I need a new forum for counsel and comradery

mountaindewdude76

Hi all! I'm Derek. I'm 42 years old. I've been married to an amazing woman, Jordan, for the past 8 years. I'm a father of an amazing 4 year old daughter, Makayla, that loves to help me in the workshop. I've been a member of this forum for years but I've spent my time at other forums. That has also become the problem. A few of the other forums have collected some rather egotistical and arrogant people and they see to enjoy harassing and belittling people for asking questions. Yes, I've been flying rc's (planes, helicopters, quads) for the past 7 years but there are times that I come across a problem and I don't know what to do....so, I would go to the forums and several people would really get abusive when I ask questions. I've been flying Spektrum gear since day 1 and I've never had an issue with the gear. Recently, I've begun a plane project that will require 11 channels, so I bought the Taranis X9D and the TBS Crossfire Full tx with Diversity rx and two Micro V2 rx's. The Taranis is a very different animal in comparison to the Spektrum gear. So....I have had a lot of questions to ask, lol.

Now....I've been a huge fan of Flite Test and what Flite Test has done for the rc world. I think it's about time that I call the Flite Test Forums my new home for rc questions and experiences. I enjoy getting and sharing my flight videos. Some videos will have my Dad, my wife, and my lil girl (crew chief) in them because they are frequently with me at the flying fields.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Welcome!!! You won’t find us to be like other RC Groups on the ‘net (see what I did there ;) )

Lots of us run Taranis and OpenTX, so feel free to fire away with specific questions. We’ve all had to learn it. It’s a powerful platform, but is definitely intimidating. I think you’ll enjoy the Crossfire.

Tench745

Master member
Welcome home, Derek. Hopefully you find this a place you feel safe asking what you need to and can get the answers you need. Sometimes some of us can get a little cranky, but don't let that put you off we'll do the best we can to help you out.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the friendly forums! :D

Your experience with other online forums is not unusual - while there are some helpful folks over there, I think the noise to signal ratio is way off. Happy to have you come join the family over here!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Welcome to the forums! Let me know how everything is with the Taranis, I fly spektrum and was interested in getting a new radio soon. My DX8 is great but I like what Taranis has to offer. Especially the price to value aspect.

Also @rockyboy thanks for adding that extra link in your signature;)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
You'll find almost all of us here are great. Me? I'm a giant green jerk. LOL J/K

Seriously, though - Flite Test is a great environment. We love helping out, we love getting people involved in the hobby, and we don't mind answering some of the same questions over again. That said, we may sometimes refer to a specific thread (a common question we see asked in here is, "Which transmitter is the best", to which I always answer, "that's like buying a car - what do you want it to do, do you have people at the field that you fly at who use your brand of radio that can help you, and most importantly, does it feel comfortable in your hands?") for assistance. And please understand with something like "which transmitter is the best?", it's something of a loaded question; we want to give you the information to make an informed decision. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome home, Derek. Hopefully you find this a place you feel safe asking what you need to and can get the answers you need. Sometimes some of us can get a little cranky, but don't let that put you off we'll do the best we can to help you out.

Hey mate Welcome to the Family.

I am the cranky one at times. (hopefully not the only one) But I am excused as I am old and damaged. There are surely a lot of great people here that bend over backwards to help people or even try to learn new things if they can not. Never worry about asking any question here as you will NEVER be told to "Google it" Some may suggest that as an enhancement or even link you to places on Google to answer your questions but you will never get that as a sole response meant in a bad manor.

The only dumb question is the one that never gets asked. Any thing resembling crossing a line of respect gets squashed here quite quickly. I too have been side barred a few times early on when I was a tad to "opinionated or focused" on certain things.

That all said the rules here are simple. Video or it never happened and this forum runs off pictures and videos so post as much as you like.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Yeah this place is the best. rcgroups is great for specific info gathering, get in get out, but as far as sharing what you are doing i find there isnt really any place like the ft forums.

mountaindewdude76

Welcome to the forums! Let me know how everything is with the Taranis, I fly spektrum and was interested in getting a new radio soon. My DX8 is great but I like what Taranis has to offer. Especially the price to value aspect.

Thanks! Ill still keep my DX8 because i have many planes and helicopters bound to it but i will be using the Taranis for my new Long Range builds and a new Search and Rescue plane that im building that requires 11 channels.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Thanks! Ill still keep my DX8 because i have many planes and helicopters bound to it but i will be using the Taranis for my new Long Range builds and a new Search and Rescue plane that im building that requires 11 channels.

The Taranis has a steep learning curve for sure, but Wednesday Taco Fiesta, what's with all the teasing!?

Are you gonna show us the new 11 channel Search and Rescue plane or what? :p

I'm usually not this cranky, but I'm on fire! Friggin' fiesta tacos! :mad::poop::eek:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Yeah this place is the best. rcgroups is great for specific info gathering, get in get out, but as far as sharing what you are doing i find there isnt really any place like the ft forums.

What I like here is that even if we have a crash or failure, most of us talk about it in a positive light. You look at Peter and his giant Star Destroyer (which, seriously, I want to make a scaled down version of that sucker at some point now!), and the flying Lil' Tykes car - they laughed like crazy.

Or even my favorite so far, yesterday's F27 video - I showed it to my wife and she saw both planes impact - at a fairly high velocity - into the Flite Test inflatable gate, and that everyone was laughing about that? She saw some of the infectiousness that us RC pilots have, and understands why I enjoy this hobby the way I do. :)

jamboree1

Welcome to the Gang. The Taranis is a tinkerers transmitter, and FT is all about tinkering. I'm too brain dead for one but many here will have plenty of expertise to offer.

mountaindewdude76

Without a doubt, I love my Spektrum gear. I've never had a brown out and the stuff just works! I wouldn't have even thought about getting a Taranis until I decided to build a plane that will use 11-14 channels and, unfortunately, my beloved DX8 just won't do that. So, I got the Taranis X9D plus and an X8R rx. I have the X8R programmed to output 16 channels and I think it's gonna work real well. It has a steep learning curve but, as the days go by, I am progressing with it. I'll still use my DX8 because I have many other planes and Align helicopters bound to it....but....so far, the Taranis is proving to do what it's suppose to do.