I'm a bit confused on TX/Rx binding w/ multiple planes and one Rx

Liemavick

Mentor
Hello Gang and thanks once again for assisting. Heres the deal, I have one DX6i and one matched receiver. I have 6 planes currently built so anytime I would want to fly or setup DR/expo I have to place the receiver into that plane. I have programmed settings and names for each plane in the Tx. Some have there own ESC's, others I have to switch one too in order to fly it.

Whats confusing me is when I place the Rx in a plane which was currently bound, select that plane on my Tx list I get no response. In order to fly it I have to rebind, which sometimes takes 3 or 4 efforts until it does bind.

In a perfect world I would like for each of my planes to have its own Rx, but currently I am with just one.

So what gives? Do I lose the binding each time I unplug the receiver from one plane to another?

Also does the ESC have to be calabrated again with the Tx if its unplugged completely?

You guys are the best,
Brian

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The receiver is bound to one model only. You can take it out and move it as much as you want but it will only react to that one model setup in your transmitter until you bind it to another. You can unplug it as many times as you want but it will still hold to that one memory until rebound. The esc shouldn't have to be recalibrated because it learns the transmitter range and keeps it.

When binding, don't be to close to the receiver or that can cause problems. Be at least 3 feet away.

quorneng

Master member
Hi
A model memory on your DX6i puts a unique code on every signal it sends that will only be recognised by one Rx. The binding process is simply ensuring the Tx and Rx recognise the code.
If you have to move your Rx between models then either it will have to be rebound each time to a new model memory or you will have to set up your planes so they all fly on the same settings - just like we had to before Txs had model memories!

The ESC takes no part in the binding process.

Liemavick

Mentor
FM, Which of the receivers you recommended have you owned? I'm basically a park flyer so the range seems like they would work for me. The one thing Im concerned with is they are all DSM2 and Ive read a couple of comments about the area I fly in having brown outs with DSM2. My gut tells me to grab a couple and give them a try, worse case I buy a couple more sheets of foam :)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
If you're having trouble with DSM2 then your only option sticking with spektrum is DSMX. If your radio doesn't have DSMX then you can have it upgraded or maybe it's time for a new radio or radio system. I've had great luck with DSMX and even the flight test crew which openly hates DSM2 admits that DSMX works just fine where they are at.

Liemavick

Mentor
Thanks AK, I have the DX6i and currently using DSMX. If I stay the course with the DSMX it looks like Ill be picking up a Rx at a time when funds allow. Its awful tempting to grab a handfull of DSM2 there so inexpensive, but i want to fly not introduce more questions into why my plane went down. If it was pilot error so be it, failed equipment just bites in the backside.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
It really does. I use lots of DSM2 where I fly because I don't have any issues with it. I even fly at our local airport sometimes. I currently have an orange rx on my 49" nitro helicopter and don't have issues. Admittedly I wouldn't build up an expensive heli and put it on DSM2 but I would gladly on DSMX. If you are in an area where there's enough rf interference then I wouldn't chance it on anything worth some bucks but I think I might on a sheet foam plane. I understand where you are coming from though. I'll keep an eye out for cheap DSMX rx's.

You know, we find tons of great used and new stuff for really low prices on helifreak sale forums. I bet you could find another forum with sale stuff really cheap as well. I think earthsciteach is always purusing wattflyer. Might check there.