I think I bought a laser.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Wow! that is looking really good. what iss your budget?
It came in around $200 but that was from Amazon. Amazon is a lot more pricey but I needed them to be delivered in time for Christmas. I think if you scoured eBay you could get in for $150. And banggood/Ali express you could get in for $100.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Well I made a TON of progress since I last updated. I will be hitting @Taildragger up for some plans for his Kitfox (I think I heard something about it still being WIP) and after that its time for the Sig Kadet. I designed this entire thing by myself and I will be putting files on Thingiverse soon, but thank you alot to @dkj4linux for documenting a TON of good info on the way all this stuff works! Your swell man! Attached are a few pictures...
Layout.jpg
Cube.jpg
Cutter.jpg
Controller.jpg

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Well I made a TON of progress since I last updated. I will be hitting @Taildragger up for some plans for his Kitfox (I think I heard something about it still being WIP) and after that its time for the Sig Kadet. I designed this entire thing by myself and I will be putting files on Thingiverse soon, but thank you alot to @dkj4linux for documenting a TON of good info on the way all this stuff works! Your swell man! Attached are a few pictures...
View attachment 218356 View attachment 218355 View attachment 218351 View attachment 218350
Is that your own design? wow!

dkj4linux

Elite member
KN4IUU and guys,

I got notified I'd been mentioned... thanks for the kind words. I've just read through your thread... needle-cutters and foamboard cutting systems now abound. I see a lot of you guys have a lot of questions about the machines and cutters so I'll point you to probably the best documented, simplest, and most inexpensive CNC needle-cutter system out there... Edward Chew's ERC TimSav foamboard cutting system. There are many other options and DIY machines out there and needle cutters can be put on almost any CNC machine... I've got a long running thread here on Flitetest if you wanna get an idea of the stuff that can be, and has been, done. But Edward's ERC Timsav would be my recommendation for someone just getting started machine-cutting planes.

Edward once offered this TimSav machine as a < $100 kit (less the aluminum extrusions) but unfortunately was a victim of the pandemic so they are no longer offered. But if you download all the files from the TV link I've provided above you'll have complete instructions, a bill of materials with links, and instructional videos to support virtually everything you need to order parts, build the machine, and process plans for needle-cutting. There is a very active FB group supporting his machine (I don't do FB so can't tell you anything specific about it..) and there is ERC Timsv thread right here on on the FliteTest forum as well... so lots of friendly and helpful people to call on for support.

If you are "handy" and like to build stuff, this is a fun, educational, and rewarding project to take on. It is also challenging... but if hand-cutting planes is getting old for you, it's worth taking the time and making the effort to make it happen. Check out the links/threads and start lurking... there's a lot to learn. When/if you get "hooked", you'll never look back,

Good luck! -- David

Last edited:

Taildragger

Legendary member
KN4IUU and guys,

I got notified I'd been mentioned... thanks for the kind words. I've just read through your thread... needle-cutters and foamboard cutting systems now abound. I see a lot of you guys have a lot of questions about the machines and cutters so I'll point you to probably the best documented, simplest, and most inexpensive CNC needle-cutter system out there... Edward Chew's ERC TimSav foamboard cutting system. There are many other options and DIY machines out there and needle cutters can be put on almost any CNC machine... I've got a long running thread here on Flitetest if you wanna get an idea of the stuff that can be, and has been, done. But Edward's ERC Timsav would be my recommendation for someone just getting started machine-cutting planes.

Edward once offered this TimSav machine as a < $200 kit (less the aluminum extrusions) but unfortunately was a victim of the pandemic so they are no longer offered. But if you download all the files from the TV link I've provided above you'll have complete instructions, a bill of materials with links, and instructional videos to support virtually everything you need to order parts, build the machine, and process plans for needle-cutting. There is a very active FB group supporting his machine (I don't do FB so can't tell you anything specific about it..) and there is ERC Timsv thread right here on on the FliteTest forum as well... so lots of friendly and helpful people to call on for support.

If you are "handy" and like to build stuff, this is a fun, educational, and rewarding project to take on. It is also challenging... but if hand-cutting planes is getting old for you, it's worth taking the time and making the effort to make it happen. Check out the links/threads and start lurking... there's a lot to learn. When/if you get "hooked", you'll never look back,

Good luck! -- David
I'm part of that FB group :)
someday I'll build one I hope

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
ooo a needle cutter
@KN4IUU what type of file works best? I haven't worked with cnc/laser cutting but I think a dxf is right?
I use PDF’s imported into Inkscape then exported into svg(although on second though perhaps DXF might fix a problem I am having) and then imported to openbuildsCAM (an absolutely amazing website) and the that sends the gCode to openbuildsCONTROL (a desktop app) and then sent to the machine. Very fast! It works a trick!

JetCrafts

yes, true, but it's not that dangerous, and the CNC base itself causes tons of trouble as is to build. In my opinion, a plotter is best, just accurately draw out whatever you need and then do whatever you want with it!

Wow! that is such an amazing idea!
I thought that what everyone replaces lasers with . lol.