I Turned a Corner - Modified Bixler Gremlin

RotorBearron

I believe I made a huge leap in my flying today. Probably mostly my confidence.

I built this modified Bixler Gremlin a while back.
EA9347B1-5653-4DC5-9ECC-70521E95ADC0.jpeg

214547FD-A560-45CE-8F62-D766AC43BF0E.jpeg

A36DAD73-9F03-41EB-ABF4-35969139F735.jpeg

I’ve flown mostly in wide open areas and my small back yard with okay success. Lots of ballooning and that kind of thing.

This weekend while on a trip I flew my Gremlin on the back side of the pool area which had a number of trees. I took it slow at first like I was flying in my backyard (I can’t go too fast back there).

At 1st, it was just back and forth in the clear area. Then I took the leap and headed for the thinner stand of trees. There I was in the shade and under the canopy. I took the turn around the tree pretty slow and steady, my heart pounding the entire time and I leaned my body as if that would help. Before I knew it I was around the tree and speeding along the ground at a good clip.

Three batteries later, lots of slightly faster tree dodging, and even an shot through a V in the tree and no crashes. It felt amazing.

I don’t fly as much as I would like to. Getting motivated to get everything ready and head to a site can be a headache. And don’t get me started on the heat. In any case, this makes the sweat and solder fumes worth it.

Thank you, Flite Test

Daryl
Aka RotorBearron

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
If you're enjoying this, and decide to "upgrade" go with the Turbo Gremlin. I love mine, and fly it instead of pretty much every other quad I own.

My poor standard Gremlin keeps getting body transplants. I started with the original, and have since moved the guts from that, to the Josh frame, and now it's in the Alex frame.

RotorBearron

If you're enjoying this, and decide to "upgrade" go with the Turbo Gremlin. I love mine, and fly it instead of pretty much every other quad I own.

My poor standard Gremlin keeps getting body transplants. I started with the original, and have since moved the guts from that, to the Josh frame, and now it's in the Alex frame.

I like the Josh frame especially since I can mount the battery on top. I'd really like to see a side by side comparison of the camera views - prop or no props.

What is the difference in the Turbo? I was thinking about upgrading the flight controller to EMAX Magnum F3 AIO Mini Flight Controller Stack. But I'm not sure how well it would fit. Need to break out the calipers.

Daryl

silvrrubi592

Are the downward motors on the rear your own tweak, or is that the designed install? I've seen it a couple times now, but the original pics on the site looked like everything was up. I'm still trying to decide on what transmitter to get before I settle on the receiver, and the "final" location of major components. The "open plan" design of these is great, unless your really new to it. I'm hoping this goes better then my last attempt with balsa stick planes. That ended after less then 5 minutes of air time and two crashes, the last needing a full rebuild of the fuselage....