I overdischarged some LiPos. Now what?

I accidentally left some Zippy Compact 3s 2200mAh batteries plugged in overnight and now they are both just below 9 volts. They look fine; there is no puffing. When I plug them into my charger, one will allow me to charge and the other says LOW VOLTAGE.

Can I charge them still, maybe at a very low amperage? Or is that too dangerous?

earthsciteach

You MAY be able to recover them by setting a programmable charger to NiMh. This will allow you to bring them above the LiPo minimum threshold. Keep your eye on them the whole time and check for the battery getting hot. I've had success doing this, but am very wary. Don't burn down your house!

Well I also have another charger that is very simple and I think that it might let me charge them anyway. But I should charge them slow or doesn't that matter?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Charge them very slowly, all you want to do is bring the voltage above the low voltage cutoff where your normal charge will take over. Don't fully charge in any mode besides lipo

Anthemius

You MAY be able to recover them by setting a programmable charger to NiMh. This will allow you to bring them above the LiPo minimum threshold. Keep your eye on them the whole time and check for the battery getting hot. I've had success doing this, but am very wary. Don't burn down your house!

i do exactly the same and its working fine for me.. :)

tramsgar

I've accidentally done the same, had a tx pack (nanotech) that went just below 3V. I charged it carefully under safe conditions and it recovered nicely. If you succeed do a discharge test to see if it can hold a charge properly (it sounded as if you have a capable charger).