• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

I should be committed so I need your help committing to a plane!!!

2nd Plane, FT Explorer or FT Spitfire?

• FT Spitfire

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • FT Explore

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • FT Bronco Pusher

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

FL_Engineer

I want to build a 2nd plane, I've been all over the place with what I plan on building. Thought I was going to build a Bronco pusher, bushwacker, explorer. Finally bought a Timber X and that seems to be a great highwing style plane but I sort of want a slow flying plane like the explorer. I'm also very much considering just going to an FT Spitfire as I have a fondness for warbirds and people seem to have great luck with this plane. I'm not too concerned about crashing it either way. So since I can't make up my mind please just choose for me! I have a 2836 motor and 40A ESC ready to go.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I would say it depend on your piloting skill.
The Explorer is perfect for the beginner, as the prop is protected and it is set almost as a glider.
I have yet to build a Spirfire, but it is by all dell a great plane to have in the stack.
and the bronco... I can't speak to it.

Merv

As others have said, the Spitfire is a great plane and would be a great choice if you can handle the speed, it wants to fly fast. It may be a better choice for the 3rd plane. The bronco is a great choice but a twin motor setup is a bit more difficult. You could make the bronco a single motor pusher. Twin boom pusher have all of the advantages of the explorer.

FL_Engineer

The early returns are in and we can safely call this race in favor of the Spitfire. I have to say I think it's my true favorite anyway. So much so that I already have some khaki/ olive paint and I watched the Swedes build vid like a month ago. Will likely add the battery hatch and foam turttle deck. May also play with the nose a little as it is one thing that bugs me about it. I would love to just step up to the MS but I think a few strategic MS touches could work for now and not make it hurt so bad when it meets the ground.

The Hangar

The early returns are in and we can safely call this race in favor of the Spitfire. I have to say I think it's my true favorite anyway. So much so that I already have some khaki/ olive paint and I watched the Swedes build vid like a month ago. Will likely add the battery hatch and foam turttle deck. May also play with the nose a little as it is one thing that bugs me about it. I would love to just step up to the MS but I think a few strategic MS touches could work for now and not make it hurt so bad when it meets the ground.
I flew my spitfire today and so did one of my flying buddies and we both agree it is one of the best flying ft planes!

BATTLEAXE

I did a thread on the nose mods on the Spit if you would like to check it out, here's the link

BATTLEAXE

I didn't do the top hatch on it, the power pod slides out to change the batt. I did the removeable wing and I suggest making yours fixed if you can. The removeable wing does more damage in crashes then the fixed

mayan

As others have said, the Spitfire is a great plane and would be a great choice if you can handle the speed, it wants to fly fast. It may be a better choice for the 3rd plane. The bronco is a great choice but a twin motor setup is a bit more difficult. You could make the bronco a single motor pusher. Twin boom pusher have all of the advantages of the explorer.
I have to disagree with you on the Spitfire wanting to fly fast if you build the old version I promise you is can slow down so much that you just stay shocked. I vote for the Spitfire. I hear many have issues getting the explorer balanced, as for the bronco cant speak of it as I have no knowledge over it.

The Hangar

I have to disagree with you on the Spitfire wanting to fly fast if you build the old version I promise you is can slow down so much that you just stay shocked. I vote for the Spitfire. I hear many have issues getting the explorer balanced, as for the bronco cant speak of it as I have no knowledge over it.
Yes, today I flew the spit slow, and it really did well!

FL_Engineer

So a little plot twist... Checked the motor on the scout after the crash on Sunday and the shaft is bent. I've repaired it otherwise but it will need a new motor. I could buy a new cheapo one from banggood again or I could use the 2836 in it and find a better motor for the future Spit :unsure:. Also how do you guys handle receivers in your planes? Do you dedicate a receiver to each plane or swap them at the field? I currently have one in the scout and one in the Timber. The flysky receivers are pretty cheap but I'm on a tight budget and looking to save where it makes sense.

The Hangar

So a little plot twist... Checked the motor on the scout after the crash on Sunday and the shaft is bent. I've repaired it otherwise but it will need a new motor. I could buy a new cheapo one from banggood again or I could use the 2836 in it and find a better motor for the future Spit :unsure:. Also how do you guys handle receivers in your planes? Do you dedicate a receiver to each plane or swap them at the field? I currently have one in the scout and one in the Timber. The flysky receivers are pretty cheap but I'm on a tight budget and looking to save where it makes sense.
I have 5 receivers. One is a little sketchy as I’ve had the throttle cut out when fly aggressively, so that one isn’t used much. The other 4 go between planes, but for the planes I fly a lot, I usually try to dedicate one receiver to that plane and not swap constantly. Just like @BATTLEAXE I have all my models saved in the transmitter so all the settings for the specific plane are all saved. If your timber is the bnf version and has a dedicated as3x receiver and stuff, I wouldn’t swap it out, since it seems like kinda a pain and I don’t know if you’d have to to reset or calibrate as3x and stuff. Again, I’ve never dealt with as3x so there might be nothing to it...

Last edited:

FL_Engineer

I have 5 receivers. One is a little sketchy as I’ve had the throttle cut out when fly aggressively, so that one isn’t used much. The other 4 go between planes, but for the planes I fly a lot, I usually try to dedicate one receiver to that plane and not swap constantly. Just like @BATTLEAXE I have all my models saved in the transmitter so all the settings for the specific plane are all saved. If your timber is the bnf version and has a dedicated as3x receiver and stuff, I wouldn’t swap it out, since it seems like kinda a pain and I don’t know if you’d have to to reset or calibrate as3x and stuff. Again, I’ve never dealt with as3x so there might be nothing to it...
Timber is a PNP so I added a FS-ia10b and hobby eagle pro.

mayan

My personal goal is to have one per plane, but as of now just swap out between what I fly and have everything saved on the Tx.