I want to fly an A-4 at Flite Fest...

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
UPDATE: LATEST VERSION IS v8, OUT NOW!! CHECK "ATTACHMENTS" BELOW FOR FILES LABELED "XF_A-4_EDF_v8_..."
(not yet SP0NZ formatted)

Previous version, SP0NZ Formatted Plans Here:

View attachment XF_A-4_b0.7_AIO.pdf
View attachment XF_A-4_b0.7_Full-Size.pdf
View attachment XF_A-4_b0.7_Tiled_A-Size.pdf
View attachment XF_A-4_b0.7_Tiled_B-Size.pdf

So I started building one.

30" wingspan, for the curious.

I've got a ton more pics of the process, if anyone is interested. (also have the plans, of course)

This is mostly a test-build, as I plan on bringing just the paper pattern to FF16 - flying from CA to OH with prebuilt planes is not exactly feasible - but I do plan on taking it all the way to a first flight to make sure it actually, y'know...FLIES. ;)

It's gonna be a puller with a folding prop - cuz that's what I've got. Last night I made a slender power-pod of sorts that the motor/ESC will sit on in the nose - I'll post pics of that later too.

It's a super blocky-build, but it's also pretty darn simple. I went from pattern-on-foam to all pieces glued in about 3 hours - which considering I was making most of the assembly up on the fly, I think isn't all that long.

I'll keep posting progress; I want to get all the electronics in tonight.

Anyone else wanna fly formation with me? :)

Edit: Added color PDF plans, see attachments

IMG_1011.JPG IMG_1033.JPG bh-A4_unfold_color.PNG

Old plans: View attachment FT_A-4_EDF_v4_PDF_Plans.zip

Attachments

• bh-A4_unfold_color.pdf
    45.7 KB · Views: 121
  • XF_A-4_EDF_v8_PDF_paper.pdf
    193.1 KB · Views: 0
  • XF_A-4_EDF_v8_PDF_sh3.pdf
    146.8 KB · Views: 0
  • XF_A-4_EDF_v8_PDF_sh4.pdf
    313.9 KB · Views: 0
  • XF_A-4_EDF_v8_PDF_sh2.pdf
    186.4 KB · Views: 0
  • XF_A-4_EDF_v8_PDF_sh1.pdf
    173.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Progress!

I realize no one will likely read this until morning...or later today...but if I don't post now it just won't ever get done. :p

52oz! O_O

And to balance the CG right, the battery has to go literally under the tail in the back.

Only thing left is to actually mount and secure the battery, and do a static run-up to verify all the parts are workin' right. :)

Attachments

• A4-5.jpg
    A4-5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • A4-4.jpg
    A4-4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • A4-3.jpg
    A4-3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • A4-2.jpg
    A4-2.jpg
    890.7 KB · Views: 3
  • A4-1.jpg
    A4-1.jpg
    906.1 KB · Views: 8
  • A4-6.jpg
    A4-6.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • A4-7.jpg
    A4-7.jpg
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 4
  • A4-8.jpg
    A4-8.jpg
    969.4 KB · Views: 4
  • A4-9.jpg
    A4-9.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That looks really good. When will plans be released? :cool:

Just waiting for someone to ask. ;)

I'll post em later today.... Out and about away from the computer now.

Plans Disclaimer: They're not as color-coordinated as the FT ones, but it does have all the pieces laid out on DTFB rectangles so you can plan accordingly. A bit of builder's-intuition may be helpful, but if you've built from plans before you'll be fine. I'll also post pics of my build process, if that's helpful.

Stay tuned!

abieex

Mentor
I was in an A4E squadron (VA-195 Dambusters) during the VietNam war and Im really excited about this plane! Im following closely and it will be next on my bench. Thank you for doing a model of the Scooter!!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
My apologies for not posting a more readable format, but apparently my copy of Photoshop needs to be reinstalled ... my 3D program only exports to .AI (Illustrator) for graphics-output, and I can only convert it to PDF in Photoshop or Illustrator. So if you have either of those, have at it. I'll try and get the file format sorted soon.

