I want to fly an A-4 at Flite Fest...

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
@Mid7night

I printed out ver. 2 by mistake. Which pieces are needed to update to ver. 4 please?

Is it just the tube, canopy and nacelles?

Those for sure. Unfortunately, the rear-end of the fuselage is different too, because the nozzle-exit diameter increased.

Fuselage body (NOT the nose)
Nacelles
Thrust tube
Thrust tube exit and guides
Canopy

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Those for sure. Unfortunately, the rear-end of the fuselage is different too, because the nozzle-exit diameter increased.

Fuselage body (NOT the nose)
Nacelles
Thrust tube
Thrust tube exit and guides
Canopy

OK thanks! I can go with the wings, spars and tail...and nose...from what I have.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
20170706_130255.jpg

Managed to get to Office Max.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Awesome! Can't wait for next week!

Would have liked to have been there. Maybe South.

bugatti.jpg

I've been working (finally) I swear! Picked up 2 pieces of black foamboard for the A-4 project and I'm using some leftovers for my Baby Bugatti fuse.

All templates for the A-4 completed.

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That's great! Can't air to see you progress!

Unfortunately I didn't have time to build an A-4 at FFE, but I DID make a jet...stay tuned... ;) :cool:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Here are the pics I have from my first build of the EDF. This one has the old squarish nacelles, so you obviously don't fold the new ones, but their placement is the same.

My placement of the servo wire and extension was an afterthought - I suggest you run the wire inside the fuselage when you install the fan. Glue it to the wall and run it all the way forward to the nose.

Some of the pieces in the fuse are slightly different - specifically the ones that hold the fan unit in place. If you have ANY questions where certain parts go, please just post a pic and I'll answer ASAP. In the future, perhaps I'll number the parts and include a legend, like Lego-kit instructions.

View attachment 88358 View attachment 88359 View attachment 88360 View attachment 88361 View attachment 88362

The new version of the wing has cut-backs in the upper surface - this is to allow a space for the battery slide in from the front, and sit under the fan unit for proper CG:

View attachment 88363 View attachment 88364 View attachment 88365 View attachment 88366

This is how the nose looks once you're done; this is where you snake the batter in and back under the fan:

View attachment 88367 View attachment 88368 View attachment 88369 View attachment 88370 View attachment 88371 View attachment 88372 View attachment 88373

That's awesome. I was fretting a little over the fuselage piece. I think I understand the build pretty well now.
Ready to proceed.

I bought some black foamboard for the fuselage, in order to get some weight neutral contrast. I have a little green tape for trim, and I warmed up the low weight build attempt with the Bug.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Working on Ben's plans for the A-4. Should have them ready in a week or so.

RudeFPV

So happy to hear that Sponz, have really been looking forward to building this plane, This thread is what made me order some EDF's from FMS =P ontop of that Mid7night just keeps delivering amazing edf designs that keep drawing me in(this A4 and now an F-5)! Keep up the awesome work the both of you, I really appreciate it!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Awesome. Thanks! I also noticed on the Baby Bugatti plans, that it shows a bevel of the lower trailing edge. On the build video I don't believe this step was completed?

Correct, and correct. That's something I did the first time that I forgot every time after. It's a nice detail that makes things cleaner, but not 100% necessary for success. The one I flew on the FT episode did not have that bevel either.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
That's great! Can't air to see you progress!

Unfortunately I didn't have time to build an A-4 at FFE, but I DID make a jet...stay tuned... ;) :cool:

I had glimpsed the F-4 and figured it was yours. Very smooth! What size fan and motor for that one?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
JESTER!

This, my third (I think?) A-4 build, and I figured it was high time I actually PAINTED one. Since brown foamboard is brown, and half of "Jester"s paint scheme is brown, I simplified it to just brown/green and masked it off. It won't be winning any scale contests, but it'll look good in the air, and it'll be FUN! :cool:

IMG_4421.jpg
IMG_4422.jpg

Still need to iron lam-film on the belly to protect against my rocky dirty field, but other than that he's ready to fly!

OH yeah, almost forgot; MAJOR THANK YOU going out to STU from Flite Fest West!! He's the guy who's saw my C-17 and A-4, and said "you want a big EDF?" .... and just GAVE me a 70mm Dr.MadThrust EDF, 100A ESC and 4500mAh 4s package!! So THAT'S what is going to power Jester, thanks to Stu. Not to mention he's been cutting my kits and mailing me parts ....dude is awesome. If you go to FFWest and he's there, shake his hand.

THANKS STU!!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Very cool! I have a question about the EDF cradle. I'm not sure how the bottom (actual) piece of the cradle is supposed to go on.

Also, regarding the "deflecting flaps" coming out of the fuse for the intake, do you think it might be better to score that piece in order to easily fit it to the nacelle?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Very cool! I have a question about the EDF cradle. I'm not sure how the bottom (actual) piece of the cradle is supposed to go on.

Also, regarding the "deflecting flaps" coming out of the fuse for the intake, do you think it might be better to score that piece in order to easily fit it to the nacelle?

Cradle: B-Fold. Then after you fold up the fuselage sides, you should see the set of slots the tabs fit into. One set is higher than the other, so it should only line up one way.

Inlet 'flaps': They should be scored and folded out into the nacelles - there is an angle gauge in the plans; it was meant to help set the angle they fold out to, but after building a few I've found that they need to be folded out a bit further. There should be some pics in the thread showing how they fold out.