I need help setting up my big motor

quickpix

I am converting a couple of large planes to electric power.
One is a Great Planes Easy Sport. I am using an Eflite Power 32 and a 80 amp esc, 5cell 25c battery.
What prop should I use for slow flying??

Second is a 55" wing span biplane (9lbs+) I have an Eflite Power 60 ordered, 5cell 25c battery.
What Prop exc should I use for this?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
It is important to know the KV it´f the motors comes in different versions like the Turnigy IC-equivalent versions.
Are there no recommendations of propsize/cellcount on the motor or internet for the motors you have got?
I can find a EP32 with 770 KV recommended to (10x10E tested on 5S in Sundowner 36).
For the 60 with KV 400 i find
Recommended Prop Range:14x8 to 16x10
The biggest recommended prop is for 5 cells as that is the lowest recommended battery.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I'm coming up with the same. Is this your plane? If so then I think you may be disappointed with the Power.32. It calls for a 40-51 nitro motor, I'd go with a bigger motor if I were doing the conversion. That looks like a pretty quick plane. I watched a couple videos of them on youtube. Cool plane. For slow flying, the larger flatter prop in the recommended range would be a good place to start. Keep in mind the ground clearance when running larger props. A 14x10 is the max recommended. A 14x8 would probably do well for you but that entirely depends on the battery you are running as well.

Is your biplane a high performance plane or more of a scale plane? If you aren't looking for super performance you could save some money by putting both on the same 5S batteries instead of going up to 6S or 7S for the power .60.
On the bottom of the horizon page they show an 8.8 pound plane running a 15x10 prop.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/power-60-brushless-outrunner-motor-400kv-EFLM4060A

That would be a good place to start.

quickpix

Biplane specs and pix

I really appreciate everyone that are helping me, I can't get it locally?
I just installed an Eflite Power 60 motor on the biplane.
I don't have the correct prop yet ---- so that is an unanswered question??????
From the pix you can see that I have lots of clearance - the ruler shows 12" to the spinner.
I am using a Gens Ace 4000 ma battery.
I am using a HobbyWing 80 amp opto with a 5 am bec. and Deans connectors on the Battery???? IMG_9101.JPG IMG_9102.JPG IMG_9103.JPG IMG_9104.JPG

Thanks ahead of time for the help

Dick:)

quickpix

Hey thanks
I was hoping that the Power 32 would work, but if you seriously don't think it will I am open for suggestions. There is no hobby shop within 75 miles so I do all my shopping on the net.
The Easy Sport has 8 1/2" of distance to the center of the spinner, re pix.
I am using a Gens Ace 4000 ma 5 cell battery, which Hobbyzone said would work but I ran up a 11x5.5" prop on it the other day and the ESC toasted in about 10 seconds.
I am open for all suggestions -------------here are some pix IMG_9106.JPG IMG_9107.JPG IMG_9108.JPG IMG_9109.JPG

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
A quick note about prop clearance. With a tricycle gear you can measure as you have. But.....with the bi-plane which has tail dragger landing gear, you need to measure prop clearance with the tail raised so the fuselage is level as it would be for take off and landing. Also you need to give yourself some clearance with the tail up for objects like rocks or gravel or if you end up nosing slightly over so you don't wreck a prop.

quickpix

I did that and should have room for up to a 18' prop. I know that is bigger than I need.
The plane is all set up except for the prop ------ what is your best guess for a starting point?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I did that and should have room for up to a 18' prop. I know that is bigger than I need.
The plane is all set up except for the prop ------ what is your best guess for a starting point?

How much do the planes weigh?

For the Power 60 the recommended props are

14x8 to 16x10

The Power 60 is designed to deliver clean and quiet power for 60-size sport and scale airplanes weighing 6 to 10 pounds (2.7–4.5 kg), 46-size 3D airplanes up to 7 pounds (3.2 kg)

So I'd say get a couple and try them. I'd get a 14x8, a 15x9 and a 16x10 to start with.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor

quickpix

Here is an update on my motor prop search.
I installed an Eflite Power 60 motor in the biplane and have decided on a 15x10 prop, however, I had to order a bolt on prop adapter because the spinner that comes with the motor is not long enough to hold a big prop and not enough grip either.
For the Easy Sport: I considered an Eflite Power 46 - then a 52 - then I decided on another 60 motor. The Power 60 will pull stumps at a low rpm and lift over 10 lbs. So it will do the job in the Easy Sport with power to spare. The 46 was marginally small and the 52 is advertised for fast planes, + the 52 is the same price as the 60. After installing the 60 and doing the first run up I was sold, it is the sound and feel of quality. I am going to start with a 15x10 prop on the ES also. I really appreciate the help; kinda wish there had been more input though.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Happy to help. Aside from the weight, I always prefer bigger motors and more power. Glad to hear you are happy with your decision.

quickpix

Just an update on my progress: we took the Easy Sport out for it's maiden flight and the Eflite Power 60 with a 13x8 pro.
We had a healthy wind today and we could take off at half throttle and fly the plane mostly at half throttle.
I got 10 minutes plus out of a 4000 - 5 cell batt, prob more as we get use to how it handles and the length of flights increase per batt.
This was my first large plane to fly and it is true that a big plane flies easier than a small one.
The power 60 is super smooth and hardly makes a sound.
WOW what a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's awesome to hear. I agree, with planes and helis both, it's been my experience that bigger does fly better. It's better to have too much power than not enough because you can always use less throttle.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
More feedback? Sounds like you got the right answers...
I don't ever want to chase people away, but you can get a lot more feedback on RC Groups.
Of course not all the threads over there are newb friendly, sometimes you may get smacked down for not looking it up yourself and you may get so much feedback from people that you will have to wade through the responses and try to figure out who knows what and who you need to ignore....

I suspect that around here most people will not respond if they have no idea.
This forum is also viewed by a much smaller group than some of the other RC Forums- But we're growing :)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I usually won't chime in if someone has already given correct information as it just clogs things up. I might add a bit of support to good info but repeating it over and over doesn't really help anyone. Like ninja said, there's a smaller group here but you'll find they're nicer and less prone to talking down to anyone. I have had a lot of bad forum experiences but none here so far.

quickpix

Hey
I have been in and are in lots of forums too. The rest of them tend to ignore me. Talk to me over and over if you want I love the info this is the way I learn the best.
Another update this time on the orange biplane. First it is soo kool looking in the air!!!! Our first flight was with a 15x4 prop and the guy helping me kinda went into a panic. " He said this plane is way under-powered and barely flyable. oops
We landed it and at that very time, my wife drove up with a package she just received. In it were 5 ---- 15x10 props. We bolted one on the orange bipe and off we went into the wild blue yonder with a brand new plane; OH what a difference a little pitch makes.
Three times the power and a little trim and I have the best flying plane! More than I hoped for. No one in our club that I know of is using big electric power so I have to depend on outside help. Of course everyone has an opinion however proven facts are much better advise; "if you know what I mean Vern"
We got 8 great minutes on a 4000 mah 5 cell battery which was as long as I could hold my breath anyway..... Thanks again