• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

I Wanna be a Birdy

Thorondor

It's awesome to fly models and stuff, and I don't ever intend on quitting on this hobby, but I wanna fly. Me. In the air. Without FPV goggles. I need to find a way to do it cheaply too, I also have to maintain all my other hobbies. I'm torn between paramotoring and paragliding. I like paramotoring because I could do it almost anywhere and it's relaxing, but it also means another engine to buy and maintain. Paragliding sounds equally fun, as well as a little cheaper, and there is a paragliding tow center an hour from my home and I love traveling out west where a lot of flying areas are, but it also sounds like an extreme sport with broken bones and concussions. Any thoughts/recommendations?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Dont lead with yer face? heheh.. Remember Icarus and wanting that freedom.

Seriously though if you can afford and want to do something rock on. Dont pass up a chance to expand your knowledge, skills, or life experiences. You never know when they can or will be taken away.

Thorondor

Dont lead with yer face? heheh.. Remember Icarus and wanting that freedom.

Seriously though if you can afford and want to do something rock on. Dont pass up a chance to expand your knowledge, skills, or life experiences. You never know when they can or will be taken away.
It'll have to come a little bit later, though. I'm gonna get through undergrad school, thru-hike the Appalachian Trail, do grad school, and then I can worry about buying a $4,000 upsidedown hammock.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Paragliding is very fun, sure it is a bit dangerous but what isnt.
Having from strings under a big piece of nylon fabric is quite pleasant, especially if you can find some good lift and enjoy your seat in the sky for a while.
I need to get my license and stuff too, damn you dad for showing me this stuff!

mrjdstewart

The best part of RC planes, I know that no-matter what happens, I'll always be able to walk up to it and say, "Oh my, what a mess".
as a former dirt bike racer/rider who has broken too many bones, i TOTALY agree with this.

after my last "accident" and a broken neck (don't even get me started about this BS), i decided i needed to step away and find something else to do with my time. without racing i knew i still needed something that was mechanical, that i had total control over, i could do crazy stuff with, and fill that competitive void, RC airplanes just fit the bill.

and.... i always know no matter how bad the crash, i'm gonna walk away just fine. :ROFLMAO:

laters,

me :cool:

Thorondor

I've been contemplating, and I think it would be worth it to spend a little extra on a simple engine rather than almost assuredly paying hospital bills. The only way I can see myself paragliding is at really low-risk areas like windy beaches and sand dunes.

mrjdstewart

...is at really low-risk areas like windy beaches and sand dunes.
sand moves but sand doesn't compress, trust me on this one. :sneaky:

go do what makes you happy, have fun, be safe, and accept the risk. that is life in a nut shell. some people never get to experience things due to fear. i certainly don't regret what i have done or what it has led me to. i've had fun!

laters,

Thorondor

sand moves but sand doesn't compress, trust me on this one. :sneaky:

go do what makes you happy, have fun, be safe, and accept the risk.

laters,

RC: little to no risk, only money
Scuba: very little risk, actually statistically safer than landscaping work
Camping: small risk of injury, but only if you're stupid
College: probably sucking years from my life but whatever

Paragliding: decent risk of unexpected impact with various things
Paramotoring: still a good risk, but not nearly as much as paragliding
Skydiving: very safe if you go to a reputable venue

Conclusion: One can have fun while not risking your life savings on one's femur surgery

BS projects inc.

Sailplane are a pretty inexpensive way to fly, if you can find a club in your area you can fly club planes at a reasonable price. most clubs average around $75 to $100 for an hour long flight with an instructor which is significantly cheaper than a powered plane.

Thorondor

Sailplane are a pretty inexpensive way to fly, if you can find a club in your area you can fly club planes at a reasonable price. most clubs average around $75 to $100 for an hour long flight with an instructor which is significantly cheaper than a powered plane.
Or I could make the one-time purchase of a chute and a power unit for about $5k and fly all I want.