I made my own HK Durafly EFX Racer

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Since I saw this plane, I fell in love with it. then I decided to give me the task of building it by my own efforts, based on the original model. I tried to adjust to the real scale of the model, so here are some images of the result.
This model is constructed of EPP and packing tape for aesthetics.
I hope you like it.

1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I'd like to apologize for my English, it's not the best. My mother tongue is Spanish, but I hope you understand me. ;)
First i would like to start showing us this thread https://www.miliamperios.com/foro/todo-sobre-la-construccion-de-aviones-de-corcho-256019. This is the holly bible for EPP scratch build planes. So i started there.
I wasted a lot of time searching for the EFX plans, but as other comercial models, there are not available plans, so i made my owns using the picts form the manual.
plan.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Once the plan was finished, i printed using the 1:1 scale with the original model, so i had this 110 mm span plane. You can see my scratch build Cessna 182 used for scale.
printed.jpg scale.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Then i cut the templates and used it to cut the EPP using a hot wire cutter. First the top section and then the sides. i glued the paper templates to a hard cardboard.
templates.jpg templates1.jpg templateTop.jpg

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Wow! For a second plane that is amazing! Good job, I’ve been building for over 2 years now (using only dtfb), and I still haven’t reached that stage of building. Have you flown it yet?

slipshift

I'd like to apologize for my English, it's not the best. My mother tongue is Spanish, but I hope you understand me. ;)
First i would like to start showing us this thread https://www.miliamperios.com/foro/todo-sobre-la-construccion-de-aviones-de-corcho-256019. This is the holly bible for EPP scratch build planes. So i started there.
I wasted a lot of time searching for the EFX plans, but as other comercial models, there are not available plans, so i made my owns using the picts form the manual.
No need to apologize, i'm impressed at your grasp of English.

Jim

Edit: Almost forgot, welcome to the forum!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
very nice job!

plan on flying my "real" EFX Racer tomorrow. love this plane, especially if you up motor to the Extra specs.

keep building and welcome to the madness.

me :cool:

Land Shark

Dude, I saw the pictures and was waiting for your version. It took a min to process, then I realized, "Hey this IS his version!" Very well done!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Wow! For a second plane that is amazing! Good job, I’ve been building for over 2 years now (using only dtfb), and I still haven’t reached that stage of building. Have you flown it yet?

Thanks :sneaky:. With a lot of patience you can make incredible things, the point is not stay at the same place, you must go for more.
Where i live (see the presentation thread), we don't have access to the best materials or even components. so we need to make magic ;).

i haven't flown yet, the point is that my first plane was a Cessna, so i don't have the required skill level to fly it yet, so i am waiting. but i was thinking to ask a friend for the maiden. but the weather is not helping jjj.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Well, once i had the fuselage shaped, but not sanded, i made the wings, the process is the same for solid EPP wings... templates & hot wire.
wings.jpg
then i used the paper template form the plans to cut both the wings fallowing the original shape.
shapedWings.jpg
Then i used some pieces of hard wood for the reinforcements because here is imposible to get some carbon fiber tubes or similar.
reiforcements.jpg
And then, i cut off the ailerons.
ailerons.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I made the cowl using a soda bottle and a mold of EPX. Starting form the EPP nose, i made a harder one using the EPX. It is incredible how much heat cant recive this material without lose it's form.
cowl.jpg