I want to fly an A-4 at Flite Fest...

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Well after another two flights, I need to reorganize the innards to move the battery back a bit, so I don't want to post plans that won't work quite right.

Here's video of today's flights:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Short post, but I wanted to get the plans up somewhere because people keep asking. Sorry I don't have a build-walkthrough for the EDF yet, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS about the parts if you attempt the EDF - the process of me answering them will help everyone involved! :D

Attachments

• bhA-4_EDF_v2_PDF.zip
    377.6 KB · Views: 160

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Mid7night,

What size EDF are you using? What C rating for your battery are you using? Are you using a 12 blade? could you provide links to all or almost all the parts you are using?

but all in all so far great work keep it up man!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I'll try and post links later, but you should be able to find it all....

FMS 12-blade 70mm EDF from Banggood

70A ESC of your choice (prolly could get away with 60A)

3000-6000mAh 4S battery - the flights shown were on a 3000mAh 20C, and I've also flown it on a 6000mAh 65C graphene but that didn't improve performance very much.

earthsciteach

YES!!! I think I tossed your first version for you at Flite Fest last summer. That thing was awesome! Flew right out of my hand. You were there with you wife and son, if recall correctly. Hope you are coming back to FTFF east this year. The list of people I only spoke with in passing is way too long!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
YES!!! I think I tossed your first version for you at Flite Fest last summer. That thing was awesome! Flew right out of my hand. You were there with you wife and son, if recall correctly. Hope you are coming back to FTFF east this year. The list of people I only spoke with in passing is way too long!

You remember correctly, thanks! I would love nothing more than to come to FFEast as well this year, however as of now I can only afford one Fest. Since FFWest is just up north from me, I'll be there this year. I'm still trying to work some other angles and make it to Ohio as well, but it's not in the plan yet.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Thanks guys! I just realized I should probably put some video of this jet HERE....especially the one with Josh B. flying it! Enjoy! :cool:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
You've been so prolific that I had forgotten that the A-4 was relatively young. It was great seeing and hearing it in person! (And chasing after it...) Very cool you gave a check ride to another pilot :cool:

I still want one. Need to get an EDF unit.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@mid7night - thanks so much for the set of plans you gave me at FFW!

I hope to have most of the build complete this week, but then I am out of town for a week so it will be a while before I can finish and maiden. I was going to wait until I crashed the Diamond to salvage it's EDF, but its still flying well and so I ordered another. I am looking forward to seeing if the same sound can be created in the A-4 with a 5 blade fan.

I have started the build, working on nose section now.

I have a couple of questions (numbers refer to pic below)

(1) What should I do with these? I have score cut them as indicated but I have not removed the foam yet because I am not sure what to do with the remaining paper - is this to hide the seam with the fuse?

(2) This is the top plate at the rear of the nose that the canopy sits on. There are no score cuts indicated so this makes it look like it sits on top of the nose side plates or it is to be wedged in between the nose side plates (like a b-fold), which doesn't seem to fit well. Can you confirm? I ask because the top plate at the front is score cut and fits in nicely like a b-fold. Should this piece have score cuts indicated?

Thank in advance for your help

DamoRC

Questions 1 and 2 re nose.jpg

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
@mid7night - thanks so much for the set of plans you gave me at FFW!

I hope to have most of the build complete this week, but then I am out of town for a week so it will be a while before I can finish and maiden. I was going to wait until I crashed the Diamond to salvage it's EDF, but its still flying well and so I ordered another. I am looking forward to seeing if the same sound can be created in the A-4 with a 5 blade fan.

I have started the build, working on nose section now.

I have a couple of questions (numbers refer to pic below)

(1) What should I do with these? I have score cut them as indicated but I have not removed the foam yet because I am not sure what to do with the remaining paper - is this to hide the seam with the fuse?

(2) This is the top plate at the rear of the nose that the canopy sits on. There are no score cuts indicated so this makes it look like it sits on top of the nose side plates or it is to be wedged in between the nose side plates (like a b-fold), which doesn't seem to fit well. Can you confirm? I ask because the top plate at the front is score cut and fits in nicely like a b-fold. Should this piece have score cuts indicated?

Thank in advance for your help

DamoRC

View attachment 87337

1) Peel the skinny strip of foam off, leave the paper on the outside. It is there to overlap and help glue the nose onto the fuselage.

2) It's supposed to sit between the side walls, hinge on its front edge, and clasp at its rear with a magnet. I realize now that I didn't include any of the lips for it to rest on at the rear, or the magnet-attach pieces. I'll try and take some pics of that area and post them. Maybe I already did, earlier in the thread....

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks! Totally makes sense - just wanted to make sure. There is a pic on page 2 that shows the magnets and this makes more sense also, now that I have the context.

DamoRC

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Watching. Listening. Made my first Banggood order. A 70 mm EDF & 70a ESC :)

Which one did you order? I am also VERY keen to know if the sound persists with a 5 or 6 blade fan. I'm going to be building a second one with some build mods very soon, and I'm thinking of ordering myself a 6-blade unit. But more people testing and verifying is always a good thing.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Ah. LOL. EXACTLY the same one I had flying in mine at FFWest.

No Fair! Slingshot is certainly guaranteed to get that wonderful sound and I'm the 5 blade guinea pig! :)

Made good progress last night and the EDF may be here today so I hope to have it installed tonight. I like the way the inlets are done with the forward pieces creating the bifurcated inlet and the rearward piece pushing out into the nascelle to guide the air into the EDF. Clever and tidy.

As always, a couple of questions- numbers refer to the pic

(1) Looks like an angle gauge, smells like and angle gauge, but I am not sure what angle it is supposed to be used for
(2) Simply do not know what this is or where it goes.

(3) (not on pic) - is there any additional support needed for the vertical stabilizer?
(4) (not on pic) - any chance you could post a pic of your battery installation?

All in all, I am enjoying this build. The plans work well and the fitment seems good all round.

DamoRC

Questions on fuse.jpg