I LOVE the FT Spitfire (after a lucky escape)

The Fopster

Master member
I've built a few FT planes now, but hat's off to David Windestal for his Spitfire design - it's the only plane I have yet to crash (noob pilot). I flew a few days ago in pretty windy conditions and came back in one piece, so today in VERY windy weather I decided to give it a go. Big mistake...

On take off it climbed and banked violently before diving vertically down. I managed to pull out as the wind carried it behind me, over a road and to another field. I managed to flip the autolevel switch on the Lemon Stabiliser Plus received I fitted and it kept the plane level as I managed to bring it down before it disappeared from view. It came down right side up and level, and only a dislodged firewall to show for the excitement.

So - full marks to the FT spit and the stabiliser receiver! If you're thinking of a first warbird, I think this is worth your time to build.

I'll wait for the wind to die down before my next flight, so this evening I'll start on a P47 scratchbuild instead.

Phew!

IMG_20191119_144633675.jpg

The Fopster

Master member
Well done. I always take spare pre built power pods ready to swap out when I inevitably break one.
I think I might try that, but I'm lucky enough that I can fly within walking distance of home so it could be worse!
Anyway - I'll build a spare pod just in case!

Reactions: FDS

tomlogan1

Really a great looking build. Where did you get your graphics? Mine came from Wikipedia. I just sized them and glued them on. Your is much better looking. Great job.. How did you do the canopy? I would like to replicate that.

Thanks.

The Fopster

Master member
Markings are just cut out by hand from sticky vinyl sheets. The canopy is laminator plastic over a paper printed canopy. I got the design from these forums - a search should find it. Love this plane!

I've built a few FT planes now, but hat's off to David Windestal for his Spitfire design - it's the only plane I have yet to crash (noob pilot). I flew a few days ago in pretty windy conditions and came back in one piece, so today in VERY windy weather I decided to give it a go. Big mistake...

On take off it climbed and banked violently before diving vertically down. I managed to pull out as the wind carried it behind me, over a road and to another field. I managed to flip the autolevel switch on the Lemon Stabiliser Plus received I fitted and it kept the plane level as I managed to bring it down before it disappeared from view. It came down right side up and level, and only a dislodged firewall to show for the excitement.

So - full marks to the FT spit and the stabiliser receiver! If you're thinking of a first warbird, I think this is worth your time to build.

I'll wait for the wind to die down before my next flight, so this evening I'll start on a P47 scratchbuild instead.

Phew!

View attachment 153614
I maidened mine today. The light was flat so I cut it short before disaster.

Attachments

• IMG_5704.png
    IMG_5704.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 0