NOTE, MISSING FROM PLANS: 1. Battery hatch placement/cutout - 2. Power Pod Motor mount - 3. Nose attach reinforcement pieces
These were all created as I built, and I plan on drawing them up, I just haven't made time. I'll update the OP with build-process pics "soon". ;)

Meanwhile, I just finished the battery placement and mounting ... had to also solder an extension lead so I could actually mount the battery that far aft! :p

Completed a static run-up ... Ready to fly! Even got a volt/amp meter and RPM/temp sensor wired in, feeding telemetry to my Taranis. Should be fun!

I don't know that I'll do everything the same at Flite Fest - the motor mount was a bit of an afterthought, and I might just glue it in on-site.

Ben

Edit: Added PDF version of plans, see attachments

bh-A4_unfold_color.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1050.JPG
    IMG_1050.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • FT-A4_unfold copy.ai.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 30
  • bh-A4_unfold_color.pdf
    45.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Haven't posted due to lack of activity, it hasn't died.
Batteries are charged and I'm ready to fly....as soon as the wind isn't blowing so crazy. It was gusting to 40mph yesterday, and probably still in the 30's today - that's when I go to the slope with lead! :cool:

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Realize you havent maidened and this may change but what motor/prop and battery you flying with?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Maiden target is tomorrow.

Don't judge the combo, it's just what I had on hand. It may prove to be overkill, but better to be overpowered than under...

The motor is this 850kv outrunner from HK. Prop is an 11x10 Carbon CAM folder. Battery is a 3000mAh 4S lipo.

Should be interesting to say the least!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Maiden Success!

After a failed bellyflop yesterday (I'm not posting the video, it's short and embarrassing), I patched it up and replaced the prop and had two full flights this morning!

The calculated CG was WAAAY off (hence the initial bellyflop), I had to move the battery from the back to basically over the wing. Once I had that sorted, it flew awesome. I made a note of where the CG actually wants to be, I'll update the plans later.

Enjoy!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
My apologies for taking so long in posting the build pics, but there's a lot! Here's the process in pic form:

Don't forget, I posted new updated COLOR plans in the first post!

-
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -

Initial (calculated) battery location: BAD! DO NOT PUT YOUR BATTERY HERE!
-

Reused the battery hold-down I made, I just moved it forward.
-
- -

Moved the battery up over the wing, and had to add a cheater-access-hole in the top, just to be able to get the battery in and out:
- -

Original 11x10 folding prop broke on the initial (aft-CG) failed maiden, so I had to use a fixed 10x7. It still flew awesome! Also I added some hi-vis duct tape for good measure. :)
- -

JasonEricAnderson

That is awesome. Growing up Navy my mother worked on T-A4J's in Kingsville TX for a few years. I got really used to seeing the bright white and red tipped A4s. your tape immediately reminded me of them. Great work!

1319282.jpg

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Testing out different props, seeing what works and what's fun... Maiden flight was on a 10x7, then I flew it on a 9x9 looking for more speed, then flew it on a 10x10!

This is the 10x10 flight:

The 10x10 certainly scoots along real good, but chews up the 3000mAh in about 2-3 minutes! Also, the temp-probe reported the ESC got up to almost 140°F at the end of the flight. O_O

I think I'll try a 10x8 next, as a balance between thrust at speed.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I finally got around to converting this bad boy to use an EDF, and thanks to Kevin Matusik (Mr. Raiden), I got an awesome 'kit' cut that was SUPER easy to build. I don't have the build-pics handy (still on my phone), but I do have a successful maiden video from today! I think that's way more interesting, so here you go:

I think I can get more speed out of it by simply getting a better (higher-C) battery, and a bigger ESC (only on a 60A right now), but even as-is she's a ton of fun!

I DO have plans if anyone is interested. Let me know. Thanks for looking!