JDizzle93

Carbon-Ripstop airplane

Hi Flitetest staff,

I'm kinda new here, but I already have an idea for a video. We've seen you guys build plenty of planes out of foam, all of which have been great. But here's something We've never seen you do: carbon ripstop models. I'm talking about aircraft consisting of carbon fiber frames, skinned with ripstop nylon. They come in different types, ranging from profile aircraft, to wings, to radio-controlled kites. Many of which can be flown both indoors and out. An example would be the IFO (Indoor Flying Object) series made by Wild Rc, a 3-D capable carbon-ripstop wing which is controlled by elevons and a rudder. There was also a company called AceSim which produced a few carbon-ripstop aircraft. There was the Carbon Traveler Convertible, which was a 3-D capable profile biplane which had a unique set of wingerons (instead of ailerons, the entire wing is mounted on a pivot point to control roll), as well as a full-flying elevator and rudder. The bottom wing could be removed to turn it into a trainer, and it could be flown as either a 3-channel or 4-channel aircraft. AceSim also made the Carbon Falcon, a 3-channel single-engine flying wing that could be flown indoors or outdoors. It was controlled with elevon mixing, but instead of moving flaps, it used a wing-warping system. It also lacked vertical fins, and more closely resembled a kite than a plane. They also made a smaller version of the Falcon called the Carbon Kestrel. Unfortunately, AceSim no longer makes these aircraft, but I believe the Wild RC IFO is still in production. I thought it would be cool if you made your own carbon-ripstop aircraft, and then posted a build video and plans. They have a few advantages over foam aircraft, being that they are lighter, capable of slower flight, easily come apart for portability, and are more durable. Seriously, crashes will not kill these planes. You could ram one into a tree at full throttle and all you'd have to do is pick it up and launch it again. You could basically think of these as tougher, more powerful Night Vapors. The only downsides are that the materials are a little more expensive than foam board and you have to be careful with wind, but the pros outweigh the cons.

Last edited:

JDizzle93

I also thought it would be cool if you made an ultra-micro version, about the size of a Parkzone Night Vapor, using something like a Spektrum AR-6400 or AR-6410