Ideas for plane building workshop...

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
hi guys.. soo i'm setting up a room specifically for building planes in, and i'm looking for ideas, for storage of planes, tools, and any tips you guys might have..
feel free to post anything you wouldve liked to have or that you have in your building space...

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
the simple list is roughly as follows:
  • a flat surface at waist height large enough to work on
  • hand tools appropriate to the materials your building with
    • for foam - an appropriate knife
    • hotglue gun
    • basic hand tools - screwdrivers, pliers, etc
  • appropriate adhesives (Hot Glue for the FT method, other glues for different ways of building)
  • soldering equipment unless you purchase stuff with with connectors on it already
  • some way to organize/store your tools and foam
which is about it for what you need, anything beyond that gets into 'useful' tools that you may or may not need, like a CNC foam cutter, 3D printer, hot wire cutting tools, etc, etc.

Focus on the basics, then consider any 'useful'/additional tools that you can afford and will use if and when you get them. The basics really are just a surface to work on and a few basic tools.

RcLew

Make it big enough, plan ahead, I built my man cave 14'x14' in my basement years ago for my R/C equipment, but now it also has my ham radio equip, wood turning lathe and wood working equip, reloading equip & etc, yeah make it big enough, and you never have enough tools and storage, I don't care what she says. Here's an example, my shop is 30'x42' and it's full, metal lathe, welding equip, lift, etc etc, I told my son when he got his own shop to build it big enough, so he did, it's 60'x90, it's full :LOL:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Yea so I have a room about 5m x 6m
I'm just looking or ideas of all the Extra nice to have stuff...
Ie needle cutter, hotwire, couch, WiFi, etc.... Oh yes and a sound system;)

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Idk what you’re looking for but this works perfect for me
image.jpg
image.jpg

have you seen that grand tour seamen special? its like that
Oh that cute white boat is a Wellcraft Scarab! I just looked it up.
When I was a kid they didn't have the curved windshields yet.

This is a Scarab 38, but they came bigger. All the larger sizes automatically came with bikini passengers.

Wellcraft_brochure1.jpg

You know, for the playpen.

Scotto

Elite member
I wired an extension cord into the lights and plug my hot glue gun into it so I never accidently leave it on all night and day again.