I Messed Up.

PoorManRC

Master member
Some of you know me...
As inexpensive as FT Aircraft are, I still needed a lot of help.
I got help from a couple of awesome guys here! I am eternally grateful.

Then, I screwed up apparently, by asking for financial help.... We're still in a pretty dire situation, but surviving.
ONE person (all it takes) started telling People that I was taking advantage of them... even going as far as calling it Scamming!

If that were true, I'd almost be relieved, because it would have meant that we wouldn't have to worry about where food, diapers and other basics were coming from.

Still, I blame myself. I did go too far. I wasn't raised that way, and if my Parents were still alive, they would be disappointed in me.
I'm very sorry for asking for financial help.
It's caused more HARM than good in the long run.

My Hobbies, RC Aircraft and Crawlers, is literally the only thing holding me together. Literally keeping me SANE even. I'm doing it on a narrow shoestring, and in a time frame that would bore most of you to tears!
I'm doing what I can, with what I've got.

If someone would cut me a Simple Scout, that would be great. But I'm not begging....

I have been working on the Simple Cub Speed Build Kit that I got for Christmas!
I couldn't just build it, I had to modify it! Primarily the Landing Gear! I've moved it forward about an inch, in an attempt at smoother Landings.

I'm an Old, Disabled Veteran, I can still walk thank GOD (so many of my brothers and sisters aren't so fortunate). But I can't go chasing Planes. I need at least semi-reliable Flying characteristics, AND good Ground Control.

So far, I have this build in a series of Videos. I'll post the build, and the eventual Maiden (gulp!), if y'all are still interested.

I just HOPE I can win back the Good Friends that I lost.
Thank you for listening.

~ Carmine

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
No harm, No foul!

I am a club flight instructor for my club now as well as being a club mentor. I am writing a series of documents for the club and new club members. I have attached a copy of a doc in the process of being formulated for those who wish to learn to fly alone or unaided.

I hope that it helps you avoid at least one crash or more!

Have fun!

Attachments

• Teach yourself to fly.pdf
    106.1 KB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
No harm, No foul!

I am a club flight instructor for my club now as well as being a club mentor. I am writing a series of documents for the club and new club members. I have attached a copy of a doc in the process of being formulated for those who wish to learn to fly alone or unaided.

I hope that it helps you avoid at least one crash or more!

Have fun!

Thank you so much for that! It will be a BIG help. The nearest Club is almost 20 miles clear across Town. Used to be a short distance, until paying for GAS became a major hurdle.
I'm going to gain a lot from that Doc. Thanks!

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah it seems like you can ask for help, many could come to the rescue but 1 could easily call you out for trying to take advantage of people.

For flying alone and practicing on your own (at least what helped me), is a 3 channel high wing Cub style. FT Simple Cub falls into that category which I know you are building. If you got a big wide open area to fly in then the FT Simple Cub or any size Cub should work. NOW, if you are limited on space, either a Hobbyzone Champ (original yellow 3 ch) OR a WLToys F949 would work great. They are lightweight, easy to fly, and can take a beating. And actually the WlToys can fly for some 20 min on a battery whereas you are looking at the average 6-8 minutes with the Champ. The WLToys I believe runs about $40 and the Hobbyzone Champ runs around $100 (although you can probably find one used for cheaper).

PoorManRC

Master member
Yeah it seems like you can ask for help, many could come to the rescue but 1 could easily call you out for trying to take advantage of people.

For flying alone and practicing on your own (at least what helped me), is a 3 channel high wing Cub style. FT Simple Cub falls into that category which I know you are building. If you got a big wide open area to fly in then the FT Simple Cub or any size Cub should work. NOW, if you are limited on space, either a Hobbyzone Champ (original yellow 3 ch) OR a WLToys F949 would work great. They are lightweight, easy to fly, and can take a beating. And actually the WlToys can fly for some 20 min on a battery whereas you are looking at the average 6-8 minutes with the Champ. The WLToys I believe runs about $40 and the Hobbyzone Champ runs around $100 (although you can probably find one used for cheaper).

Thanks!!
During my hiatus, I've been watching FT Videos, over and over again. I've read Articles, Blogs, ECT....

I'm obviously still no expert, but am armed with knowledge! May give a fighting chance...
I've successfully flown my Mini Sportster in a Gym! With an 1806 and 745 Prop.

And yeah, space... Thought that was going to be a big problem...
Then, taking a back Street, I found a clear, flat, 2-1/2 Acre Lot behind a Car Dealership, and they gave me permission to use it!! :cool::)
So all I have to do is FINISH my Simple Cub!! I'm going to Video the Maiden, pass or fail.
I've done some extensive Mods to my Simple Cub Speed Build Kit!! :eek:
Thank you Buddy!

kilroy07

Legendary member
If you go 3 channel might I suggest a trick I read here awhile back?

