I used Elmer's Foam Board

aslansknight

I used Elmer's Foamboard to make my FT Flyer and FT Bloody Wonder. How much will the extra weight hurt me as I'm learning to fly? Each sheet of Elmers weighs approximately 8 ounces versus 4 ounces for Adam's foam board. Double the weight means double the required lift - so does that mean I'm going to have to double the flight speeds in order to stay airborne?

Tench745

Master member
For the flyer at least it's not going to hurt you too much. I built mine out of Elmers and it flies fine. It'll need a bit more power and speed to get it in the air than a lighter one. The thing that the denser foamboard really affects is the CG; you have to put a battery way forward to get it to balance. On the bright side, Elmers is far more durable so if you crash, it'll take the hit better.

RichB

Another warning for CG issues here.

I fly a Storch made from Elmer's foam and my brother flies one made from Adams foam.

My plane was so tail-heavy that I needed a 5000mah 3 cell slung under the power pod all the way flush with the firewall, and also had to move the wings back an inch

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I used Elmer's Foamboard to make my FT Flyer and FT Bloody Wonder. How much will the extra weight hurt me as I'm learning to fly? Each sheet of Elmers weighs approximately 8 ounces versus 4 ounces for Adam's foam board. Double the weight means double the required lift - so does that mean I'm going to have to double the flight speeds in order to stay airborne?

What are you using to power it? I doubt the 24 gram motor will do it.

aslansknight

I'm using the power pod from a previous build that I made because I thought it looked cool... an FT 3D (which at my skill level I can only fly vertically in a downward direction). Here are the specs for the motor:

Model: NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv
Kv: 1200rpm/v
Max current: 17A
Max Power:215W @ 12v (3S) / 286W @ 15v (4S)
Shaft: 3mm
Weight: 57.6g
ESC: 20A
Cell count: 3s~4s Lipoly
Bolt holes: 16mm & 19mm
Bolt thread: M3
Connection: 3.5mm Bullet-connector
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Series_28_26A_1200kv_286w_USA_Warehouse_.html

I'm using a 10x4.5 glass-filled nylon propeller, a 25 Amp ESC, and a 3 cell LiPo. I figured too much power is better than too little. Also, I wanted to use an ESC that was rated significantly higher than what I would use.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
First, that power setup should work with an Elmer's board BW. It will not be a speed demon, but it should fly okay.

Second, you're going to fry your motor and/or ESC with that prop. A 10" prop is way to big for that motor. You should be running an 8x4 or an 8x6 (max) APC style prop on the NTM 2826 1200kv. I've smoked a couple of those motors trying to turn a 9x6 prop.

Third, I usually run a 25 or 30 amp ESC with those motors too.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The Bloody wonder should really like that power setup. The flyer, not so much -- it's a bit heavy for the flyer, and you're using heavy board as well. Most of the larger FT airframes should be happy with that motor, even with the extra weight.

That being said, the BW is not a fantastic first airframe -- it's a great second, but not first. On the BW, you'll need to learn to level the wings for yourself, which can make her a bit of a handful for learning controlled flight. You might consider the Storch or Simple Soarer for a better trainer. The heavier foamboard will actually work in your favor on the Soarer, since it's designed for a lighter motor -- having the extra tail weight from the board will help your balance.

BTW, which 3S pack are you using?

aslansknight

I'm not actually trying to learn using the BW - that's (possibly) my next step after the FT Flyer. I'm not ready for aileron control yet but I am building it anyway because I had two spare servos (that's what I tell myself). I'm using this LiPo:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...y_1800mAh_3S_20C_Lipo_Pack_US_Warehouse_.html

Again - I've not actually flown any fixed wing aircraft (successfully). I have an electrohub quadrotor that I can fly okay (as I type this it's out of commission, coincidentally). Mostly, I just like building things.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Mostly, I just like building things.

In that case, you're in the right place :)

Do you fly acro yet?

If you're still flying with self level, then waiting on the BW is a cautious plan. If you're not, you should be used to putting the airframe in it's place, you've just got to get used to the constant forward motion.

Again, an FT Flyer from Elmer's is going to be heavy and unhappy with that power system (and I agree with Sponz about the prop -- drop to at least a 9x4.7 or smaller). Go ahead and build out a simple soarer. it's a fun build and a docile flyer . . . and should be fine with that motor and Elmer's foamboard.

aslansknight

Do you fly acro yet?
No acrobatics yet - just normal flying.

If you're still flying with self level, then waiting on the BW is a cautious plan.
I am still using auto-level since I'm new to flying in "real life". However, I'm getting comfortable flying that way - even on windy days. My crash was due to my own stupidity. I lost a prop mid-flight... I hadn't double checked the torque for one of my props. #ImADummy I do tend to learn from my mistakes, though.

FT Flyer from Elmer's is going to be heavy and unhappy with that power system
Guess I have to build one from Adams', then. ;)

drop to at least a 9x4.7 or smaller
I have a couple APC 8x6E props that I could switch with.

Shhh... My wife doesn't know that we get a tax refund. ;) Just kidding - she knows.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Wow. Springing for the APC's with your tax refund. Always interesting to see how the 1% live ;)

A 9x4.7 and an 8x6 should pull about the same power, however be advised the 8x6 will *WANT* to fly faster and will have less thrust at low speeds. Completely your call in going for a fast 8" prop or a slow 9".

I'll still warn that's a BIG motor/battery for the FT flyer, even with the DTFB. Regardless of the prop it will fly heavy and fast, and balance will be . . . interesting.

Acro != acrobatics. In multirotors it means flying without self level assistance -- gyro assistance only -- however from the sounds of it, you're still flying with self level (no shame in that). You *can* perform some aerobatics in some auto-level modes, but still not the same as full acro.

BTW, we call it "Pilot Error," not "stupidity" . . . It sounds classier, although we all know what it means . . . mostly because we're just as guilty ;)

As long as we learn, we're better off :)

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
BTW, we call it "Pilot Error," not "stupidity" . . . It sounds classier, although we all know what it means . . . mostly because we're just as guilty ;)

My uncle had a similar term he used when he lost a fish. It was the LDR. An LDR is a Long Distance Release :)

Sounds more like you planned it that way. Catch and Release at its finest.

aslansknight

I had never heard the correct terms for rate/acro versus attitude/auto-level until just recently. That's good info to have. ;) Pilot error does sound better! One percenter - that's rich! (See what I did there? ;) )