I want to build a AT-6 and need help with FLAPS

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I've seen other people cover EPP with paper so they can get a nice smooth painted surface, and it does add a good bit of strength depending on the type of paper (and glue) you use. Probably need some experimentation with local materials to see what works best for what you have.

A plastic sheet for the connector like you show will probably work a lot better over time - a thin wire could start to cut through the EPP over time. And doing the whole split flap out of plastic would probably work great too - just need a little bit of framing inside to give it the right shape and let the plastic connector slide in and out.

Think will use some plastick sheats for the flaps. will be more strong and also thiner than EPP sheat. not a big deat to make a drawer to hold the plastic piece between the flaps. using a bit of super glue it could be done easy.
thanks for coments. ;)
will make some experiments and will post some picts then.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well I need not do a diagram as the one you provided is adequate to the purpose. As for the flaps bending, you could use a stronger material like plastic or the like but there is an easier approach and that is to laminate the flap with a thin but strong material. My preference is to use 1mm or thinner Balsa when laminating FB to make it stronger.

You can use the wire that slides in a hole in the flap or have 2 of the "Paper clips" but glue them on the outside of the flap, (one on the top and the other on the bottom), This traps the flap between the clips and allows it to slide reasonably freely.

Have fun!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Well I need not do a diagram as the one you provided is adequate to the purpose. As for the flaps bending, you could use a stronger material like plastic or the like but there is an easier approach and that is to laminate the flap with a thin but strong material. My preference is to use 1mm or thinner Balsa when laminating FB to make it stronger.

You can use the wire that slides in a hole in the flap or have 2 of the "Paper clips" but glue them on the outside of the flap, (one on the top and the other on the bottom), This traps the flap between the clips and allows it to slide reasonably freely.

Have fun!
Nice advice. i think i get your point.
I can;t find balsa here so it should be a plastic sheat.
i will try diferent aproachs to see which works better. Will post results later.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Nice advice. i think i get your point.
I can;t find balsa here so it should be a plastic sheat.
i will try diferent aproachs to see which works better. Will post results later.
You could try the cardboard from cereal boxes. It is somewhat heavy but cheaper than sheet plastic and when coated in glue it can be quite rigid.

Just a thought!

Have fun!