idea for a simple aerobatic/3D plane

basslord1124

Master member
All right, I want to add this to my list of winter projects but I had a simple plane idea I want to run by anyone reading this.

First off, this would be my first sort of attempt at a plane that is scratch built and a DIY. Not any kind of FT design...in fact, it may be "plan-less". I am wanting to do a slow flying aerobatic/3D style plane that is profile/slim profile (I think that's the term they call it). So the fuse would be as thick as a sheet of foamboard, as well as the rest of the plane. I have seen videos/pics of planes similar to this. I want something that can fly slow and allow me to practice aerobatics/maneuvers without causing too much damage if I crash. I feel this type of design would be perfect for it. Thinking maybe a sheet or 2 sheets max of foamboard...kinda feel like that'd be enough for a decent size plane to practice with.

So how does this sound? Do-able? Anything I should watch out for? Or maybe some plans already out there I could look at?

Michael9865

Elite member
With indoor season is coming in my area, I have been looking for a good indoor plane also. I like the looks of the thin fuselage designs where they are just wider than the motor and servos. I will be watching to see what you find.

d8veh

Elite member
I have an ultra-light 3d plane. I can only fly it when there's no wind, which isn't very often here. Why not just build a mini Guinea and increase the size of the control surfaces? The two motors give you the chance for differential thrust, which means you can do crazy things with it, and it certainly seems to hover well.

Don't let me put you off experimenting. there's no quicker way to learn than by doing things. I got inspired by the guinea Pig to build a 60" span twin engined 3D plane with symmetrical wing section and neutral incidences, just to see if it works.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I don't know of many good scratch built indoor 3d planes off of the top of my head, but I'm sure there are plenty out there. Check RC Groups for plans, or look at other indoor 3d planes for inspiration. One of the most common (for good reason) is the twisted hobbys crack yak. You can also find the copy cat version on Motion RC (tech one su-29) for under $100 with everything but a receiver.

Michael9865

Elite member
I don't know of many good scratch built indoor 3d planes off of the top of my head, but I'm sure there are plenty out there. Check RC Groups for plans, or look at other indoor 3d planes for inspiration. One of the most common (for good reason) is the twisted hobbys crack yak. You can also find the copy cat version on Motion RC (tech one su-29) for under $100 with everything but a receiver.

On RC Groups is where I found the Infineon By Firetrappe there are plans for a full size and a mini size. I am thinking of trying the mini.

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks for the replies, I have looked a little over at RCG, but not really for this particular project...they have a huge collection of plans! I'll take a look over there and see what I find.

d8veh - Thanks for the suggestion but I kinda decided a while back I was gonna take a little break from twins. I have the FT Seaduck which I love. I also built, crashed, and lost the FT Super Bee (personally I think it was that, that made me wanna stop with twins). I think another part for the break was saving a little bit of money...gotta buy 2 motors, 2 ESCs, etc. Maybe after I tackle this one, I could eventually try an aerobatic twin.