying wing elevon style model, but if you look it has 3 servos. It actually has an elevator and 2 ailerons.
1539100563523.png

Cg is pretty ..."fun".
1539100898134.png

The cg line is pretty close to the leading edge of the center section. You can see how much weight is behind that area and you only have the tip areas of the outside wings to put your weight in. Now this thing is for slope soaring and so it likes to be heavier, that means it goes fast. But i was also thinking that it would make an interesting dual motor powered setup. Having a motor at each of the leading points of the outer wings would help with the cg issue. Thats why im posting this here, hoping to inspire someone to try it out.

As they are no longer producing these they are very hard to find. I even put in a wanted add in rcgroups with zero bites. Hopefully i can jump on a deal at some point in the future, but in the meantime i decided to try and copy the design and scratch build my own slope soarer out of hot cut foam. But i think it would be a very easy build out of foam board. Faster for sure. Its just 5 folded over pieces of foam board, versa style folds. And than a spar across them all. I haven't created any "plans" that will instantly translate to foam board builds but i did do a 2d profile design that has all the dimension. I will attach the full scale svg file i created in inkscape if anybody wants to try it out and i will update in the future when i do my rigid foam version.

The original design is 47" and i used that and a top down picture to create my plans.

Full scale SVG, a pdf version of the svg, and the original companies build manual are attached below. All sizes are in MM and again this has not been tested, IE cg is the calculated CG, not tested.

Heres a cool video of it flying.

And a playlist i made of them below that.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMieSP4Ym7qp-uZ-xlntRCqix_J6hgWZ9

Attachments

• PDF for Forums.pdf
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SVG for Forums.svg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • wowings_booby.pdf
    876.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

thenated0g

Mentor
  • A group of boobies are collectively known as a "congress", "hatch", and "trap" of boobies.

jpot1

Elite member
Hummmm...got me thinking about a powered booby. Like the tractor versa, same setup may work for this. That way motor is out at or slightly ahead of the calculated CG. With servos and other gear as far forward as possible may be just enough to get to the CG.

thenated0g

Mentor
Hummmm...got me thinking about a powered booby. Like the tractor versa, same setup may work for this. That way motor is out at or slightly ahead of the calculated CG. With servos and other gear as far forward as possible may be just enough to get to the CG.
Yeah that was what i was thinking as well. Maybe even have a battery bay right behind each motor in those wing tips. So each esc has its own smaller battery instead of one large battery.

jpot1

Elite member
Started with the .svg from @thenated0g and designing KFM4 pieces with a score cut in the middle to wrap around each section of the wing. Servo cutouts as far forward as possible. Then thinking I’ll take the fuse from the “bloody” series of planes but with at least half of it reaching forward in front of the center section. Need to figure out how far in front I’ll need to hang a C pack motor and 3s 2200 to get it to balance. Will post plans tomorrow if anyone else wants to try as I have limited build time.

jpot1

Elite member
Resized a little bit so each side of the wing width was just under 20”. Each section will then foldover the front edge forming a KFM4. Only the middle score cut gets the double bevel with the others being a score cut opened slightly by running a bbq skewer over the score cut.

2AFE4735-8F64-45FF-A066-F3CD6B2E2407.jpeg

The pieces will align on the outer most score cut aligned with the front edge of the wing. There will then be a small gap between the edge of the wing and the KFM4 foldover. Hoping to run the aileron servo wires through the gap to the center section. Enter section will be a modified “bloody” series fuselage.

Wing cut and taped in the middle with a hot glue seam.
0222FE22-BEE9-463E-81ED-D96999147C78.jpeg

jpot1

Elite member
I BUILT A BOOBY!! :)

Very quick build, maybe 2 hours. Kept it simple with servos recessed into the wing. Thought I would have more trouble getting the CG in front of the LE but no issue with a C pack motor hanging off the front. Fits a 1300 3s perfectly with all the other parts.

Seems a bit heavy but we shall see. Could change it up for a mini power pod and just move the battery forward. Maiden tomorrow if it drys up outside.

EB199CD3-C9FD-4E87-92C5-613D5AFDDF90.jpeg

F42FBD36-7EB5-4753-99E5-079A02013241.jpeg

Keno

This interest me greatly, This is my kind of plane. It really looks great in flight. I will build similar to Jpot1 build. On Ocean Station November (half way between San Fran and Hawaii) ( Edit- my mistake, they were albatross not boobies) visited us frequently, graceful birds. Thanks for this one thenatedOg.

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
This flew amazing! Three batteries and only a few clicks of aileron trim. Slows down very well and just floats. Guy at the field took video and will post as soon as I get it downloaded. Fast on the C pack at full throttle. May even build it bigger. Any thoughts on paint/decals? Trying to decide if I make it look more like a bird or something else.

thenated0g

Mentor
The family and I made a little trip away from home to Fort Bragg California this weekend. been enjoying the beach and the nice weather over here and been kind of keeping up with what you've been building it's pretty awesome that you did that already so quickly. How was figuring out the CG? Can't wait to see the video.

was hoping to get some flying in myself but the wind is been only like 4 miles an hour this weekend.

Keno

The family and I made a little trip away from home to Fort Bragg California this weekend. been enjoying the beach and the nice weather over here and been kind of keeping up with what you've been building it's pretty awesome that you did that already so quickly. How was figuring out the CG? Can't wait to see the video.

was hoping to get some flying in myself but the wind is been only like 4 miles an hour this weekend.
Fort Bragg interesting, I use to live in Pt Area and grew up in Fortuna. Keno

jpot1

Elite member

Used the calculator you referenced and input my specs. CG was about 5mm in front of the center section. Easy to obtain with the C pack hanging off front. I actually had to move the rx back a little to get it.

thenated0g

Mentor
Good to
Used the calculator you referenced and input my specs. CG was about 5mm in front of the center section. Easy to obtain with the C pack hanging off front. I actually had to move the rx back a little to get it.
Good to Hear the calculation works with multiple wing panels. I had used it for standard wings but not something crazy like that before. I need to get going on my hot cut version now, especially since you're flew so good.