i WONDER?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I have kind of looked around and have seen a few ideas. But, has anyone tried to scratch build a balsa style plane out of foam board. You would probably still have to use some plywood and hardwood in some areas, but the wing formers and such could be built out of Adams foam board and then covered with Mono? It would be easier to precision cut the pieces and also a lot lighter and you could use hot glue instead of CA in most areas?

Winter is coming and I was thinking about doing something cool...I did see a guy in the UK using ceiling tiles to build planes like balsa building.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
A neat thread to check out is Wilsonman's FFVS J-22 scratchbuild.

It's built out like a sheeted balsa plane with foamboard substituted, and he steps through the scale finishing steps that he uses to accommodate for the difference in the material's properties. If nothing else, the thread is well worth the read just for the tricks and tips sprinkled in, but this thread takes exactly what you're wanting and drives it to competitive scale quality (you, naturally, can stop long before that, depending on your tolerance for rivets ;) ).

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
wOW! That is super cool, just what I was looking for. Some good build tips and opens up some ideas for the future. Thanks!

Mac82

Foam scraps? I got plenty
I've made a j -3 cub from foam board using balsa building style and covered in mono it came out great