I need a sea plane

kdobson83

So my father in-law moved and they have a pond behind their new house. Being the huge FT fan that I am, I have to take advantage of it.
Now I've looked at the FT models available and feel like the Sea Otter is probably the best fit. But my question to you guys is what polished FT community builds would you guys recommend?

The pond isn't that big, maybe 50-60 feet long and maybe 30-40 feet wide. So I'm using it strictly for landing and take offs. I'd like to keep it medium to small sized, something that would use the a,b, or f sized motors, and no floats like the cub w/floats. I'm not new to flying, I'd consider myself intermediate, I have about 8 ft planes and a couple arcpirate planes as well as a tundra.

I would just do the Otter but that open cockpit allowing all the water in and the 3 channel design makes me weary. I LOVE the seaduck but my wife is already complaining about all the planes I have hanging in the hobby room so I might have trouble squeezing in another large build...

Any input would be appreciated guys! Post links too if you have em too please. 😀

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
My vote goes to the Sea Duck, just tell wifey that you will crash and destroy something else soon enough ;) Ot keep it at your father-in-laws.

Mad_Mechanic

You could also be ambitious and try to build my personal favorite flying boat the Consolidated PBY.

Someone in the FT community built one from foamboard and it was featured at a flite fest some years ago. I think they released some build plans, but I'm not sure where those plans might be.

I built an otter but have yet to test it on the water. It flies real wonky. I may have added a little too much weight trying to make it waterproof:LOL:. the sea duck is fun. the ap kwak is a pretty fun little flyer which looks really funny going through the air. By the way that mini Catalina looks sweet.

kdobson83

My vote goes to the Sea Duck, just tell wifey that you will crash and destroy something else soon enough ;) Ot keep it at your father-in-laws.
The problem with keeping it there is his kids would destroy it... 😐
I am going to FliteFest this year and thought about grabbing a SeaDuck while I was there but ugh, I really am running out of room... Lol I did plan to try and sacrifice at least one plane to the combats at FF.
If only FT would make the SeaDuck into a mini...😒

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I am going to FliteFest this year and thought about grabbing a SeaDuck while I was there but ugh, I really am running out of room... Lol I did plan to try and sacrifice at least one plane to the combats at FF.
Scale down the plans and try it yourself ;).

OliverW

Legendary member
Scale the plans down! Twin 2204 redbottoms. That thing would haul!

kdobson83

Scale the plans down! Twin 2204 redbottoms. That thing would haul!
I would try that, but I don't know the first thing about doing it. I did scale up a spitfire to 125% along with a bunch of mods like top hatch and 3d printed stuff but scaleing down the SeaDuck might be a tad beyond my ability... 😔