I want to fly an A-4 at Flite Fest...

JDill

Made a small change to the aft-end of the Skyhawk, slightly opening up the nozzle a bit more ... it makes a HUGE difference! You can fly on PART throttle now, even with a fat 5000mAh 4S! :p

I'll wait 'til SP0NZ has a chance to clean up the plans, and I'll post them here.

Just checking to see: have the plans been updated yet? Your A-4 is on my winter build list!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Just checking to see: have the plans been updated yet? Your A-4 is on my winter build list!

Sorry, I haven’t gotten to it yet. But I think the plans are just waiting for me to upload. They haven’t been re-dressed by SP0NZ yet, but they’re still usable. 😉

I’ll bump that up my list.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Alright, that was easy! I had the latest version done, it's just not been "SP0NZ formatted" yet. I'll update the first post again when he has time to work the plans over.

In the meantime, you can download the latest plans from the first post. Look for the files labeled "XF_A-4_EDF_v8_..."

Main changes:

1. Increased exhaust area (more thrust)
2. Two-Piece Tabbed-and-Slotted Nacelles for easier assembly

dsexton1990

UPDATE: LATEST VERSION IS v8, OUT NOW!! CHECK "ATTACHMENTS" BELOW FOR FILES LABELED "XF_A-4_EDF_v8_..."
(not yet SP0NZ formatted)

Previous version, SP0NZ Formatted Plans Here:

View attachment 98457
View attachment 98454
View attachment 98456
View attachment 98455

So I started building one.

30" wingspan, for the curious.

I've got a ton more pics of the process, if anyone is interested. (also have the plans, of course)

This is mostly a test-build, as I plan on bringing just the paper pattern to FF16 - flying from CA to OH with prebuilt planes is not exactly feasible - but I do plan on taking it all the way to a first flight to make sure it actually, y'know...FLIES. ;)

It's gonna be a puller with a folding prop - cuz that's what I've got. Last night I made a slender power-pod of sorts that the motor/ESC will sit on in the nose - I'll post pics of that later too.

It's a super blocky-build, but it's also pretty darn simple. I went from pattern-on-foam to all pieces glued in about 3 hours - which considering I was making most of the assembly up on the fly, I think isn't all that long.

I'll keep posting progress; I want to get all the electronics in tonight.

Anyone else wanna fly formation with me? :)

Edit: Added color PDF plans, see attachments

View attachment 66410 View attachment 66411 View attachment 66669

Old plans: View attachment 87825
How does the top nose peice go together

LEGZ_FPV

I finally got around to converting this bad boy to use an EDF, and thanks to Kevin Matusik (Mr. Raiden), I got an awesome 'kit' cut that was SUPER easy to build. I don't have the build-pics handy (still on my phone), but I do have a successful maiden video from today! I think that's way more interesting, so here you go:

I think I can get more speed out of it by simply getting a better (higher-C) battery, and a bigger ESC (only on a 60A right now), but even as-is she's a ton of fun!

I DO have plans if anyone is interested. Let me know. Thanks for looking!
I have a 80mm edf if you think that will fit can you send me the plans?

kvcaner

Just ordered an FMS 12 Blade w/2845 KV2750 V2 4s for this build! Can't wait to get started. What sized servos did you use?

kvcaner

Standard Emax or FT 9-gram servos work just fine!
Thanks! Really looking forward to the build! A lot of firsts, first EDF, first scratch Foam Board project.
I've been building and flying RC for over 30 years and I've built planes using just about every technique and style you can name; but I'm always looking for new methods and materials. In recent years I've been looking for lower cost, faster methods of building and have had a great deal of fun building lightweight Depron planes, but the survivability left something to be desired. I've built a few FliteTest designs and have come to love the building techniques and see great possibilites as is evident in your A4 design!

Thanks for what appears to be a fantastic design!

Best Regards,
Kvcaner

kvcaner

Another question occurs to me. Transferring the plans to foamboard. I am assuming you do something like 3M77 the plans to a board, then cut the parts out? Or do you have another method you would recommend?

Best Regards,
Kvcaner

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I either tack the plans down with blue painters tape, or sewing pins. But lately I've been using a 're-stickable' glue stick. It's just a glue stick that doesn't stick TOO much, which is perfect for putting plans on foamboard without harming the paper.

kvcaner

I either tack the plans down with blue painters tape, or sewing pins. But lately I've been using a 're-stickable' glue stick. It's just a glue stick that doesn't stick TOO much, which is perfect for putting plans on foamboard without harming the paper.
Great tip, I'll try the Glue Stick method. Michael's here I come!

kvcaner

Your tip about the Repositionable Glue Stick was spot on! I highly recommend this!!
Cut my first part with ease! 20190425_183235.jpg

kvcaner

Lot's of progress yesterday. I managed to get the whole kit cut out!
I used the v8 plans for the templates and then numbered and labeled the parts per the Sponzified v7 plans. This helped immensely with understanding the build order and part function.

I have two questions however.

In the picture with the Horizontal Stabilizer, is this the correct location for what I believe are "doublers"? Do they go on the bottom of the stabilizer, or the top?

In the last picture, I can't figure out what these parts are for, and where they go.

Best Regards,
Kvcaner

Attachments

• 20190427_104709.jpg
    20190427_104709.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190427_104804.jpg
    20190427_104804.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190427_104742.jpg
    20190427_104742.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0