i live in a bad place!

Longbaorder23

Hey all!
I've got my HobbyKing 2.4 6 channel system, and its having some issues. a lot of my flying fields are rendered useless because of 2.4 GHz interference. Some flying fields have absolutely zero interference. Do you guys think its possible to make 2.4 GHz CIRCULARLY POLARIZED antennas for the transmitter and receiver for rc control? It would likely eliminate a lot of my interference issues. Think I could attach one to my transmitter? I'm not interested in buying another radio soon. but I could buy another hobby king one cus they are cheap. Think I could do it? I'm very handy with a soldering iron. Thanks!

tramsgar

You're considering adapting circular polarized antennas for made video to use for control? You'd probably only need the correct antenna adapters (ebay) and the antennas are plentiful (HK et al). Done right, I see nothing special about what travels through them...

robschonk

Different brands of 2.4 gear use different protocols for frequency hopping, etc. rcmodelreviews did a series on that a while back.

That said, Frsky has an excellent reputation for rejecting interference.

Longbaorder23

Its strange to me, because my other hobbyking 2.4ghz car controller NEVER had interfereance problems. ever. But this controller has some. Is there some way to fix it? I dont mind working a bit for a solution, but id like to keep cost as low as possible. Thanks!

lonewolf7717

1. Have you flown these same locations with other TX systems without issues?
2. Little vague on the TX, Hobbyking makes two different basic 6ch systems the T6A (same as the old CT6) and a HK6S.
3. What RX are you using, where and how are antennas/antenna arranged on plane....also antenna proximity to other devices?
4. Have you checked the internals on TX, HK is not known for quality control. Seems as if a couple years ago they had a rash of either badly soldered TX antennas (several cases in which antenna leak broken or badly kinked) which would result in control but severely limited range and intermittent drop outs.

That all being said even entry level 2.4ghz radios now days are almost flawless when it comes to random wi-fi interference. Unless you are trying to fly in absolute wi-fi hell in which case i suggest also wearing some tin foil on your head.

lonewolf7717

Different brands of 2.4 gear use different protocols for frequency hopping, etc. rcmodelreviews did a series on that a while back.

That said, Frsky has an excellent reputation for rejecting interference.

seconds robschonk....been flying multiple 9x radios with Frsky for 2yrs now without issue. Have lost a few planes but willing to blame that on gravity not the components

Longbaorder23

i have successfully used a 72 mhz 3 channel in many of the same locations. infact, with that 72 mhz radio, ive had literally zero interfereance and zero lock outs, never lost control. not once. ever. for a few years. so its baffling to me. im using the T6A. stock t6A receiver, decased. the recevier is on the far left side of the top of my flyig wing. far away from ESC, motor, batteries and such. the only thing its close to is a 9g servo, and the receiver wire, the last 31mm is way out on the edge of the wing. help! thanks!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Was there any shielding in the case? I read some of the cheaper Rx's utilized some kind of shielding in the case to prevent interference. Have you tried any other 2.4 radios out there?

Longbaorder23

hmm.... no i dont beleive so. ive only used maybe one there and it was a car 2.4 radio. still though, that car radio had once again ZERO problems. thats why im so baffled.

eagle4

i find if i turn my radio on at home it knocks out my wifi which is pretty funny and frustrating at the same time lol

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
hmm.... no i dont beleive so. ive only used maybe one there and it was a car 2.4 radio. still though, that car radio had once again ZERO problems. thats why im so baffled.
Different receiver and possibly better quality... not a very good test. I meant another T6A Rx...And has that Rx ever been in a crash? Sometimes they get intermittent...

Longbaorder23

my Rx was in a crash... ALTHOUGH i did test with my friends CT6B receiver. bound perfectly. did the same range test as mentioned below with BOTH receivers. similar results, my T6A receiver was ever so slightly less range than the CT6B receiver. But the other day i did a range test. and although my test was rather irrelevant, it gave some basic results. I was able to have my partner stand at the end of my road, and i would walk down the road and go down the hill. at the bottom of the hill i had wayy lost sight of mypartner. There was a tremendous amount of road and trees in between me and her, and i measured the distance with my area calculator software. it said that the distance was roughly .34 km. I understand my test was bad, being these arent flight conditions at all. i still later intend to do a range check that is line of sight. but this baffled me, i thought this radio had like a mile range? shouldnt it atleast be closer to that? .34km is only .2 miles. thats pretty short. Im looking into starting FPV and I need a radio that can do close range FPV. Im not looking to honestly go more than a kilometer even. Not yet. if or when i do want to do that, ill upgrade transmitters definately. do you guys think my t6A is up to the 1 kilometer radius im looking for? Thanks!

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It's supposed to be, but I don't use any of them. I went with a Frsky module in my 9X or fly with my JR 72Mhz system...

lonewolf7717

i find if i turn my radio on at home it knocks out my wifi which is pretty funny and frustrating at the same time lol
Extremely frustrating....especially since i dont have a hard wire internet service, entirely wi-fi 4g. Radio swaps my wi-fi everytime, even if on other end of the house.

lonewolf7717

So far as the 1km is concerned, others may disagree but in an urban/semi-urban setting flying any 2.4ghz system out of visual range is just pure folly even if its capable of more. Unless you have bionic eyes, 1000m will make a good sized plane disappear. One of the enlightening aspects of flying with a camera on board are all the "little" things that happen to a plane in flight that you may be totally unaware of on the ground. Almost scary the amount of raw video I have catching RX dropped signal beeps back before I made the switch to Frysky. Attached is video evidence of one of many occurrences plus distance. I was flying visual line of sight, not fpv and was continuously dropping signal at about 3/4 of a km but didnt know it till I reviewed vid later.
http://youtu.be/QSzbdkuDZpU?t=15m
.71km.jpg

Last edited:

Longbaorder23

Im not looking to go far, and i know the 1km is actually pretty far. I will be ordering a plane with 2m wingspan. im NOT looking for far, distanced fpv flights. I am looking to just merely go beyond my sight range, to get comfortable with fpv. I will stay rather low altitude. This is why i considered 1 KM to be a good starting distance. You said you had these dropouts before you switched to frysky? Thanks!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yes, but if you are in a "noisy" RF area, you will not get as far as expected with any system. If you are serious about getting into longer range FPV, you might want to invest in a portable spectrum analyzer. The guys love their RF Explorer.

Longbaorder23

thats the thing, is im not looking to do long distance. I want basic closeby flight. the only ever distance flying i might do in the FAR future would be just altitude, and clouds. BUT FOR NOW, just within a Km. i may look into the rf explorer if I cant find anywhere to fly, and ill look into some actual data on my area. Thanks for that! But unfortunately i think when i want to go fly fpv ill have to throw it all in the car and head out to some distant open area. But it would suck if i lost rc control of the plane. I know i live in a very urban environment. Lots of people, buildings, radio signals, wifi, cell phones, ect. So i will consider all this when i go out for some FPV flying. however, do you guys think 2.4 or 72mhz would do better in my environment? For atleast a while, im gonna just be flying my fpv airframe line of sight, NO fpv yet. to just get comfortable with it and to fly it in the meantime before i get my fpv equipment. But id like to have a good rc control link! Ideas? thanks so much