Im a beginner and i need help with nerves and how to fly!

Hasersys

simulators are good for training muscle memory. Getting you used to the appearance of the controls reversing when you are flying towards you and away. But they lack the 3D visual experience and the realistic ding in your pocket book when you crash. Plus, I'm a wizard on the Simulator and can do rolling circles in Helicopter mode but nobody will let me demonstrate on their ship at the field. So I tire of the simulator fairly quick. Still, you will teach your eye/hand co-ordination muscles what to do when a plane is doing something you don't want to. You only need to calibrate your eyes to the real world.

This IS the flite test forum. I suggest buying two sets of gear and building a couple of of FT Flyers, just one of the swappable designs here, and then taking those out to the field on a calm day and flying them. Follow the swappables and swap to a Nutbar, then a Delta wing and then a Bloody Wonder and by then, you're ready for just about anything really. The fact that it will only cost you, probably, 5-10 bucks of Dollar foam board with maybe some extra props, servos, etc. will take the fear factor out of training. Getting an experienced pilot to buddy box you doesn't hurt either. And for basic control, if you don't mind spending the bucks, a Nite Vapor is an excellent flying, easy flying, absolutely no wind slow flying plane that pretty much just flys out of the box. I handed one to my nephew last week, in the dark, and he was flying it around they're back yard.

I hope the original poster is well into flying by now after a full and fun summer. But to you newbies, get out the hot glue gun, get to dollar for supplies and start building some cheap planes that you have no emotional attachment to, get out there and wreck em.

I always found by the way that NOTHING trains a just capable pilot into a fully confident pilot like Combat. Nothing trains a pilot to know EXACTLY what does what like Pattern. And NOTHING is as much fun as getting out with your buddies and just flying, BSing and maybe having a touchngo grudge match.

Actually, there is nothing quite like group flying CL planes with 3 or more people, but alas unless you've got a bunch of buds who want to give that a go you'll never know. It's like flying RC but everybody is walking around a central point, guiding lines and planes over each other, all over the place. It looks like a unrehearsed ballet and it is wonderous fun. Been in a circle of 15 before. Kind of like a cage match really.

My thoughts exactly

Get some thing you are not afraid to crash. some thing cheap. Maybe build it out of foam board. I have a back up beater plane that I am flying right now.. because of turning a funbat into a lawn dart.. but the point is, my beater has, and will again, be crashed into two pieces, and glued and taped back together. So get some thing that you can afford to crash, mentally and financially that is. :p Speaking of, I may go fly it out my back window over the woods.. I can affored to loose this plane.

CripSkillz

is thus a double """ lol I always found by the way that NOTHING trains a just capable pilot into a fully confident pilot like Combat. Nothing trains a pilot to know EXACTLY what does what like Pattern. And NOTHING is as much fun as getting out with your buddies and just flying, BSing and maybe having a touchngo grudge match.

deff get a wing or make one ,, i love mine because i can crash it and keep flying,, and slope combat deff made me better as I didnt want any one to have to get my plane so I just didnt crash, I think they callked me skyking as I would regularly knock everyone on slope out of sky and be last man standin or sittn whatever,,lol

but deff foam it up,, i tought my self at age 12 with foam from kmart trash can sanded airfoil stuck servos in fuse and .049 on nose,, 3 planes later i was loopin n rollin round the back yard...

nowdays popwings my fave recommendation to friends take ya from beginer to well SkyKing..

Good Luck..

woodcutter

I'm a beginner too, I've built the baby blender and crashed at least 8 times! But I'm getting a little better. I'm in the process of building the old foggy, I'm hoping it flies a little easier.

woodcutter

here is one of my crashes my flying buddy says I'm very exciting to have around IMG021.jpg

tramsgar

"May you have an exciting life" is said to be a Chinese curse... But not in this case, I think =). Trees are magnetic, and so is foam.

Jebster69

Noobie to Phoenix v4.0.m Simulator - Looking For Control Profile Setup Help

Hi there im new to flying and i have a Eletric EPP su-29 and i have had 2 flights and im really nervous now after crashing twice aswell, can u give me advice please thanks :D

I noticed that we have the same simulator, which I have bought a few days ago and I am having problems setting up the basic profile because there's only 5 channels available with one switch that stays only in 1 position (Trainer Switch). So I'm wondering if you can help me?

Right now, I have everything working except the Engine Control. As you can see from the list, there are 5 options:

Collective Pitch - Controller Channel 1
Rudder/Tail-Rotor Control - Controller Channel 4
Elevator/Cyclic-Pitch Control - Controller Channel 3
Aileron/Cyclic-Roll Control - Controller Channel 2
Engine Control ??? - Trainer Switch?

Is there a way to set the 0 - 9 Number (PC) Keys to handle the Engine Control, in the Control Profile area of the PhoenixRC v4.0.m Software Program?

Or - Is there another way to set up the Engine Control / Throttle Control on the controller or a laptop / pc?

I'd really appreciate any help you could give me.

Jebster69

MrClean

Engine control on Channel 1. Collective pitch is for helicopters and in their world resides on channel one. What you are using for a transmitter is a 4 channel model. The trainer switch is used when training at the field. Your box is hooked to another box with a cable from the same hole your simulator uses. If it's your plane with a matched receiver to your box your instructor holds your TX and you hold the trainer. He gets the plane up to flying position and pulls that trainer switch putting the flight controls active on the box your holding. You get in trouble he lets go of the switch and recovers the aircraft. A lot better then when we used to hand the box back and forth BUT we still learned how to fly then.

We didn't have simulators back then either, we just had Pong!

Last edited:

woodcutter

I lost my wrecker yesterday. I balanced it so well it wouldn't come down! It was an old foggy scratch build and it went over the woods and hasn't been seen since. :confused:

MrClean

The God of all missing flying models is named Hung. Please use it correctly. As in, " I lost my wrecker yesterday to Hung! Evidently I balanced it so well it wouldn't come down and he took it! It was an old foggy scratch build and it went over the woods and hasn't been seen since."

Not everyone has flown free flight, so I understand that the vernacular needs to be taught from time to time.

Carry on.

Jebster69

Noobie to Phoenix v4.0.m Simulator

Engine control on Channel 1. Collective pitch is for helicopters and in their world resides on channel one. What you are using for a transmitter is a 4 channel model. The trainer switch is used when training at the field. Your box is hooked to another box with a cable from the same hole your simulator uses. If it's your plane with a matched receiver to your box your instructor holds your TX and you hold the trainer. He gets the plane up to flying position and pulls that trainer switch putting the flight controls active on the box your holding. You get in trouble he lets go of the switch and recovers the aircraft. A lot better then when we used to hand the box back and forth BUT we still learned how to fly then.

We didn't have simulators back then either, we just had Pong!

Thanks for the info / help, Mr.Clean! :cool:

stinkydink

Hi there im new to flying and i have a Eletric EPP su-29 and i have had 2 flights and im really nervous now after crashing twice aswell, can u give me advice please thanks :D
the advice for using a simulator for practice is the soundest advice you can get but it also helps with using a trainer to learn how a plane responds to your touch and how you respond to its reaction of your touch...and when you do these you may find your nerves will go away faster and easier.

p-air-o

I know the feeling
buy or build something used and/or cheap ... something you don't mind crashing, something that's easily fixable and gain confidence with it...
helped me a lot getting rid of those shaking hands and knees, which were shaking so hard at the beginning that I had trouble holding on to the sticks ;-)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Simulators are good, I have one. Cheap trainers are good, I have a couple. You really can't beat the experience of flying with experienced guys who can teach you the right way. I always encourage people to seek out other pilots.