I WANT one of these!

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Brand new that jetcat p20 would run three grand. Add another grand for the equipment needed to run it. sometimes you can find a good used one for a deal.

I know a guy just getting into turbines. He just bought a turbine for $1500.00 but it's a bit of a craps shoot buying a second hand turbine as they are high maintenance machines.

They are pretty cool though.

earthsciteach

Um, ok. The '93 Honda Accord I drive cost me $3500 4 years ago. In other words, there is no way in hell I'm buying something like this. But, I do have a degree in mechanical engineering... I wonder how many hours of DIY it would take me to scratch build one...

Answer-far more hours than my severe ADD would allow.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hobbyking will have one soon apparently that is projected to be around the price of the Scorpion electric motors... If you think about the components of a turbine, they really shouldn't be so expensive.

earthsciteach

Cool! Good to know. Agreed - there can't be any cutting edge materials on a tiny jet engine. Construction techniques can't be too bizarre.

I wonder how these little engines burn kerosene.

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Dude, my 94 silverado cost me less than I have into my rave 90 heli. It's all about priorities man!

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Hobbyking will have one soon apparently that is projected to be around the price of the Scorpion electric motors... If you think about the components of a turbine, they really shouldn't be so expensive.

It's not really components that cost the money. Turbines need to be perfectly balanced for long life and this requires pretty precise machining. The money comes from tight tolerances and quality control. As much as I like hobbyking's products I'm not sure I'd trust a turbine from them. Go on YouTube and search turbine jet crash and see what damage a tank full of jet a can do.

PaulT

Mentor
It's because you have a 94 Chev truck, that you can spend so much on your habit, Mike.
Seriously, it would be fun to see you fly this near Suffield to see if it gets shot down by the military!!!!
With this much speed it might be considered a weapon in my hands.lol

earthsciteach

Yep, no car payment for me! Hell, at the moment, I have to use a screw driver to open the drivers side door from the inside. Handle broke. The car has about 275,000 miles on it. Still gets me up and down the road just fine!

Good point regarding the tolerances. I don't need a jet turbine. But it does sound so freakin' awesome!

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
They are sweet little items to see fly. I had the pleasure of seeing a guy who had two turbines at a fun fly I attended. They look, sound, and smell like the real thing. It's a real show stopper.