Run the rudder on the correct port (don’t swap it to the aileron channel) that way you won’t be like me and struggling when you move to 4 channel planes.

PoorManRC

Master member
If you go 3 channel might I suggest a trick I read here awhile back?

Run the rudder on the correct port (don’t swap it to the aileron channel) that way you won’t be like me and struggling when you move to 4 channel planes.

Now THAT'S an idea! I'll do that. I've cut the Wing Servo holes, fully intending to do Ailerons...

I'm going to try to figure out how to program Mixing into my older FlySky FS-6T Transmitter, to automatically have some up Elevator mixed with Banking, particularly after Ailerons.

I've learned so much in the past year, just reading, watching, then actually FLYING my little Mini Sportster!
STILL miles from Expert - but definitely feeling more confident. ;)
Thanks Tim! I was hoping to hear from you.

~ Carmine

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The Simple Scout is a great flying airplane - I've started using it with a buddy box to train new flyers a couple times this spring/summer with good results. I've built two now and have it setup for my needle cutter so it's not much trouble at all to cut another one out. Drop me a PM with a mailing address and I should be able to get it heading your way by early next week.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll try to dig up the link to an absolutely free, easy to use and install simulator called Multiflight that helped me fly better and try different types of planes(warbirds, biplanes, trainers, flying wings, etc.) with different control setups(3ch RET, 3ch AET, 3ch elevons, 4ch, etc.). Better chance of not messing up a maiden as a new pilot, and smaller leaning curve flying a new plane. If you can get yourself flying well with a Scout or other good trainer, I could send you printed plans and a few small parts(a couple props, servos, motor mount, push rods, control horns, etc.) for a very fun and cool second or third plane. It's a bit more of a challenge than a basic trainer, but not too difficult to fly, and very easy to build and rebuild.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Edited the above post with an idea to send you plans and some stuff when you get comfy with a basic trainer. Here's what they would make, if you are interested. She's more docile than she looks.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
Cool!! A lifting Body! (y)(y)
I'm not good at cutting... Damaged Hands. But that actually doesn't look like it has many complex cuts.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Cool!! A lifting Body! (y)(y)
I'm not good at cutting... Damaged Hands. But that actually doesn't look like it has many complex cuts.
Doesn't have many complex cuts, techniques, or parts. It isn't quite a lifting body, as it is a 1 sheet wing and a nacelle nose fuselage rather than a blended body, but it does have a shape similar to older lifting bodies. Technically what this is a slender delta like the HP-115 or Concord. I believe you may have been around when I was new to the forum and hobby, having a lot of difficulties trying to design it. It's simply a fixed wing jet style plane that has a very skinny delta wing like a classic "dart" paper plane.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Thank you!! :cool:;)
My Computer hasn't worked in over 5 years, but when I can get a new one, that looks like fun!
I even want to get the interface kit, where I can plug my TX into it.
I haven't even tried the interface kit to be honest, but kudos to you if you want to go the extra mile to hone your skill. Even with the keyboard, the feel and response is enough like a real RC plane to build some basic muscle memory and instinct.

PoorManRC

Master member
Doesn't have many complex cuts, techniques, or parts. It isn't quite a lifting body, as it is a 1 sheet wing and a nacelle nose fuselage rather than a blended body, but it does have a shape similar to older lifting bodies. Technically what this is a slender delta like the HP-115 or Concord. I believe you may have been around when I was new to the forum and hobby, having a lot of difficulties trying to design it. It's simply a fixed wing jet style plane that has a very skinny delta wing like a classic "dart" paper plane.

I do actually remember! I thought designing a Plane out of the gate was ambitious...
But there it is! She looks cool, and does resemble the classic "paper airplane"!

Vimana89

Legendary member
I do actually remember! I thought designing a Plane out of the gate was ambitious...
But there it is! She looks cool, and does resemble the classic "paper airplane"!
The Multiflight sim, building a mini Scout kit(that didn't last long but was fun), and buying a ready to fly trainer plane gave me the skills to fly and incorporate some FT build techniques, but not giving up on that specific build on the side the whole time also helped.

PoorManRC

Master member
The Multiflight sim, building a mini Scout kit(that didn't last long but was fun), and buying a ready to fly trainer plane gave me the skills to fly and incorporate some FT build techniques, but not giving up on that specific build on the side the whole time also helped.

Yeah, I have ideas......
But NEED a Laser Cutter first. I'm thinking BIG. :eek:

If I can get to a FF, and REALLY want to be able to afford to, I have ideas for a four 60mm EDF C-5B Galaxy!!
I used to work on those huge P&W Engines between 88-90... That Plane's sheer size still staggers me!!

I'm not 2% ready to start THAT!! But it is on my mind. The new FT P-47 actually gave me ideas for how the tremendous Fuselage should go together.
STILL a pipe dream now...

YOUR concept Works! Kudos!!