I think I have the tricopter bug....

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
At less than £4 per frame I couldn't resist.....so I bought 2, spares are always useful!!!!
IMG_20180419_180423809-01.jpg IMG_20180419_180438877-01.jpg IMG_20180419_180514815-01.jpg

:D
Caroline

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
They are loads of fun! :)

And you gotta love those sales on old stock that isn't moving. I picked up a whole mess of 2204 and 2206 motors with built in ESC's for $6 each last year on a sale like that. Almost out of those now... need to find another sale like that

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Just waiting for the bits to finish this build.....again, I swear the waiting for stuff to arrive in the post is the worst bit!!!!!
LOL

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yeah, and the temptation is always there to buy stuff for the next project while waiting on arrival for the current one. At least that's how I end up with dozens of half-completed projects laying around :p

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
For sure....have a mighty mini mustang in build as well and awaiting for some replacement bits for my 3D printed tricopter (RCExplorer style)...;););)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
They multiply like rabbits...... I started with a trifecta, and have a small fleet of tris now. :) Welcome to the insanity!

Cheers!
LitterBug

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Well, it's all ready apart from the receiver and flight computer. I had ordered a Naze32 full for it but now thinking of a different one...F3 or F4.
Suggestions??????
open_and_waiting.jpg compacted.jpg dramatic.jpg

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Well, it's all ready apart from the receiver and flight computer. I had ordered a Naze32 full for it but now thinking of a different one...F3 or F4.
Suggestions??????

It's definitely not worth buying any F1 based board any more, they don't have enough processing power to run all the features on newer firmware. Betaflight has already dropped support, and I imagine the others aren't going to support them much longer. F3's will be around for a while yet, but F4's are probably a better bet. Just be aware that F4's can be fiddly to get FrSky telemetry working if that's the radio system you're running..

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Two F4 flight controllers purchased, both with barometer and built-in compass. Also got a external GPS/compass unit for the big tricopter so hopefully I can do nice stuff with that like mission planning, return to home and loiter.
Don't you just love payday ;)

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Tried my Naze32 board in the Trifecta - both rear servos are now dead :(
First one was rough from the beginning and then just stopped, the second was nice and smooth, I also added some lithium grease to the tail tilt gears and used a servo tester to exercise it...all looked great but as soon as I connected the servo to the NAZE32 it went hard over to its end stop and wouldn't listen to any input.
Put it back on the servo tester and same result, suspect the internal pot has failed.
more servos on order :(