I need help for my Tricopter

MrChaos

Hi all

I just finnished my tricopter build, but now I got a huge problem that I hope some of you can help me with.

1. all motors runs when using the throttle, but won't change speed if I use aileron & elevator.

2. If the servo is connected to the control board it won't work, but if the servo is connected in the Rx it works fine.

3. if the settings on the control board yaw, pitch & roll is not at factory setting on nothing works.

And I think it's strange that I don't have to arm the control board to get the motors to run, and I can't disarm the board, I have been following almost every guide on tricopter control board setup there is on the internet and nothing works, and I have placed the wires as every guide states they should, i'm out of ideas of what's wrong, i'm starting to think that I have recieved a faulty control board from hobbyking.

My setup is :

3 x Turnigy DT750 motors
3 x Turnigy plush 30 Amp ESC
1 x multi-rotor control board V2.1 (the green one)
1 x Power HD-2213MG Digital servo
1 x 35 MHz Tx & Rx

All the elektronik is bought at hobbyking

I hope that one of you can help me with my problems, or maybe confirm that my board is faulty :)

Might be a stupid question, but you didn't mention it: did you reflash it with tricopter firmware? and are all 3 pots at 50%?

KoekieMonster

MrChaos

Sorry, but yes I flashed the board to tricopter, and yes the pots are at 50% if they are not, nothing will work :)

saundw

ARM THE BOARD! I had the same exact problem when I started multi-rotors...
Put Yaw Pots to 50%
Turn on transmitter
Turn on control board
Put throttle stick down-right or down-left for a couple seconds until you see a red solid light.

MrChaos

The problem is that I can't arm the board, and I wrote something wrong in my last post, and that is, if the yaw pot is not turned fully clockwise, then the motors keep's bipping, but the 2 other pot's are at 50%

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Motors shouldn't run at all without arming the board. Is there any visible damage on the board?

Try reflashing the board again. The flash process might have been interrupted.

Does the LED blink on the board when you plug it in?

MrChaos

No there is no visible damage on the board, I've flash the board 4 times now with same result, yes the LED do blink when I plug in the battery.

Have you programmed any dual rates?
I can't arm my multiwii because of that.
Otherwise you might try trimming throttle down and/or yaw right.

KoekieMonster

bikerboy

Hey MrChaos, have you done the throttle calibration procedure? Not only on the individual ESC's, but with the board also...

I just finished my tri today, and although I have done all the settings and throttle calibration on every ESC, I had the same problem at first, ESC's beeping and could not arm the board. Took a while to figure it out :)

The throttle calibration procedure:

- yaw pot to min
- turn on transmitter
- put throttle to MAX position
- turn on your board
- you should hear two beeps after the initial sound of ESC
- put throttle to MIN after these two beeps
- turn off your board (FC)
- yaw pot to 50%
- turn on your board again and see if this solved your problem.

Good luck!

MrChaos

Hey MrChaos, have you done the throttle calibration procedure? Not only on the individual ESC's, but with the board also...

I just finished my tri today, and although I have done all the settings and throttle calibration on every ESC, I had the same problem at first, ESC's beeping and could not arm the board. Took a while to figure it out :)

The throttle calibration procedure:

- yaw pot to min
- turn on transmitter
- put throttle to MAX position
- turn on your board
- you should hear two beeps after the initial sound of ESC
- put throttle to MIN after these two beeps
- turn off your board (FC)
- yaw pot to 50%
- turn on your board again and see if this solved your problem.

Good luck!

I have done the calibration procedure alot of time now, and nothing is helping.

saundw

Put all of the yaw pots to 50 than arm the board. Make sure that they are all at 50 when you turn on the control board.

MrChaos

I have tried that alot of time now, and the motors just keep bipping, the only way there will be any life in the tricopter is if the yaw pot is set full clockwise.

I have been following almost every guide about setting up a multirotor controller board, and the things that should happen, dont't, so i'm going to order a new board tomorrow.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
It looks like your board might have some issues - maybe there is something shorting out the metallic parts underneath the board?

MrChaos

It looks like your board might have some issues - maybe there is something shorting out the metallic parts underneath the board?

No there is nothing underneath the board, I also think that the board is faulty and the only right thing to do is to replace it.

MrChaos

What mode and make is your transmitter and what is your receiver?

Thurmond

My transmitter is a futaba FC-16 and receiver is a Corona Synthesized Dual Conversion Receiver 6Ch 35Mhz

I can't remember what mode it's called, but the throttle is on the left side.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Mode 2. Should Arm when throttle stick is down and right for about 5 seconds. I have seen an issue with aftermarket Futaba style receivers where the board will not arm. Also are you using only 1 ESC UBEC of the 3. (The middle wire must be unplugged from two of the esc control lines). Motors should not operate at all until the board is armed.

Thurmond

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Umm, may I say that on my tricopter the arming process has the rudder input reversed. I arm with the left stick down and to the left. The control and gyro are working correctly, though.

MrChaos

Also are you using only 1 ESC UBEC of the 3. (The middle wire must be unplugged from two of the esc control lines). Motors should not operate at all until the board is armed.

Thurmond

I don't exactly what you mean, shall I cut the red wire on to of the wires from 2 of the ESC ? but that is the + wire, will the ESC work then ?

I have bought a new board from hobbyking today, then I have to see if that board works better :)